What's new

Well I’m throwing in the towell...

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having the same problem!!!
I bought a humi on cheap humidors .com (or something like that) ,it looked real nice had a glass top and my wife liked the way it looked and found a good spot for it,it was bigger then I figured I needed( it will be to small real soon like every one warned me about)
Know this, my wife will NOT tolerate a Tupperware container sitting out anywhere! So this was a good option.
My problem is dry air,we heat with wood here in the great white north and my weather station says the RH inside is 23% even with a tea kettle boiling away on the wood stove 24/7.
I was really struggling to get the RH up when we started the wood cook stove this year.
So I picked up a Heartfelt tube that was twice the recommended size and still had to hydrate the beads twice and put a shot glass full of distilled water in the humi and after two weeks it has finally stabilized at 65%,I removed the shot glass and the RH is stable.
A tuperdor would have been easer.i think
Next project is a wineador,one of my kids gave me a wine cooler so that will be my next RH challenge

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I am having the same problem!!!
I bought a humi on cheap humidors .com (or something like that) ,it looked real nice had a glass top and my wife liked the way it looked and found a good spot for it,it was bigger then I figured I needed( it will be to small real soon like every one warned me about)
Know this, my wife will NOT tolerate a Tupperware container sitting out anywhere! So this was a good option.
My problem is dry air,we heat with wood here in the great white north and my weather station says the RH inside is 23% even with a tea kettle boiling away on the wood stove 24/7.
I was really struggling to get the RH up when we started the wood cook stove this year.
So I picked up a Heartfelt tube that was twice the recommended size and still had to hydrate the beads twice and put a shot glass full of distilled water in the humi and after two weeks it has finally stabilized at 65%,I removed the shot glass and the RH is stable.
A tuperdor would have been easer.i think
Next project is a wineador,one of my kids gave me a wine cooler so that will be my next RH challenge
Buy a Brick of 20 Boveda (16g) on Amazon for $75 or so in the RH you like, put half in the wineador, the other half in a Tupperware. when the ones in the wino start drying out, change them out with the fresh ones. Add shot glass of distilled water in Tupperware, and by the time the others are dry, the first ones will be recharged.
Works for me just fine. RH in my neck of the woods in the winter is similar to yours.

Last edited:

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy a Brick of 20 Boveda (16g) on Amazon for $75 or so in the RH you like, put half in the wineador, the other half in a Tupperware. when the ones in the wino start drying out, change them out with the fresh ones. Add shot glass of distilled water in Tupperware, and by the time the others are dry, the first ones will be recharged.
Works for me just fine. RH in my neck of the woods in the winter is similar to yours.

Thanks for the advise I'll give that a try

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
@Thebutcher
You could also sandwich bag them with a Boveda 65 or 69, then throw in "fancy wood box" that doesn't work well that we all tried before tupperdores and coolers.

Stupid Tapatalk

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Thebutcher
You could also sandwich bag them with a Boveda 65 or 69, then throw in "fancy wood box" that doesn't work well that we all tried before tupperdores and coolers.

That is a good idea I'm making it work but it is a struggle to keep my RH consistent.
Your right about "the fancy wood box" it does look good

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
The Sistema 1870 Tupperware still blows my mind how long Boveda packs last. I don't even bother with a hygrometer of any kind in there either. It was 63/66% for like 6months even with 20% RH in my house this fall, took the hygrometers out. I can stash them all over the house too

Stupid Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wooden humidors are a huge scam unless you are willing to spend $500 EASILY.
All the crappy $50 desktop humidors are awful and never can hold humidity for any length of time. Too high, too low, bad seal, weird smell etc.

Save yourself the grief and money and buy a large cooler or tupperdor as required.
I moved to Tupperdors for my main stogies, all the prized/expensive stuff is in my wineador.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
The change from cheap wooden to wino has been game changing as far as headache, maintenance, burn quality and flavor. I never have to wonder if a stick sucks because I stored it wrong.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The Sistema 1870 Tupperware still blows my mind how long Boveda packs last. I don't even bother with a hygrometer of any kind in there either. It was 63/66% for like 6months even with 20% RH in my house this fall, took the hygrometers out. I can stash them all over the house too

Stupid Tapatalk
Awesome! Glad it’s working out for you. For 2 years I lived out of a 10 count Xikar travel humidor that i custom built, it did me just fine, especially with Boveda 69’s. I just made sure to burp it once every week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the heartfelt beads. With a mix of a few boveda's and the beads, all my stuff is stable. Love them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the heartfelt beads. With a mix of a few boveda's and the beads, all my stuff is stable. Love them.
I had kind of a love hate relationship with heartfelt. They held up great over the years but were a little finicky to recharge. I even custom made some tubes out of drymistat gel tubes that I cut to size to fit in my Xikar humidor. However I am 100% sold on Boveda and don’t know how I made it without them.

The best thing is that they are also totally rechargeable, even though that’s not exactly advertised on their website. I just simply saturate a paper towel with distilled water, squeeze out the water, wrap up the Boveda, stick in a ziplock and then a Tupperware and let sit for 1/2 a day. They come out as good as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk