What's new

What city is the best "Sports Town?"

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
How bout them Chargers!!
What about them? Their ability to bleed an organization dry? Get rid of players they should have built a franchise around? Never actually do something post season?

Dear lord. My dad is a die hard raiders fan so as a kid I picked the chargers to be my team just to irk him. I could only be more let down if I was a lions fan

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've had this discussion with numerous friends over the years. There are many ways to look at this.... number of available teams in the vicinity (NY for example). Number of championships (Boston for example). Most dedicated fans despite teams having no recent success (Toronto). Coolest traditions (Green Bay ... I hate you). But it boils down to one simple thing.... We are right, and everyone else is wrong. Chicago is clearly the best sports town. Even when we are bad (cub's) we are still beloved.

That said... I'd like to officially rescind my nomination of Chicago. My fellow Chicago fans are obnoxious meatball idiots. No offense to you BOTL meatballs.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
There are three contenders: NY, Boston, Chicago. Nowhere else comes close (sorry, my adopted City of Angels...).

All 3 cities have major teams -- historic teams -- and a large, rabid pro fan base that extends to other regions, and many colleges.

Chicago is out. The Bulls haven't won since the early 90s. The Blackhawks have a couple of recent wins, but hockey is a niche sport. I don't know much about the Bears lately (which is a bad sign), and the Cubs.... well... let's just not. Nobody cares about the White Sox, even in Chicago.

New York, New York. It's a helluva town. If we were living in the 40s, or maybe the 60s, I'd say they were tops. But lately? The celebrated Yankees have won 1 title in the 21st century, and they're cursed with A-Roid. They're not going anywhere and the team & farm system are a mess. And with all that $$$... And the Knicks have never been good (Patrick Ewing? Carmelo Anthony? Really?). Couple of Superbowl championships for the Giants are good for them. Neither hockey team has won in forever.

Boston. They don't call it "Titletown" for nothing. Just in the last 13 years: 3 Superbowls, an NBA title, a Stanley Cup and 3 World Series. The highest concentration of colleges and universities on earth. A long, cold winter with nothing to do but drink and watch sports on TV, and a long warm summer at Fenway, the oldest park in baseball. The Celtics Dynasty of the 50s and 60s. The continuing hatred of Belichick and Brady for their perennial contender status. A 2013 Red Sox team that was in a rebuilding year and won it all. The Boston Marathon.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Arizona would be another good one. You have the Cardinals and Diamondbacks. Also have a Nascar Race Track, a PGA Tour event, NHL Team, NBA Team and ASU. Not to mention they are a major hub for preseason baseball.
Not to sound like a homer because I moved here in 2004, but this really is a big sports town.

The cactus summer league for pro-baseball...I also, since I moved here, have been under the impression that this is mainly a Basketball town.

This is probably perception more than reality.

For one thing, I moved here in 2004 so I came at the very beginning of the Mike Dantoni "7 seconds or less" era...so the Suns were THE team around here.

Also, the baseball team is the only one that has won a championship, so it would seem baseball holds the most weight.

Having moved here from Atlanta, that city is so fair weather, and maybe its the great weather here but people support all the teams no matter what.

I think PHX is just overlooked because we are a new city and don't have the history of Boston or New York but the fans here are rabid.

(okay, that whole thing sounded pretty homer of me)

*brought to you by the phoenix tourism board, lol

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It's Seattle, obviously.

Hahahaha, sorry I couldn't say that with a straight face. If you're looking for "most bandwagon fans" we might qualify. The answer is obviously Boston.