What's new

What are these globs?

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it happens more with torps and belis due to the shape. I've only had it happen once, but that was on a Churchill or gordo. I can't remember exactly. I cut a little deeper and it stopped, but definitely left a bad taste in my mouth regarding that cigar, excuse the bad pun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You my friend get the paying attention award on Botl for the year....

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
@Rupe nailed it. Where and how. Happens on any cigar. But I had it happen very frequent on the CH Drumsticks. I quit smoking them because I ran out, not because of tar issues...
Once I learned to pace myself, it hasn't happened much since. Also, never seen tar that color before. It's always been dark brown/black.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I have had it happen with everything from dog rockets to crowned heads sticks to Opus X. Also, size does not matter either apparently as it has happened for me with everything from lanceros to beli's.

From my experience I think that it has more to do with where and how you are smoking it more than anything. The "where" being temperature and humidity. For the most part it happens to me when it is cool outside and the humidity is high (think foggy). The "how" has to do with the speed that I smoke at. I have noticed that if I am smoking faster and not taking a reasonable amount of time between puffs (minimum 60-90 seconds) or if I double puff it is more likely to happen. Actually thinking about it, sometimes smoking too fast also results in a split wrapper (aka cigar blowing up) like you posted in the Today's smoke thread yesterday. Not 100% sure if it is either of those factors or a combination thereof but that seems to be when I see it the most.

Slowing down and periodic purging should help. And just like @THEMISCHMAN if it does happen I will slice a little bit more off the end and keep going.
Rupe wins the thread. This is all 100% spot on. Vitola might have something small to do with it... but the real drivers of a cigar tarring-up are weather and smoking speed without purging.

Fix: Clip off the end, and continue smoking, remembering to purge once in a while.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Rupe wins the thread. This is all 100% spot on. Vitola might have something small to do with it... but the real drivers of a cigar tarring-up are weather and smoking speed without purging.

Fix: Clip off the end, and continue smoking, remembering to purge once in a while.
I disagree.
Considering it's only ever happened to me on a belicoso shaped cigar. Inside a cigar lounge. On a few different brands. And only on shallow cut heads of belicosos....
Also after I quit shallow cutting the heads it went away. I've never had another.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever had a seed/stem show up in their cigar?

Got one in a Montecristo Classic a few weeks ago, which is where I'd least expect it.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Anyone ever had a seed/stem show up in their cigar?

Got one in a Montecristo Classic a few weeks ago, which is where I'd least expect it.
I've heard more than one cigar blender say that the stem is fine and adds much of the taste to the cigar.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I disagree.
Considering it's only ever happened to me on a belicoso shaped cigar. Inside a cigar lounge. On a few different brands. And only on shallow cut heads of belicosos....
Also after I quit shallow cutting the heads it went away. I've never had another.

Right, so in that case the shape had a small influence but does it happen to every shallow-cut belicoso? Probably not.

But it has happened to me in colder months with straight-cuts on larger RG cigars, too. In fact, it has happened with a variety of vitolas, in a variety of situations using v, straight, and hole punches... the only unifying thing was cooler/wetter weather her in California.

Can we do another spreadsheet study? I'm down for some science. Someone get @JDog... (sidenote: anyone heard from him lately?)

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
I have had it happen on couple of cigars and it was awful. Not exactly sure what the cause, but I assumed it was a combination of the cut and way I was smoking it.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I'm of the opinion that speed is a factor, but vitola matters much more. I generally always smoke at a pretty leisurely pace, and can say that no cigar I've ever had leaked more than Fuente's 888 anejo. It happened so bad on both that I've smoked, the others in the 5 pack ended up getting passed out to friends with a disclaimer.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm a fuente whore, and as @ZippoGeek can attest, I've had at least a dozen "tar incidents" from this particular brand of cigar. It happens. I don't have a clue as to why, but every single episode has happened with a fuente. It happens. I'm not sure why, but it doesn't affect my love of the brand. Imo, they make the best line of smokes. It comes with the territory.
I'm still a Fuente fan boy. IMO, they make the best smokes, hands down. JMHO

atllogix

It's not @ Logix
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Im surprised @sofc didn't mention RH issue.

Ive had it a couple times most memorable was a Pepin La Sirena Corona. Just lick it off, sip some drank, and continue to plow through that thang.

Sent from my 2nd Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935V

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Im surprised @sofc didn't mention RH issue.

Ive had it a couple times most memorable was a Pepin La Sirena Corona. Just lick it off, sip some drank, and continue to plow through that thang.

Sent from my 2nd Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge SM-G935V
Not an RH issue I don't think.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I got that last week. Cool weather, super humid, and was smoking fast feeling rushed. Ruined it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk