What's new

What is your favorite pistol?

mercop

Cigar Daddy
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Dam, researched this on the web and learned something. I keep reading that it's not recomended for anything but range time and tends to throw brass straight back, but it works. I didn't think the 40 extractor and ejector would work on a 9mm case at all. Have you considered a .22 conversion for the Glock, way cheaper in the long run?

I would never carry anything out of the 23 except for the 40 S&W, but like I said it allows me to shoot a bunch of stuff on the range. I am looking to get a 22 conversion too.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Well looks to me that everyone is forgetting a great gun. I have a wonderful Browning 9mm High Power. This gun is always there for me. I have had a little work done to it. It did not like norinco ammo. I can put any brand though it now.
But the question was my favorite gun. That would have to be my Ruger Vaquero-Bisley in 45 LC. I goes great in my cowboy rig and is a great match for my Winchester Model 94 lever action in 45 LC.
If anyone is interested I do have a Action Arms .41 Action Express barrel/spring and clips Kit for a High Power. Never used, just PM me and we will talk. First 250 takes it.

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
Not long ago I would have said my Ruger SP101 in a wheelgun or my S&W M&P9 in auto-loader. Both sport lasergrips and the Smith has a new set of Trijicon night sights, which is why it resides in my nightstand drawer. Both shoot beautifully, but...

I have a new love in my life! My Springfield XDm .40 S&W. OMG is this baby sweet! Match grade barrel, 16 round mag, near perfect grip and "pointability" and it shoots like a dream!

If you get a chance, try one out and let me know what you think about it. The original SA XDs are great guns, and the XDm is just that much sweeter!

Now that we can carry in wildlife management areas in Georgia (thank you Governor Perdue!) I'm looking to pick up a Ruger GP100 for a woods gun to wear while hiking. Also crossing my fingers (and writing letters!) for National Parks carry!

Attachments

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wow, interesting question...what is my favorite pistol?

Like anything Glock. Shot many, still have the 27. Like 45's, 357 mags, 38's, 380's, well heck, just about anything.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a tough one. I just bought a new Glock 30SF but have not broke it in yet. Have a very trusty E.G. Makarov that has an improved safety and hammer on it. Many others, too hard to pick a favorite.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Love that squeeze cocker, got to shoot one over in europe when working with NATO. Wish it had a biger mag, but liked the way it shot bunches!
This is one gun I will HAVE to add to the collection someday. H&K was my first pistol and I've drooled over this one for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Good to see we can post more than just one pistol here.

So far I really like shooting my colt .45 deffender and I plan on using it as my carry gun when I can get it to feed 100% properly. ( I bought it used and seem to be having magazine issues or may need a stiffer spring?

Just picked up a used HK USP .40 full size and love it!! Very accurate but a little too big to carry. Looking to add a USP compact to my collection.

The little gun that I carry the most is my little Taurus model 85 .38 spcl. Have a uncle mikes inside the waist holster for it. More accurate than I thought it would be.

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
So far I really like shooting my colt .45 deffender and I plan on using it as my carry gun when I can get it to feed 100% properly. ( I bought it used and seem to be having magazine issues or may need a stiffer spring?
What type of problem are you having, I've built more than a few .45's in my day, might be able to make some sugestions.

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Mitch:

I get a stovepipe but with a live round pointing up at me? I thought maybe it was a magazine issue? As I've heard that alot of 1911 problems come from the mag. I have 4 mag's now. 3 came with it. 1 is the original Colt mag and it has the issue I mentioned earlier. The 2nd is a McCormick(sp) shooting star mag. It has the same problem. The 3rd is a McCormick too. I think it may be a power mag, but I'm not 100% sure. It seems to be the most reliable of the 3. But last time out it seemed to give me issues as well after about the 6th re-load?

I also purchased a Wilson mag hoping that a new High qualitly mag would solve this problem. While I don't get a live stovepipe. It will occasionally not want to fully feed the round and get caught up. After I re-pull the slide back, it will then feed back in and fire. I've been told that new mag's do take some break in time? They also told me to put a few rounds in the mag for a couple of weeks so it will get some wear. I'm going to give it try and see what happens next time out.

So far I have only been shooting FMJ ammo though it as well and different brands. Sellier & Belliot (SP) Blazer, American Eagle. So I don't think it's the Ammo.

If you could provide me with some suggestions. I'd be very happy to listen to them, as I really want to use this pistol as my carry piece.

Thanks

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
carry the glock 22, love the 23 too (my personal). just can't beat the glock!! was trained on/carried the S&W model 66 .357 back in the day. absolutely loved that gun!! wish i was able to keep it!

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
Mitch:

I get a stovepipe but with a live round pointing up at me? I thought maybe it was a magazine issue? As I've heard that alot of 1911 problems come from the mag. I have 4 mag's now. 3 came with it. 1 is the original Colt mag and it has the issue I mentioned earlier. The 2nd is a McCormick(sp) shooting star mag. It has the same problem. The 3rd is a McCormick too. I think it may be a power mag, but I'm not 100% sure. It seems to be the most reliable of the 3. But last time out it seemed to give me issues as well after about the 6th re-load?

I also purchased a Wilson mag hoping that a new High qualitly mag would solve this problem. While I don't get a live stovepipe. It will occasionally not want to fully feed the round and get caught up. After I re-pull the slide back, it will then feed back in and fire. I've been told that new mag's do take some break in time? They also told me to put a few rounds in the mag for a couple of weeks so it will get some wear. I'm going to give it try and see what happens next time out.

So far I have only been shooting FMJ ammo though it as well and different brands. Sellier & Belliot (SP) Blazer, American Eagle. So I don't think it's the Ammo.

If you could provide me with some suggestions. I'd be very happy to listen to them, as I really want to use this pistol as my carry piece.

Thanks
Make sure you are using good ammo, if you are using reloads etc, try good ammo like Win, Fed and some high performance ammo (hot load) as well. If the problem goes away with a hotter load, you either need to break in the recoil spring (may be able to just leave the slide locked back to hold it compressed for a couple weeks) or you are limp wristing the pistol a bit. You can buy a weaker recoil spring, but you'd be better off just taking it to the range and get 1000 plus rounds through it. Check for any burs and such around the barrel, but it sounds like your problem is the slide isn't going back with enough force to bounce back and really smack the cartridge into the chamber. If you have a shock buff installed take it out until the gun breaks in.

Hope this helps.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I LOVE the Sig 229 elite... i can drive nails with that
and of course the Kimber 1911 raptor... sweet shooting pistol with a great unique look!

Wagz

Großartig Hurensohn
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Love my Glock 17 - I'm comfortable making any and all modifications to it, she never fails on me, and I couldn't ask for a lighter automatic. Really want a 1911 of some variety, though. Any suggestions on what variety of .45 cal. 1911 I might look into?

Mitch

BOM 2/09-Keeper BOTtLe
Rating - 100%
133   0   0
For a 1911 I'm partial to the Para Ordnance P14 Limited. Just a great handling out of the box gun all the way around. If you want a single stack, Kimber, Springfield and Colts are my tops. Hard to find one with a rail on them though, only down side to most of the 1911's today.

Wagz

Großartig Hurensohn
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I was thinking of going with a Colt, but you're not the first person I've asked that has talked up the Para Ordnance. Hopefully I can find a P14 for under a thousand... might have to find something cheaper otherwise. Thanks, Mitch.

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I have a .38 S&W model revolver that I love. I've probably had it for close to 30 yrs.

As a matter of fact I used it to shoot a fox last sat. My dogs had the fox cornered, once I called the dogs off, I shot it. I haven't shot this gun in a while, and I forgot how powerful a handgun it is. The fox must have flown 4 feet into the underbrush.

My son turns 12 next month. For his birthday I'm planning on getting him started with his own pistol and some time at the range nearby. Most likely a .22 to start. Any suggestions?

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Semi automatic:

Colt 1911, early versions.

I also like the Walther PPK and the SIG P229 chambered to .357

Revolver:

Smith and Wesson 357 Magnum