LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Here's my regular cigar storage routine:

buy more than one of something
smoke one now!
take the rest out of the box and remove the celo
store in tupperware (cleaned out and no plastic smell) humi at 72RH with cedar from Liga Privada boxes
when I wanna smoke something from the humi I "dry box" it at 65RH for a week or 2. Also tried at 60RH but found that too dry for my taste.

The rested smokes never taste as good as the originals. I expect them to be mellower but they are consistently "less awesome" than the first one.

Is it all in my head or am I making some noob mistake?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I would never store them at 72% for any length of time. That is way to wet IMHO, 65-68 is good. Some sticks, especially LFDs even get dry boxed for a day before I smoke them or they won't burn well.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Personally, I would never store them at 72% for any length of time. That is way to wet IMHO, 65-68 is good. Some sticks, especially LFDs even get dry boxed for a day before I smoke them or they won't burn well.
What Daryl said! 65% is my personal target #.

USCG Cigar Newb

USCG Cigar Newb
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Agreed 72 IMO is too high. I keep mine 65 to 69 but I dont dry box for long (maybe i should?). All cigars are different obviously. I am still a newb to, but thats what has worked for me so far and seems to be the generally consensus.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
No, storing and smoking at 65% is what I am saying for me personally. Everyone has their own number, but I think most will say 65-69% works.
Agreed that smoking RH is a personal preference. Thanks everyone for the replies. Does storing at 72RH for any period of time change the cigars in a way that cannot be remedied by dryboxing?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just store them at a preferred smoking RH before smoking, makes shit easier.
This.

Agreed that smoking RH is a personal preference. Thanks everyone for the replies. Does storing at 72RH for any period of time change the cigars in a way that cannot be remedied by dryboxing?
Damp cigars can burn unevenly and take on a heavy and acidic flavors. I think it may take longer than the 1-2 weeks you use to attempt to bring the humidity back down. These RH changes could very well be affecting your flavors.

Consistent RH for storing and smoking will most likely help you gain consistent flavors and smoking pleasure.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Yep, I store at 65% accept Habanos (and some lanceros) which are closer to 60%.

If I get a tight draw after cutting, I'll dry box for a couple days. Other than that, grab it from the bin, cut, light, enjoy!

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Is it possible you like the way they smoke when they're a little wetter? If you're getting the most enjoyment of them straight from the shop you may actually like them closer to 70% or so. Have you tried smoking one without dry boxing?

-Charles

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my cigars between 65 and 67%. When I buy cigars, I usually don't smoke them for at least 3 weeks and let them rest in my humidor. I have a few humidors that are for resting and another that I smoke from and rotate once a month or so goes by. I also have a humidor that is for aging.

-Joe

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Great advise here at botl as usual. All my smokes are mid to high 60s and the only time I have issues is when I'm smoking an LP9 and love it so much that I smoke too fast :)

Get rid of the Liga Privada leaves in your humi, they don't need it (my opinion, of course). Keep it simple and keep cigars that come in plastic, in their wrap until you smoke 'em. My 2 cents...ignore any advice you don't like :) :)