What's new

What are yalls thoughts on esquisicat?

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
how awesome is that!!! The title of the paper above is demystifying silica gel.....here's a c/p from that article:

"differences between the adsorption and desorption m values are due to hysteresis, which occurs when the emc/rh isotherm for adsorption and desorption are not the same (fig. 6). In order to account for hysteresis, it is necessary to repeatedly cycle silica gel through the rh range of interest until the moisture content at the top and bottom of the rh range become constant and repeatable (fig. 7). However, if it is not possible to experimentally determine the m value within a specific rh range, it can be approximated from the silica gel emc/rh isotherms for adsorption and desorption."

if that isn't demystifying, then what is????? Lol
lmfao!!

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
the guy who wrote the article in the third link is who taught me everything that i know about beads and silica gel

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Reading into that second link, and assuming kitty litter is regular density (because it probably IS the most readily available) then its stating that kitty litter isn't what you would want to use.

I guess I still don't get the point in arguing it. $100 in HCM beads has performed better for me than $50 in Heartfelt beads ever did. I have a hard time believing cat piss absorber is going to outperform that. Even if it IS going to be any better...it's $100. That's what...10 premium cigars? Zero effort in training? 100% peace of mind? To me that is MORE than worth for my hobby. And I don't have to worry about stray cats taking a leak on my cigars.
From these suppliers, it looks like your first assumption is wrong.

http://www.shchangquan.com/en/listzt1.asp?id=1321

http://kindtrading.manufacturer.globalsources.com/si/6008840256286/pdtl/Pet-toilet/1039992555/Silica-Gel-Cat-Litter.htm?source=RSS_Hd

Amen J, amen.... now if we could get all 9 of these KL threads merged....
Maybe there are 9 KL threads because no one put in the effort to create a definitive answer and then ask that it becomes a sticky. You only have yourself to blame.

Why do I punish myself by reading these friggin threads!!!!!!!!!!!

Where is headbanger when you need him?
The "douchey" fact searching continues...

elia.jon1

newb
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
hmmmm....I don't know.....I'm pretty darned I pay exhorbitant amount for electric heat instead of just burning logs in the middle of the living room....for...hmmm....maybe that one's worth a try.....
:)

i know its off my topic but getting rid of electric heat was the best thing i ever did....you want winter cigar money....how bout 40$ electric bills in every month that isn't 90 degrees plus

elia.jon1

newb
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
if it matters i didn't train the kl. i just bagged it dried it out and tossed it in the cooler for a few days with some empty boxes....it all leveled itself out.

now where i live the humidity stays in "the range" if not higher. so maybe by being in my part of the country the little got trained on its own.

i will keep my eye on it when the weather warms up but if it stays rock steady i got a ton of it left to use

and my bags are the large filter bags from petsmart

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I chimed in about this in another thread- I use the KL in my wineador and it stays rock solid. My end table humidor is opened too frequently causing sustained drops when using KL (and it may not be as perfectly airtight), so I use boveda packs which seem to do a good job.

In the summer humidity isn't a problem, only when the gas heat is on.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
20 humidors of varying sizes ( 50-300 count ) testify to the virtues of KL. I became a convert over a year ago from beads. Beads work but after trying to justify the pricing for all of my humis it got to be a PIA and the beads I got are from HF...and I've had em for about 3 years. For $15 I was able to replenish ALL of my humis and I still have half a jug left and they are rock solid at 65% in my humidors except for the ones I want at 62 or 68%...just give em a spritz and wait 24 hours and you'll see where you're at RH wise. Very easy to find your exact % that you want to keep em at. I check my humidors every 3 months for any variance and the most they are off is 2%.

falconman515

Central Cali Cigar Crew
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I was new to cigars 6 months ago .... since then I have purchased a 28 Bottle NewAir Unit with 7 SC trays, 2 digital hygros, 2 oust fans and 2 1lb bags of this Kitty Litter.

My cooler has been Rock Solid at 63-65% Rh and I have only sprayed the bags once since!

Some can;t fathom throwing in KL with expensive cigars but it in no way shape or form hurts them and essentially is the same things as beads truly.

I did TONS of reading on this before going that route ... Infact my first cooler had regular beads and once I switched over tot he KL my RH held way more steady then it did with the beads.

To each his own I guess but there would NO way I would pay for beads after the experience I have had with my Cat Piss Crystals! :)

I would be happy to answer any questions you may have or provide you with a HUGE link to thread I know of that hundreds of brothers have chimed in on and gave their thoughts and opinions on this subject.

For me .... Go KL and never look back ... I haven't ... and saved a bunch in the meantime.

FYI: Here is the link to my build .............http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=56600

_

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive got a question.....im somewhat new to cigars,

if you use the unscented kl will it make your cigars taste any different than if you are to used the hf beads?