What's new

Well, that was quick. Newair or Whytner?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got a nice little 12 bottle wine fridge on amazon for maybe 80$ Shipped. I don’t even plug it in but it looks great and holds humidity like a champ. My place is always between 68 and 72 degrees so no need to run up the electricity bill by plugging it in.
Did you need to do a lot of mods to get it in shape for cigars? I'm intrigued by the cost but I don't want to take on a project just now. I'm more of a plug and play guy until I finish grad school.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Not a thing. Literally taped a sandwich bag over the fan vent on the inside of the fridge so it holds humidity better and that’s it. @AZMurse
No offense Mike, but just for @AZMurse benefit, there's no need to cover the fan. The interior fan doesn't vent, simply circulates.
It can be a good idea to plug the drain hole. I stuck a little cork in it, but silicone or anything would work.
You can catch a scratch and dent from "air and water" super cheap with a discount code. But honestly the 12 bottle is too small for me. I have it dedicated primarily to Habanos, and it doesn't have a lot of spare room, and I really don't have that many.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
No offense Mike, but just for @AZMurse benefit, there's no need to cover the fan. The interior fan doesn't vent, simply circulates.
It can be a good idea to plug the drain hole. I stuck a little cork in it, but silicone or anything would work.
You can catch a scratch and dent from "air and water" super cheap with a discount code. But honestly the 12 bottle is too small for me. I have it dedicated primarily to Habanos, and it doesn't have a lot of spare room, and I really don't have that many.
I think your under estimating how cheap this wino is lol when I say fan vent I mean you can see clear through the damn thing. I’m sure if you have a nicer model this plastic bag trick is unnecessary. But on the cheapo I don’t see any way it would hold a decent RH without it.

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I think your under estimating how cheap this wino is lol when I say fan vent I mean you can see clear through the damn thing. I’m sure if you have a nicer model this plastic bag trick is unnecessary. But on the cheapo I don’t see any way it would hold a decent RH without it.
Hmmm... That's kinda odd. I don't see how it would hold temp in that case.
Yeah, I'd reccomend the scratch and dent newair from airNwater.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hmmm... That's kinda odd. I don't see how it would hold temp in that case.
Yeah, I'd reccomend the scratch and dent newair from airNwater.
My thoughts exactly. I have yet to plug it in and I’m sure it would spontaneously burst into flames if I did. I think they were more concerned with getting a product to market than making a quality product. But for a glorified tupperdor it works perfectly.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like yourself I'm extremely new to cigars but quickly found myself running out of room plus saw 5-6 degree swings in temp throughout the day (night thermostat vs day) and was concerned about temp. After seeing all that was involved with modding (I had no issues and fully intended to do it) I poked around the letgos, FB, etc and came across this:

Retails around $1500, compressor crapped out and the company sent the guy a new one. The insulation is so good I haven't even thought of replacing the cooling unit as our place ranges from 67-72 and the digital thermostat shows it's high and low over 24 hours as 65 while holding perfect at 65%. I'm by no means an expert in the area but I'm going to assume the higher end units just have better insulation to the point where you don't need any cooling if you keep it in a climate controlled house. You may be able to find something similar for about a penny on the dollar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GolfNut

Wineadors.com
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Have been using/building these things for a long time now, and really prefer the Newair coolers. Haven't had to yet, but if the cooling unit ever does crap out, it's a cheap and quick fix to replace with a new one and off you go again. :)

Rating - 100%
157   0   0
Have been using/building these things for a long time now, and really prefer the Newair coolers. Haven't had to yet, but if the cooling unit ever does crap out, it's a cheap and quick fix to replace with a new one and off you go again. :)
@AZMurse Here's a pic of @GolfNut drawers in a NewAir 281e. Fit and finish is (y)(y). My only regret is that I went with the plain front with notch handle. I should've went by the motto 'Buy once, Cry once' and spent the extra money on the upgrades. I still may add round bar handle pull to all the drawers. Anyone ever do that? Post pics if you seen any. Thanks!
20171207_164641 - Copy.jpg

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ran into a godfather offer on a new cc-300. Bed bath and beyond, with their 20% off coupon applied it is <300 shipped before tax. It's on the way so my next task is reading up on seasoning, humidification, care and feeding,etc.

I'm thinking of kl for humidity but I haven't made a final decision yet.

Any and all tips and tricks will be appreciated.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'm thinking of kl for humidity but I haven't made a final decision yet.
First of all, congrats on the purchase! It's exciting to get one of these bad boys.

(Just the) Tip #1: don't rush the seasoning process. It's tempting to think you got the plastic smell(s) out of the winedor after 24 hours and then start filling it up. If you smell even a hint of plastic, wash it/newspaper it/ set it in the sun (whichever method you are using) again.

(Just the) Tip #2: KL will work and it's more cost-effective up front. I've used that method in coolidors and winedors but I find that I need more KL and it takes up too much space. I prefer and strongly recommend heartfelt beads. Their website is crap looking but the product is amazing. I have beads and a few Bovidas throughout my storage and it's always dead nuts on.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First of all, congrats on the purchase! It's exciting to get one of these bad boys.

(Just the) Tip #1: don't rush the seasoning process. It's tempting to think you got the plastic smell(s) out of the winedor after 24 hours and then start filling it up. If you smell even a hint of plastic, wash it/newspaper it/ set it in the sun (whichever method you are using) again.

(Just the) Tip #2: KL will work and it's more cost-effective up front. I've used that method in coolidors and winedors but I find that I need more KL and it takes up too much space. I prefer and strongly recommend heartfelt beads. Their website is crap looking but the product is amazing. I have beads and a few Bovidas throughout my storage and it's always dead nuts on.
I'm struggling with beads in my existing humi. I tried to transition from Bovedas to heartfelt but I can't get the rH above 45% . That story may be a post for a different thread.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I'm struggling with beads in my existing humi. I tried to transition from Bovedas to heartfelt but I can't get the rH above 45% . That story may be a post for a different thread.
I think I remember you posting about that. Sorry.

If beads and Bovedas are not getting your rH at the correct/desired levels, then KL won't either unless you put 10 lbs of it in there. My guess is that there is a leak somewhere in your current setup. With the cc-300, you might try the beads you already have to see if you have the same issues. I'd bet both of @ChuckMejia's good cigars that you get different results. As in, an rH that you are looking for.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

If beads and Bovedas are not getting your rH at the correct/desired levels, then KL won't either unless you put 10 lbs of it in there. My guess is that there is a leak somewhere in your current setup. With the cc-300, you might try the beads you already have to see if you have the same issues. I'd bet both of @ChuckMejia's good cigars that you get different results. As in, an rH that you are looking for.
Thanks for replying so quickly. The existing box is a glass top which I've sealed with food grade silicone. When I use Bovedas it will hold the humidity where I want it so I'm fairly certain there is no leak. I've done the dollar bill test and my hygros are calibrated so I have a fair amount of confidence in my reading. The problem is when I go from Bovedas to just beads The RH drops drastically and won't get above 45%.

I've heard plenty of good things about beads so that prompted the attempt to change to them alone.

I live in Arizona where it is always dry. The Ambient rH in the room stays around 20%.

I'm using about 200% of the recommended quantity of beads.

I'm lost.

ChuckMejia

The General
Rating - 100%
122   0   0

tell him to get a fan and maybe plug the drain whole. :)

ihu