What's new

What are you grilling/smoking?

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
A little cooler works wonders. Wrap w foil. If it’s small you can take up some space with towels.

I carpenter a little in the off-season. I’m a farmer as my number one. Got some cattle andraise crops
Thanks for the tip! I never would have thought of that.

Farmer eh??? So you might appreciate a good country song?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This egg thing is interesting. @Texican has a very unique setup as well.
I'd like to up my game, but not sure which way to go. I'd love to get a smoker too. Decisions, decisions....
Yup! Here's my grill:

And my smoker:

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
That’s a huge firebox, nice! I don’t often get the chance to use my log-burner anymore, between work and the kids. I won a Pit Boss vertical pellet smoker on the radio a few years ago, and have used that for most of my smoking cooks ever since. I miss using my offset, though. It’s made of iron about 1/4” thick, and smokes like a dream! Yours has one helluva chimney, too!

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I do like the egg quite a bit. I’m still learning it
If I were buying one for myself I’d go with the kamado joe. Same thing little less money and comes with all the accessories the egg doesn’t come with. One thing I really like is it’s super easy on charcoal. It’s air tight so if you shut the chimney and intake off it saves all the coal and snuffs the flame. I toss some small oak chunks in when I’m done and let it burn then snuff it. Pretty much keeps itself full of coal.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
But there’s lots you can do with a million different setups on any grill
This is the key right here. I used to be absolutely stuck on offset smoking only until I really really buckled down and learned the ways of indirect grilling. It sure opened up a lot more opportunities for firing up the pit because as @Capn_Jackson mentioned, finding the minimum 6+ hours it takes to do a offset smoke is damn near impossible most times. I get to fire mine up 4 times a year if I'm lucky, so a 1.5-3 hour indirect grill session is much more feasible, and the food turns out great.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This is the key right here. I used to be absolutely stuck on offset smoking only until I really really buckled down and learned the ways of indirect grilling. It sure opened up a lot more opportunities for firing up the pit because as @Capn_Jackson mentioned, finding the minimum 6+ hours it takes to do a offset smoke is damn near impossible most times. I get to fire mine up 4 times a year if I'm lucky, so a 1.5-3 hour indirect grill session is much more feasible, and the food turns out great.
I learned to use my Weber kettle for the same purposes, to an extent. Especially with the slow n sear accessories, I can do direct and indirect in the same session. Later this week I’ll be doing fajitas. Searing the meat, then veggies on a slow n sear griddle on the indirect side. I’ll be sure to post some pics, think I’m doing that Wednesday.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I learned to use my Weber kettle for the same purposes, to an extent. Especially with the slow n sear accessories, I can do direct and indirect in the same session. Later this week I’ll be doing fajitas. Searing the meat, then veggies on a slow n sear griddle on the indirect side. I’ll be sure to post some pics, think I’m doing that Wednesday.
Nice! I also recommend a Vortex (really just the off brand one from Amazon is just fine). It doesn't work for all applications, but it is amazing for chicken wings, especially if you're making a lot of them at once.

Capn_Jackson

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nice! I also recommend a Vortex (really just the off brand one from Amazon is just fine). It doesn't work for all applications, but it is amazing for chicken wings, especially if you're making a lot of them at once.
Oh yes! I have a Vortex and an Arteflame plancha-style griddle insert around it. Love doing wings this way! Also burgers work well like this. I’m actually thinking of doing a “lobster party” using the same method.

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Yup! Here's my grill:

And my smoker:

View attachment 168824
I was actually talking about that Droid looking BBQ you have. That thing is cool! This smoker/grill is very nice too!