What's new

What is this stuff on this Ashton VSG I'm smoking? I

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
We can agree to disagree. I'll defer to the vets here though. If the cigar is fine either way then it's not really worth squabbling over.
There's a deeper lesson here though when it comes to tubos. This happens way too often when cigars are left in tubes for my liking, so I either remove them entirely (most often) or at least store them with the caps removed..
Well, I learned something. I had six tubos that are no longer in tubes but look okay. So thanks for putting that info out, and I am glad I read the thread.

Sent from an NSA proof phone.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Been smoking cigars for 40 years,have seen plume three times.It needs perfect conditions to occur.

Have seen mold dozens of times. Needs to be too wet with no air flow.Like in a tube,cello,cardboard box.......

MOLD...........

Last edited:

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
This means that almost every so called case of plume I've seen has been mold. Which begs the question: how bad is the mold for your cigar?
Like everyone said as long as it is not on foot use a damp rag and wipe it off. But here is the big lesson. Always check your sticks and remove any sticks with signs of mold...even the smallest. Mold can spread like wildfire and takes little to no time to do so. I typically don't even buy cigars that are in a b and m that has any mold on any cigar in humi. If I do buy a stick from them...it never enters my humi.

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Well damn. I'm sorry for posting this, I should of not been lazy and searched to find all the other threads about this. My bad lol.

It just wiped off fine and smoked fine also, weird to think I just smoked mold... :/

I'll be sure to take out the two other tubos right away.

Once again thanks to everyone for the helpful insight on my question.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well damn. I'm sorry for posting this, I should of not been lazy and searched to find all the other threads about this. My bad lol.

It just wiped off fine and smoked fine also, weird to think I just smoked mold... :/

Hey Dboy no need to be sorry! You had a question some people had an answer that in their opinion is correct. Not everyone agrees with everyone else so a little heated discussion is bound to happen from time to time. It's all good. Hope you enjoyed the Ashton VSG!!

Heath

Rating - 100%
84   0   0

Ask away man. That's what I hate about most forums. People always answer with- use the search. Here most of the time they will give you a helpful link that you can read through and gain more knowledge. Shit if everyone just searched we wouldn't have any new posts and be bored as hell.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ask away man. That's what I hate about most forums. People always answer with- use the search. Here most of the time they will give you a helpful link that you can read through and gain more knowledge. Shit if everyone just searched we wouldn't have any new posts and be bored as hell.
Well said. Ask and learn. Lots of good insight on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Well put Brother!

This is probably the third or fourth thread about mold/plume I have read since I joined BOTL and I still learned something new about mold/plume.

Heath

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
If you leave your humi's at 65% your tubos are fine as long as you check them before entering your humidors. I've never had mold start in a Tubos after it entered my humidors 65% RH. That's something you can count on.

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
If you leave your humi's at 65% your tubos are fine as long as you check them before entering your humidors. I've never had mold start in a Tubos after it entered my humidors 65% RH. That's something you can count on.
I keep my main one with my good sticks at 68, but like I said I only have two other tubos right now and just took them out and they're fine. I think this was due to the B&M's humidity. The owner just gave me this one because it was the last in the box and he wanted to free up some space.

Thanks though for that tip, if I ever but a box of tubos I'll just put them in a smaller humidor.

Also thanks again guys.

Rating - 100%
153   0   0
I'm with Jfire on this. I have smoked Tubos over a decade old that have never been opened with no issues. I keep a large amount of Tubos in my storage that have never been opened, not even for inspection. I have never had mold on a single one. I keep my storage between 60-63%rh

Mike

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Sorry to drudge up an old thread- but a recent issue of cigar journal magazine has a great article in it about mold and plume and cigar storage. It's an awesome issue if you can find it- tons of useful info (has AJ Fernandez on the front). Anyway, there is an article called "Store in a cool place?" in there which explains that white mold or eurotium mold- the kind often confused with plume- is totally harmless. The author also talks about temperature and argues that cold temperatures are not always necessary. Rather, it is the humidity which is increased as a result of high temperature which really causes mold. Good article- I'd recommend grabbing that issue if you can find it (its the summer edition 2013).