What's new

What Is Your Preferred Cigar Cut Of Choice?

What Is Your Preferred Cigar Cut Of Choice?

• Straight

Votes: 142 75.1%
  • V (Wedge)

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • Punch (Bullet)

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Multiple Slit (Shuriken)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious to see how this community aligns or differs with my local cigar club here in Charlotte, NC. Thanks for taking the time to vote - much appreciated.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
Grrrr gave me an awesome looking V cutter. Can someone tell me what type of cigar it's meant to be used on? Big rg? Torps? I have no idea.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I used to use the punch more than straight until I noticed tar buildup with larger rg sticks so I only use my bullet on smaller rg and straight cut all larger ones. Haven't tried any other cutters as of yet.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Lately I've been laying my Xikar on a flat surface and pressing the cigar against the same surface. It's been working very well. It takes the fun out of it, but it has given me perfect, fool proof cuts for the last month.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
everything has it's time and place, but a straight cut works on EVERYTHING.

personally, wouldn't use that shuriken for nothing, i have seen it make a cigar LOSE flavor, but that is just me. V and punch when the mood strikes, but there is always my palio in my pocket. o)

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I almost always use a V-cut. It leaves the cap intact and prevents unravelling.

The only time I use a straight cut anymore is on torpedos. The V-cut works OK with torps as well but it just doesn't feel right against my tongue.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've been using the scissors on my Jetline lighter lately for a shallow straight cut and loving it. The accuracy of the scissors is very nice... Much easier than my other cutters.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been using this V cutter for the last two years almost exclusively.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358656622.240432.jpg

It gives a clean cut every time. I picked it up at a cigar shop in Alabama for just $10.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grrrr gave me an awesome looking V cutter. Can someone tell me what type of cigar it's meant to be used on? Big rg? Torps? I have no idea.
Robert, in addition to this poll question I also created a video on various cigar cuts for my website leafandgrape.com readers. Feel free to check it out - I show a unique type of cut for belicoso / torpedo shape cigars at the end - cheers!

click here for leafandgrape.com video

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I almost always start with a V-cut. If it's a little tight, I'll do another V-cut perpendicular (i.e. a "Cross Cut," patent pending). If it's still tight, I'll do a straight cut.

Another fun idea! -- When cutting any belicoso/torpedo/figurado shape, if you're not getting a good enough draw try cutting it again AT AN ANGLE instead of just further down the shoulder. This will not only increase the surface area you draw from (often compensating for a tight draw), but it will also angle the smoke towards your tongue, sort of like a chisel does. It's pretty cool!

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
I've been using the scissors on my Jetline lighter lately for a shallow straight cut and loving it. The accuracy of the scissors is very nice... Much easier than my other cutters.
Yea, Scissors are nice for this. You can skim off just the cap itself w/out taking off any of the filler at all, which is fun!

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I use my Palio for a straight cut over 90% of the time, but will use a punch if a larger RG cigar seems to be slightly underfilled.

personally, wouldn't use that shuriken for nothing, i have seen it make a cigar LOSE flavor, but that is just me. V and punch when the mood strikes, but there is always my palio in my pocket. o)
I tried out the Shuriken, and that thing blows.

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
Another one for straight cut with a Palio. I used to be a huge fan of punches, but the tar build up is too much of a pain with most of the sticks I enjoy now. I've never really experimented with a V cutter save for maybe 3 cigars which were cut before they were handed to me.

JuYcEmAn

¡Soy un esnob de Fuente!
Rating - 96.9%
37   1   0
Preferred? Xikar V-Cutter - I'll nned to try your suggestion, Nate (to cross V-cut).
Fall back option - Xikar Slim Straight Cut

I have only "punched" once and didn't care for it. After reading several posts regarding the Shuriken, I don't believe I will waste my time attempting this method.