What's new

what made you buy your first box?

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i have not yet bought a full box of one cigar, but i have a couple of candidates. since i'm still fairly new to cigar sampling, i'm wondering what about that cigar made you guys say...that's it...i'm buying my first box.

my top candidates are:
la duena petit lancero
tatuaje black petit lancero
la aroma de cuba robusto

i just realized that they're all made by my father. hahahaah. interesting.

anyway, just curious.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I found something I liked a lot and bought it... Rest is history.

Smoke a lot of different stuff, think about how readily available certain cigars are as well. I tend to buy boxes of sticks that I can't always find, but really like... That way I can always smoke stuff I really like.

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
My only two full box purchases have been my father's reserve especiales. I LOVE Jose Ortega who is the my fathers vp of sales and bought both boxes at events. Easy choice. Great company. Great stick. Just felt right.

Baldanders

Jim AKA Patty
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Think my 1st box was Te-amo about 25 years ago. They sucked but a buddy loved them so I gave them a try. Next box was Hoyo De Moneterrey Excalibur and I really liked them. I remember they were a limited one time release and they are still made today. :rofl:

Edit: Shit I'm old !!!!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Well for me it was something I felt I had tried enough not to "out grow it"....
good point there, man! you want to make sure you will WANT to smoke the entire thing, and tastes change drastically early on in your smoking career (hell, your tastes are always changing anyway, but experience helps adjust for that).

FWIW for. that list i would go for the tat black. both the la aroma and the duena are great (LOVE the la duena!), but the black is not regular production. pick up the black while you can, and you can always revisit the other two in fivers or boxes down the road. o)

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Cost made me buy my first box. I like variety and I smoke different sizes types and strengths according to mood time and whether or not I've eaten and WHAT I've eaten etc. and im not finicky so to buy a box of what I like and have it on hand to select at any given time works for me. First full box was some Dominican montecristos from JR. 25 or what ever for $xx.xx vs single stick price? That was it for me

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Jose Ortega of My Father's cigars sold me my first box. The Jaime Garcia Reserva Especial is a great stick and attending the event at my local B&M pushed me over the edge. I've enjoyed everyone I've smoked. Find what you like, and when your are ready, pull the trigger.

Cheers

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I don't know about everyone else, but I am a fan of the 10 count box. Mostly because I don't have a ton of storage space. I wish more varieties were offered in that size. And I don't think you will get tired of a smoke if you only have the 10.

Rating - 100%
144   0   0
At first I thought buying a WHOLE box was crazy...now look at me, pretty much only buy by the box...lol My first box was a split of Arturo Fuente Short Story with a buddy of mine. Buying by the box is cost efficient especially if you can find people to go in on them if you don't want the whole thing.

As far as your potential box options I'd say the Tat BPLs are a clear favorite for me at least, but all are good options and since taste preference is so subjective I'd go with whichever one you enjoy the most or whichever you can get the best deal on if you are torn between them. Good luck!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was invited to a General Cigar event. I bought 2-3 boxes of LGC. That was about 200 boxes ago and they are still sitting in the coolidor of death and pass.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first box was Ashton ESG 20 year salute. I had some extra money and after having a couple of those smokes I was sold. A big purchase for my first box but I don't regret a single puff.

Mike W

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I found something I liked a lot and bought it... Rest is history.

Smoke a lot of different stuff, think about how readily available certain cigars are as well. I tend to buy boxes of sticks that I can't always find, but really like... That way I can always smoke stuff I really like.
Exactly what I do. If its hard to find I pick up a box but usually everything regular production is bought in 5 packs. Saves money and space in the humi

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I was lucky with my first box purchase, I received a small bonus for a short project I worked on at my job and decided to use that to by a box of Padron 64 anniversaries. It was my favorite cigar at that point and still is one of my go to cigars today. However, I was not so lucky with my second box purchase, Prensado Robustos, BUT I did get a decent price on those and it came to just under $4 per cigar and I think the cigar is an ok $3.xx cigar. I'm curious to see what a little age does to that cigar though, letting them sleep for now as my own little experiement