What's new

What caused this and what do I do?

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
So I purchased a box of FFP's about a month back from a shop that came up on the "cigar deals" thread here. A member was looking for a 5'er of them the other day so I figured I could just split the box with them since I don't need the whole box. Well, when I opened the box up I found 2 of the sticks with some damage to the foot. (see picture)

Image 5.jpg

I am sure some of you guys have seen this before or maybe dealt with it yourself before. Any idea what might have cause this?
What should I do about it? Call the shop? I just don't know what they will do since it is a month later, but I guess you never know if you don't call. I saw someone else here that had some damage to some of there box and called the rep.
Just trying to get some advice as to what I should do.

Thanks for the help guys.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Likely damaged in shipping or they could have dried out too much and cracked. Were they in cellophane? the original shipments didn't come cello'd.

Since it has been a month I would be surprised if any shop would be willing(or have the inventory for that matter) to replace them. The shop is only responsible for the cigars for a short period of time after you receive them.

My advice... Smoke em

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Likely damaged in shipping or they could have dried out too much and cracked. Were they in cellophane? the original shipments didn't come cello'd.

Since it has been a month I would be surprised if any shop would be willing(or have the inventory for that matter) to replace them. The shop is only responsible for the cigars for a short period of time after you receive them.

My advice... Smoke em

The box was shrink-wrapped and they were in cello but I just put the box in the coolidor. Rookie move not opening them right away I guess.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I agree with Craig Mac on this one. From the looks of the damage the cigars may have over dried to the point of any movement caused the wrapper to split. I've had it happen on a couple of occasions where I was sent cigars and seeing as I live in Canada the shipments take even longer to make it over the boarder and the cigars dry out and then crack.

Seeing as this damage is at the foot of the cigar it isn't a big issue cause once you start smoking it by the first 20 min the damage will disappear. You may have a little bit of a wacky burn but it will pass. Just don't touch it to much or it will spread.

JM.

Sent from my Tapatalk 2 using iPhone. Bahahahaha ass backwards.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
The box was shrink-wrapped and they were in cello but I just put the box in the coolidor. Rookie move not opening them right away I guess.
I thinks it's easy to just toss em in the humidor, but one should always inspect them when they come in so you can address any possible issues. Especially with cigars that are known for having shipping issues like some of the Unico Serie, Fine and Rare, etc... due to packaging.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Looks like a moisture problem. I always keep a bottle of "El Ligador" in stock. I've seen other products mentioned here. It has saved me a fortune by repairing split or unraveling cigars. I'll keep a dog rocket or two around to salvage pieces of wrapper to make patches from. Come to think of it, this usually happens near the cap/head of the cigar, because I know I rarely have actually smoked the patches. I run my patch cigar under the faucet very briefly, dampen the wrapper and make it flexible, unroll a little and cut a piece with scissors, cement it over the damage of the good cigar with the adhesive. They dry back out very quickly. The heat and humidity has been terrible here in the north-east lately and I've paid hell trying to keep the humidity down in my cigar case. I anticipate a few such repairs this year from the weather we've had.

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
This happened alot to the UF-13's. one of the overpriced B&M's in my area got 8 boxes, 6 of them were damaged. The owner was so pissed of he called DE direct and they told him to go punt, basically. So, before he opened the last 2 boxes he offered them to me at cost ($68). Catch being, buyer beware. God was looking out for me, 1 damaged in 2 boxes. I didn't have the heart to tell the guy they were great. Like many guys here said, they're putting everything in cello from now on. I don't think it's a rookie move to not open and inspect every box. Some guys like to leave them sealed. Me, I gotta look at them, smell them and then SMOKE THEM!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
FWIW that looks like impact damage to me, not humidity issues. shit happens. and contact the shop, but do it nicely just to feel them out. i wouldn't expect anything, but you never know.

now, the plus side: DE has AMAZING construction values! i have ham-fisted UC, T52, and LP9, and was given a rat and an L40 with significant damage on a dare to see if they were smokable. the L40 is still en stashe, but everything else burned for me DEAD EVEN. hell, a UC robusto i got for a blind review had a crack along the length of the cigar, basically from 1/3 to the band, and had one of the best burn lines ever (apart from the wrapper pulling away slightly). i would bet you an opus that those guys will still be tasty and perform very well, barring any further damages. o)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll second javajunkie on the construction. it may not look as pretty, but you'll still be pleased with the smoking results.

FWIW that looks like impact damage to me, not humidity issues. shit happens. and contact the shop, but do it nicely just to feel them out. i wouldn't expect anything, but you never know.

now, the plus side: DE has AMAZING construction values! i have ham-fisted UC, T52, and LP9, and was given a rat and an L40 with significant damage on a dare to see if they were smokable. the L40 is still en stashe, but everything else burned for me DEAD EVEN. hell, a UC robusto i got for a blind review had a crack along the length of the cigar, basically from 1/3 to the band, and had one of the best burn lines ever (apart from the wrapper pulling away slightly). i would bet you an opus that those guys will still be tasty and perform very well, barring any further damages. o)

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I doubt that there is anything that you did to cause this. As a retailer I would replace these smokes if they were sold in my shop. Normally the company will replace these because they do not want someone smoking cigars of theirs that are not top quality. Any time we have cigars damaged from shipping we are taken care of by the manufacturer

Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I agree - definitely impact damage - most likely occurred during shipping - think about it - cigars have to go all the way from Nica to Miami - then Miami to the retailer - then from the retailer to you - lots of opportunity for being handled to roughly.

The retailer should replace them, but if he won't or can't contact DE and they will...

BR,

STS