What's new

What Cuban cigar had the best flavor profile for you?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I had the very distinct and rare pleasure of smoking a cigar that came straight from the private collection of Fidel Castro. A friend of mine is a personal friend of his and he goes down and as a gift, Fidel gives him a couple boxes of these cigars. They are the largest cigars I have ever seen, standing at about 9.5-10" and about a 56-60 ring gauge. takes about 5 hours to smoke, but the profile is the most complex and incredible flavor profile that I have ever come across. Fortunately, I have another half dozen of them and will probably only smoke them for huge events in my life, like my wedding in a couple of years and my first child. Kind of like a first growth Bordeaux, you don't drink them unless it is a super special moment!

Slaínte
James

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Had a few CC's on my vacation to St.Barts last summer. I had only smoked about 5-10 sticks up to that point. Had a Monte Open Regatta that didn't do anything for me. A Partagas D4 that gave me a huge N-kick, which made me not enjoy it as much as I would have liked. The cigar that I enjoyed the most was the RA Superiores. It didn't give my rookie pallet a ton of flavors but it was very smooth and consistent which made it very enjoyable. So much so that I bought a couple boxes.
I just picked up a box of Monte #2's and a box of Cohiba Behike 52's that I am chomping at the bit to try. I'm going to let them sit a couple months but I will make sure I let you guys know how I like em.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
^ just as a friendly suggestion- unless the cigars are super-fresh i.e. 5-7 months since the box date you may want to wait at least 18 months from the box date to give them a shot. If you can wait 3-5 years all the better. You may already know all of this but I wanted to put it out there.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
I had the very distinct and rare pleasure of smoking a cigar that came straight from the private collection of Fidel Castro. A friend of mine is a personal friend of his and he goes down and as a gift, Fidel gives him a couple boxes of these cigars. They are the largest cigars I have ever seen, standing at about 9.5-10" and about a 56-60 ring gauge. takes about 5 hours to smoke, but the profile is the most complex and incredible flavor profile that I have ever come across. Fortunately, I have another half dozen of them and will probably only smoke them for huge events in my life, like my wedding in a couple of years and my first child. Kind of like a first growth Bordeaux, you don't drink them unless it is a super special moment!

Slaínte
James
Hear something new every day... :scratchhe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From Cuban I like Cuban Cuban Cabinet. I also really like the Ccom Cuban Label. Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic is another good one. The new Ccom Sungrown Label is a real spice

Last edited:

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
^ just as a friendly suggestion- unless the cigars are super-fresh i.e. 5-7 months since the box date you may want to wait at least 18 months from the box date to give them a shot. If you can wait 3-5 years all the better. You may already know all of this but I wanted to put it out there.
This used to be the requirement, but isn't so much any more. I've had some great recent-production cigars within the last couple months, a '13 RA Superiors among them. A lot of guys are finding great cigars from more recent production.

Hear something new every day... :scratchhe
lol. I'd very much be interested in seeing some photos and hearing more about these 10" Fidel Castro customs!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I agree with the recent production being great, but those '13 Superiores are fresh, right? The sick time is inevitable in my experience. When they are fresh they show their potential...age will serve them well no doubt.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
The most memorable Havana for me was the SLR Prominente (DC). Just a roller coaster of flavors that went on forever...Incredible smoke!

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I agree with the recent production being great, but those '13 Superiores are fresh, right? The sick time is inevitable in my experience. When they are fresh they show their potential...age will serve them well no doubt.
Touche.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to CCs. So far the few I've had were all excellent, but nothing that unseated my very favorite Nicaraguans. Except for one that totally blew my mind, the little SCdLH El Principe. Fantastic. Was told by several that the bigger vitolas in the marca did not match the profile of the Principe, so for my first box purchase I recently ordered a box of VR Unicos trying to find some of what I liked in the Principe. I'll smoke one ROTT and put the rest down for a long nap. Still have a lot of stuff to sample before I load up on box purchases.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Slaínte
James
That's incredible....

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
I've smoked less than 50 different CCs, but the one that just stuck in my head as THE Cuban flavor profile and still my favorite cigar period is a cheap one.

The H. Upmann half corona.

Pretty much now the yardstick I gauge all other cigars against. If I could find a corona or robusto that matched the flavors exactly, that would be my favorite simply for the extended smoking time.

A very close second place to a good Montecristo. But the ones I've had have been inconsistent. The good ones are damn good, but its been about one in three that hits the mark.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had one, an esplendido. It was really good! Trying a RyJ no 2 now. As soon as I can, I want to get a hold of an h. Uppman, I've heard really good things