What's new

Well what do YOU shave with?

Dr. Xikar

The Knife Doctor
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
University of Mount Union, Alliance, Ohio
Me? Straight razors.

I'm 19, and two years ago I used a straight razor for the first time. For the first 7 or 8 months I used one that I had bought, new and sharpened. At the 7-8 month point, I decided to buy a set of hones (grits: 400, 1000, 3000, 5000, 8000, 12000 and 16000) and sharpen my own razors (antique ones) so that I could stop buying expensive new ones. Well, around the 1year mark I invested in a TON of buffing wheels, the whole gamut of greaseless compounds from 80grit to 600 grit, and a ton of non-greaseless that maxes out at 2000 grit, A Baldor model 314 buffer, arbor extensions and a top o' the line dremel (can't remember the model number)

For the last year or so, I've been buying antique straight razors and restoring them, grinding, buffing, honing, occasionally rescaling (Scale is the correct name for the handle/sheath that the blade closes into.)

Why? It's a fantastic shave, it has that nostalgic joy to it, it makes me feel like a badass, and working on the blades, stropping, honing, it's all a lot of fun! cheers Plus you can turn a pretty penny restoring and selling razors once you establish your name as someone who knows what they're doing. But damn, is it hard to hone a straight razor. It's like nothing I've ever done before, the angles, pressure, and all kinds of weird strokes. Took me about 6 months to get my first razor truly shave ready. Now I restore razors, make strops, and will soon try my hand at making brushes.

Well, that's enough blathering from me, here's some eyecandy: My 5 favorite razors, restored by 3 fantastic craftsmen (I had professionals do the restoration because of the value [both monetary and sentimental] of the 5 razors)

WorldMaster 194 in Blue Pauashell scales:

Joseph Rodgers, Pearlite and Reynolds, all done by the same guy:

And my pride and joy: George Wostenholm in Buckeye Burl with a matching Brush. This thing is HUGE

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Very nice collection. They look great.

I used a mach 3 for a while, switched to Schick Quattro and now i used the Gillette Pro Glide and it's been my best shave so far.

Probably won't switch to a straight razor. More work to shaving than I'm interested in.

Last edited:

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Electric, here.....Brian something or other.

Your interest and collection are very cool! Anything handmade is very cool, especially tools of a trade.

Thanks for sharing :)

Rating - 90%
9   1   0
I just use a Braun 5 Series electric razor. It gets a really close shave (almost as close as my old Gillette Mach 3) without risk of nicking myself. Plus I think using it cheaper in the long term. The only downside for me is that it takes a little longer to shave versus using a razor. But I like using it.

And hey, bravo on your business with the straight razors. That is super cool and few people take the time to learn a trade these days, especially at your age. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I tried a straight razor once. Never have I bled so much in my life. Now I use a double edge safety razor with soap and brush.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Nice sharps Jere! I'm surprised you don't have the new Xikar straight razor?
Just kidding lol, I know you would of been the first to grab one! I use an electric clippers shave and shape up the side burns, mustache at the same time. :thumbsup: Nice thread!

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Gillete ProGlide here. I'd like to try a straight razor eventualy but I can't see spending several hundred dollars on just the razor, let alot a strop and all the other stuff.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Excellent pics and way cool razors. I bought a restored straight razor from Jeremy a while back and greatly enjoy the pleasure of a fantastic shave now. Took a while to get comfortable with technique and still improving with each use. Jeremy is the man if you're looking to get into this and he's a great brother to trade/buy with.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Kent badger brush, merkur progress DE. Best shave in the world. I go back in forth from cream to shave soaps.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I haven't gotten up the nerve to try a straight razor. I use my Granddad's safety razor he had in WWII. He was the type who is never wasteful. I think he'd get a kick out of his razor still being used.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Very cool... As much as I would like to shave with one of those, I'm pretty sure I'd f****** kill myself. :grin:

I use the Proglide, & King Of Shaves as a gel. KOS is great stuff. I'm pretty sensitive on the neck, & get irritated in that area pretty easily... Only way I've found that helps, is shave either in, or directly out of the shower.

Anyone who has any better recommendations on gel, feel free to share... My pansy arse neck would appreciate it. lol

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm 19, and two years ago I used a straight razor for the first time.
Let us know how that works out for you when you start growing real facial hair instead of peach fuzz.

:hysterica:hysterica:hysterica

My stubble can take the skin clean off a womans inner thigh. A straight razor in my bathroom would turn her into Lorena Bobbit when I fell asleep.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I've been meaning to ask if that was a straight razor in your avatar. Beautiful blades, just wow. I've always had a blade fascination, but I've never come across any straight razors that were nice enough to add to the collection. Wouldn't dream of using one, as is noted, too much time and effort for me. Electric for me most times, Mach3 or Fuzion (whatever I have refills for) when I let it get too long. I like the smoothness of a razor shave, but the electric does the job with less mess and hassle for most occasions.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome... About 10 years ago, I ventured into using a badger brush and saddlesoap for a lather with the intent of trying a straight razor, but never got around to it. Eventually I gave up on the brush and soap, and went back to the old standby. It's nice to see there is still a good amount of interest in the classic shave.