What's new

What Golf Ball do you play

Rating - 80%
4   1   0
i really like the top flight D2 balls they sell at wal-mart, that and the nike mojo's i play enough to sorta kinda care about the balls i use but not enough to spend more than the usual price of these, i was gifted a box of pro V1X's when i got back from iraq last year and all i do is put with them i couldnt ever justify spending like 70 bucks on a box of balls

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ever is on sale at any sporting goods store or golf store. I'm not good enough where the ball plays a huge role in how I play. But I do find 3 or 4 Pro V's when ever I'm out playing.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
5-3. Ball Unfit for Play

A ball is unfit for play if it is visibly cut, cracked or out of shape. A ball is not unfit for play solely because mud or other materials adhere to it, its surface is scratched or scraped or its paint is damaged or discolored.

If a player has reason to believe his ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, he may lift the ball, without penalty, to determine whether it is unfit.

Before lifting the ball, the player must announce his intention to his opponent in match play or his marker or a fellow-competitor in stroke play and mark the position of the ball. He may then lift and examine it, provided that he gives his opponent, marker or fellow-competitor an opportunity to examine the ball and observe the lifting and replacement. The ball must not be cleaned when lifted under Rule 5-3.

If the player fails to comply with all or any part of this procedure or if he lifts the ball without having reason to believe that it has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, he incurs a penalty of one stroke.

If it is determined that the ball has become unfit for play during play of the hole being played, the player may substitute another ball, placing it on the spot where the original ball lay. Otherwise, the original ball must be replaced. If a player substitutes a ball when not permitted and makes a stroke at the wrongly substituted ball, he incurs the general penalty for a breach of Rule 5-3, but there is no additional penalty under this Rule or 15-2.

If a ball breaks into pieces as a result of a stroke, the stroke is canceled and the player must play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played (see Rule 20-5).

*PENALTY FOR BREACH OF RULE 5-3:
Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes. *If a player incurs the general penalty for breach of Rule 5-3, there is no additional penalty under this Rule.

Cuts, cracks, and out of round balls died with Balata. With today's technology you see scratches, scrapes, and paint damage...things that do not deem the ball to be unfit.

Doesn't matter to me as long as money isn't involved.

I was just being a smart-a$$ anyway :grin:

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
Have been playing golf for 45 years and have talked with caddies and players alike. The real story is that unless your handicap is at least a 5 you're just not going to get very much "play" from what you think is all about the ball you are playing. The real story is how soft or hard the ball is...soft for holding the greens and hard for getting distance. Anything else you're just wasting your money. When you are on the green change out your ball.
ON THE PUTTING GREEN

The only way that you can substitute a different ball during the play of a hole (between tee-off and holing out) is if the ball is deemed unfit for play (visibly cut, cracked or out of shape). Rule 5.3 Trust me...I have used Rule 5.3 every time I am on the green and will change out a ball that I know putts better than others. By the time I get to the green I have put at the very least a small cut from my iron play on the ball.
Other rules below:

You may repair ball marks and old hole plugs on the line of your putt but not any other damage, including spike marks.

You may mark, lift and clean your ball on the putting gre·en. Always replace it on the exact spot.

Don't test the putting surface by scraping it or rolling a ball over it.

Ball played from putting green strikes flagstick - in match play you lose the hole; in stroke play you incur a two-stroke penalty.
This rule doesn't cover your scenario as you cannot switch to a different ball while playing a hole. Yes, you can change out a damaged ball, but it must be with the same make, model ball. You can switch between ball types on different holes, assuming you are not playing in a tournament that has not imposed the one-ball rule, meaning you can only use a ProV1x throughout the whole tournament if that is what you started with.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
The only way that you can substitute a different ball during the play of a hole (between tee-off and holing out) is if the ball is deemed unfit for play (visibly cut, cracked or out of shape). Rule 5.3 Trust me...I have used Rule 5.3 every time I am on the green and will change out a ball that I know putts better than others. By the time I get to the green I have put at the very least a small cut from my iron play on the ball.
And you have been cheating for 45 years :headroll:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This rule doesn't cover your scenario as you cannot switch to a different ball while playing a hole. Yes, you can change out a damaged ball, but it must be with the same make, model ball. You can switch between ball types on different holes, assuming you are not playing in a tournament that has not imposed the one-ball rule, meaning you can only use a ProV1x throughout the whole tournament if that is what you started with.
I have switched from the same line of golf ball...Titleist with a sleeve of balls I start out with...as you stated. Once any golf ball has an imperfection which usually happens as I hit down on the ball with my irons at quite an impact it will scuff or put an indentation where once I am on the green and marked my ball...I have the same ball I put with that has been balanced with a ring around the ball. You'll see this frequently with a lot of the players who play...I don't sub out a ball while in play as I said before.

And you have been cheating for 45 years :headroll:
Lol,,,I always ask before replacing any golf ball after it's been marked on the green and I show the players why I would sub out...so far nobody has had a problem esp. my partners who end up winning our tournaments.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I actually just played a round with a sleeve of Foo King Long balls. That's no joke.... They aren't "sanctioned", but it definitely increased the fun level when driving off the tee.

Rating - 100%
134   0   0
I have switched from the same line of golf ball...Titleist with a sleeve of balls I start out with...as you stated. Once any golf ball has an imperfection which usually happens as I hit down on the ball with my irons at quite an impact it will scuff or put an indentation where once I am on the green and marked my ball...I have the same ball I put with that has been balanced with a ring around the ball. You'll see this frequently with a lot of the players who play...I don't sub out a ball while in play as I said before.
I think we got confused as you were talking about hard and soft balls, which to some implied you were changing out your hard ball to a soft ball on the green.

Rating - 100%
159   0   0
So, which ball do you tee off with on the next hole. If you tee off with the ball you removed from play on the green, you are violating the rules. Once a ball is removed as being unfit for play it can not be put back in play. So you are saying that you go through 18 balls during a round??

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
Tried them all. Can't get the feel you get from a ProV1. X for me.
i'm with you on this one soctty. prov1x. they spin plenty for me and i love the feel on and around the greens.

I actually just played a round with a sleeve of Foo King Long balls. That's no joke.... They aren't "sanctioned", but it definitely increased the fun level when driving off the tee.
i'm gonna have to look for these. they're going to make some great christmas presents. i'm getting my brother who jsut turned 40 a belly putter. and then some balls that will help him hit it further will be priceless. he's obsessed with hitting long drives anyhow. thanks for the idea

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I think we got confused as you were talking about hard and soft balls, which to some implied you were changing out your hard ball to a soft ball on the green.
Yeah, that's where the questioning came into play as it sounded like he was playing a Pinnacle off the tee, and a Pro V on the green.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
ProV1x. More distance off the tee, still spinny around the green.. 12 capper here.

Found one of those srixon zstar yellow balls the other day. Supposed to be a good performer. I'll report back.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
a year or so ago my short iron game was really accurate, so I was able to generate a fair amount of backspin. I was playing the Callaway HX Hot Bite (Greens)... my driver was kind enough to where I could just punch these things relatively straight. Not far, but not a ton of spin off the tee.

Now... my driver has an attraction to OB areas... so I'm trying the Callaway Tour i(z), with I think is kind of like a glorified Top Flight rock.