What's new

What do you do to clean your palate before starting a cigar?

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
For me it is usually just a glass of water to cleanse my mouth and I always have some with me while I'm smoking in case i need to freshen up my palette.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I too find that sparkling water works best for cleansing my palate before/during/after smoking a cigar.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Sparkling water for me.

I've also learned that while I love burritos, I have to wait awhile for the spices to cool down otherwise it ruins any cigar.
I agree with this. Any food with a lot of spice (indian) or heat spice (hot wings, mexican, etc) I need an hour or so with lots of water to relax the pallete.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Prior to smoking I use a mouthwash;
1 part Listerine (I like the spearmint kind but original works too)
1 part Hydrogen Peroxide (old trick a grand-dad of smoking taught me a few years ago)
1 part water
Cleans the palate right out; usually use in the morning If I plan on smoking in the afternoon. Or before I go out to smoke. You would be surprised at how well it works.
During I just sip on San Pellegrino Mineral water and its a cleanse between puffs.

Honestly though unless I'm smoking a TON of heavy, dark Nicaraguan sticks (multiple ligas, etc.) the day before or of, It really isn't a "must" just take your time and smoke great sticks. Slower smoking keeps the harshness down; "purging" keeps the stick burning clean, and not smoking dollar dog-rockets keeps the smoke enjoyable.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Club soda and saltine crackers (thought I'm not a fan of overly salty ones) tend to do a good job at a reasonable price. Sticking your nose in a bag of coffee is also a good way to refresh your sense of smell. Bananas or plantains are also fairly good for your taste buds.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I have been to wine tastings and they served small bits of chocolate between each wine. Seemed to work. A beer or a root beer works for me.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Only tried it once, but had sone oj in between and was shocked how well it 'cleansed' my pallete. Great tip from Funke JJ.

It Is all about the acid base balance. Cigar tobacco is basic on the ph scale so by drinking something fairly acidic it quickly and easily cleanses the palate. So that is the basic chemistry behind my tip of why it works.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, coming in a bit late to this discussion but I think funkejj is on the money, it's all about a ph thing ... try two tablespoons of organic apple cider vinegar, the one with the 'mother' in it. Not only will it COMPLETELY cleanse you pallate but it'll clear your sinuses as well, lol. If u can get used to the taste it's what I've found offers the freshest start to a good smoking experience.
Only tried it once, but had sone oj in between and was shocked how well it 'cleansed' my pallete. Great tip from Funke JJ.

It Is all about the acid base balance. Cigar tobacco is basic on the ph scale so by drinking something fairly acidic it quickly and easily cleanses the palate. So that is the basic chemistry behind my tip of why it works.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I'm going to try a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar today before my cigar (I'll report back:)

Among it's other positives are that it works AMAZINGLY well for upset stomach and sore throat. I like Braggs (brand)