What's new

What do you do when you can't finish your cigar?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Last night I sat down on the front porch to enjoy a nice little Padilla Series 68 and had to cut it short. What do you usually do? :dunno:

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
I'll let you know if it ever happens.

seriously, I have all sizes of cigars and I fit the cigar to the time I have, not the other way around.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
If something come up and I can not finish a cigar I just put it out. If I can get back out i will finish it other wise I just let it go.

WkndSmoker

Short Story
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
If I can not finish it, I just call it done. If something happens that it just has burned out recently before getting back to it I will re-light.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get back to finishing it within the following day and a half, treating the unsmoked portion right will allow you to relight without losing much enjoyment.

1. Before the cigar burns itself out, purge the smoke by blowing through the cut until the body is emptied of residual smoke that, if allowed to remain in there, could sour the filler and/or binder.
2 Let the cigar extinguish naturally.
3. After tapping off the end ash, use a toothpick or some other tool to scrape any leftover loose, white ash off the foot.
4. Wrap all but the blackened foot (leave that exposed to the air) in plastic wrap and store in a properly humid area that you don't care picks up the aroma of a leftover cigar.

The blackened foot as a plug and plastic wrap (I have even stored the wrapped butt in a toothpaste box too for extra insulation, again leaving the foot outside the box so that end does not contaminate the body) will tend to insulate and keep the tobacco fresh for about another 36 hours, depending on the location it is stored. When you light it back up, it may take 3/4 inch of smoking to get back to that original fresh tobacco in order to enjoy the gar's aroma and taste, but it can happen.

dpmrpa

Indiscriminate Bomber
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
If you can get back to finishing it within the following day and a half, treating the unsmoked portion right will allow you to relight without losing much enjoyment.

1. Before the cigar burns itself out, purge the smoke by blowing through the cut until the body is emptied of residual smoke that, if allowed to remain in there, could sour the filler and/or binder.
2 Let the cigar extinguish naturally.
3. After tapping off the end ash, use a toothpick or some other tool to scrape any leftover loose, white ash off the foot.
4. Wrap all but the blackened foot (leave that exposed to the air) in plastic wrap and store in a properly humid area that you don't care picks up the aroma of a leftover cigar.

The blackened foot as a plug and plastic wrap (I have even stored the wrapped butt in a toothpaste box too for extra insulation, again leaving the foot outside the box so that end does not contaminate the body) will tend to insulate and keep the tobacco fresh for about another 36 hours, depending on the location it is stored. When you light it back up, it may take 3/4 inch of smoking to get back to that original fresh tobacco in order to enjoy the gar's aroma and taste, but it can happen.
thanks CR. never knew one could do that

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Usually, if I put it down I won't bother going back to it, if I plan on it, I purge the cigar like stated above except instead of letting it go out by itself, I use a cutter to cut off the lit end about 1/4" - 1/2" away from the last burned spot. Works pretty good, but like I said, normally if I put it down its over.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I've been known to smoke on the way to dinner, and have half a smoke left when I get there. All I do is purge it, and relight it after dinner. I'll do the same if I have a cigar in the morning, on a long commute, and then relight it after work in the evening. Now I would never do this to a really good cigar, but I wouldn't light a really good cigar unless I had the time.

Strick

Finally
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually try and make sure I have the time. If something does come up I just put it off till done. I have tried everything to relight one and it's just not the same to my taste.

gibbleguts

BoM april 09
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Depends on the cigar. Some cigars once they go out they never come back. I have had cigars that have been out for only afew minutes but once you relight it has turned. Others sit for quite a while and can still be fine. Once it has been out for more then a hour I usually don't even try.Punishment to myself for not planning to have the right amount of time.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll let you know if it ever happens.

seriously, I have all sizes of cigars and I fit the cigar to the time I have, not the other way around.
I do the same. If I don't feel like being outside too long -- robusto. If I'm going to be outside for awhile -- churchill.

Poriggity

CRA Ambassador #0042
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Its just a cigar. If I don't have time for it, it goes out. Its not the end of the world if it goes out.. Then again, I don't smoke anything that costs more than about $10/stick.
Scott

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
this has happened a couple times to me and it sucks...cut the ash end with cutter .5" from ash and then purge the smoke by blowing through the cigar. gets all the stale smoke out and keeps it somewhat fresh. if ur not back within the hour...toss it and start over after cursing what interupted u in the first place;)

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm also one that normally makes time to smoke it all. I only once had to put one down for a few hours and come back and I did basically what CR outlined.