What's new

What Is Your Preferred Cigar Cut Of Choice?

What Is Your Preferred Cigar Cut Of Choice?

• Straight

Votes: 142 75.1%
  • V (Wedge)

Votes: 27 14.3%
  • Punch (Bullet)

Votes: 20 10.6%
  • Multiple Slit (Shuriken)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BrandonP

Cigar King Scottsdale
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I straight cut everything, not a big fan of the punch or vcut personally. Lately I have just been using my fingernails to remove the cap, getting lazy I guess. LOL

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Straight cut 90% of the time. V-cut with my XV the other 10%. Never had a problem with the V cut since I splurged on a good one. Not sure what makes me wanna whip out the V, but a Robusto or Toro seems to move me towards one sometimes.

KK33

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
This made me think of something out of the blue. Sean always uses a V cut, I read on another post. Maybe he is V? I can't remember if that mystery has been solved yet, but maybe worth looking in to...

KK33

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Straight cut with scissors mostly. Very precise and never cracks the cap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well I was all about the punch before I joined BOTL. But i have since learned that punches can result in tar build up which I think I have encountered before but never knew what it was. So now it is a straight cut all the time. Plus a fellow Brother hooked me up with a sweet Room 101 cutter.

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
For the most part the V-Cut is my favorite, but it really comes down to what cigar I'm smoking when deciding the cut.

For the bigger to medium ring gauges I always go with a V-Cut.

Lanceros, I always just straight cut

I also normally punch a 48 or 46. Just personal preference.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Straight cut for me unless its a LFD chisel then I use a punch
You shouldn't have to cut the LFD Chisels at all. If you squeeze them on the sides they will pop open. They are made to be smoked that way. Try it sometime. It makes them much "stronger" and full.
Thanks for the tip now I have to hit my B&M to get a couple for "research"

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Straight cut for me unless its a LFD chisel then I use a punch
You shouldn't have to cut the LFD Chisels at all. If you squeeze them on the sides they will pop open. They are made to be smoked that way. Try it sometime. It makes them much "stronger" and full.
My memory blows, but I am pretty sure I've read Litto suggesting punching a chisel from each side.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used punch cutters and Drew Estate cutters. I prefer the straight cut. My wife got me a beautiful Xikar Xi cutter in Lapis for my birthday. Used it for the first time today. LOVE IT!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started smoking cigars and not too long ago purchased a Palio so it will be only straight cuts for me until I start trying other options.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consistently use Xikar V-cut. I do own a punch and use on smaller guage. I also have a straight so called Smart Cutter that proves to be useful for cigars above 50 guage. I tend to toro size and smaller guage when available in cigars I enjoy repeatedly.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Another fun idea! -- When cutting any belicoso/torpedo/figurado shape, if you're not getting a good enough draw try cutting it again AT AN ANGLE instead of just further down the shoulder. This will not only increase the surface area you draw from (often compensating for a tight draw), but it will also angle the smoke towards your tongue, sort of like a chisel does. It's pretty cool!
I always cut at a slight angle, to increase surface area and improve draw. Much more so with a torpedo, but even on a straight stick, within whatever range I can do so without cutting beneath the cap. I have unraveled a few sticks this way, but not enough for me to lose confidence in the method. My cutter- a Xikar x8 double guillotine - enables me to do so with relative ease, as I can pick a point to rest the stick on using the stationary blade, then tilt it a bit and snip at whatever angle the cap allows.

I've seen this referred to as the "dick cut", but I decided to not research why...