What's new

What else am I missing?

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm just getting into the world of pipe smoking (get your mind out of the gutter, boys). This stuff came in the mail over the last couple of days. I had a few questions and was wondering if there was anything I was missing? I bought a pipe off of cbid (Stanwell X-Mas 2012) and right after that I went to pipes&cigars and put together a little sampler for myself based on reviews from here and other websites. So onto my first set of questions... Is this a good pipe? It said "9mm", what does that refer to? I'm assuming the bowl diameter but I'm not sure if I should have gone for something a little smaller since I'm just a n00b? I also realize that I need a lighter. Is the Zippo one decent or should I get a Xikar for around $50?

Here's a list of everything I got:
Stanwell X-Mas 2012 9mm pipe
Dunhill Nightcap
CAO Flavours Moontrance
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Captain Black Dark
Sutliff Molto Dolce
GL Pease Key Largo
Erik Nording Hunter's Blend Labrador
3-in-1 tool
And a bunch of assorted pipe cleaners (not sure if I needed all different types)

I have a bunch more questions but I don't want to overload so I'll wait.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I used a bic for a little bit but after scorching the rim of one of my bowls I picked up the pipe Zippo and will never look back. I have always loved Zippos though

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I was under the impression that a pipe lighter but if I can get away with a bic lighter for now then I'll do that.

What's wrong with the Captain Black?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
add 2 more pipes.... youre going to need to let that one rest for a while after you use it..

cheapies will work while you learn.. grab a couple of cobs... or dr. g's....

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have two Zippo pipe lighters, they work very well. I mostly use them when I'm outside, at home I use wooden matches. If you want to you could add a corn cob pipe so you can rest one between smokes.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
id start with the cob, thats a nice pipe to start out with, but a cob you wont feel bad if you char the rim

I have that same pipe, theyre very nice

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
the "9mm" thing refers to a filter: the stanwell is tooled for a 9mm paper filter. i advise against ever using filters, but that's just me. if it came with one, hell, try it. you can find adapters to narrow the airway down, but i have never needed one.

stanwell is one of THE main "factory pipe" operations, and i have had sterling results with them. their christmas offering should be slightly better engineering, and much better presentation (grain, finish, etc.).

the only thing i feel you are missing in the selection is an old school straight tobacco, like a carter hall or prince albert. not exciting, but easy to work with and a great tool for a novitiate.

add 2 more pipes.... youre going to need to let that one rest for a while after you use it..

cheapies will work while you learn.. grab a couple of cobs... or dr. g's....

and dave has a GREAT point here; if you get into it, you are going to want to rest that stan at LEAST a day after smoking (exact math varies wildly). briar can get "tired", and it will smoke wetter if it is overtaxed. a couple few cobs in the mix can build you an instant rotation, until you get farther in.

good luck with it! also, can we get better pix of that stan? looks pretty! o)