What's new

What makes a good cigar shop/lounge?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Selection is number two. You got to have your staples (General, CAO, Altadis etc..)
I disagree. They don't need to have General, CAO or Altadis as far as I'm concerned. My local B&M has about 5 types of general or altadis stuff, and that is just for the guys that think they will only like those brands.

The people are most important for me, but they will come with the rest most of the time.

Thegreekone

Banned
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Dudes, you forgot one of the most important factors: HOURS OPEN.

I hate getting kicked out and one employee actually flashes the lights, like we are in a bar. *F* that, that is so weak.

Selection, knowledgeable staff, size, ventilation, good humidification, comfort, and coffee, preferably espresso. Call me a pretentious effete, but no cigar lounge is gonna carry the food, beer, or spirits I want to drink, and of they do, it's gonna cost.

Did I mention humidification?! My place keeps stuff at 70-72 percent. I have a locker cause I can bring and smoke my own sticks. The markup coupled with the selection is my whole MO. But hell, would it kill them to keep the locker section at 67%.

Btw, if you are talking about a GOOD cigar lounge, my stuff is in order, if you are talking a GREAT one, where I wouldn't mind living and spending much of my cigar money, make them all a priority EQUALLY.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clean, comfortable, spacious, with adequate ventilation, not overly loud, nicely appointed decor (no multi colored chairs, folding chairs, or tons of crap on the walls), a good number of ashtrays, a flat panel or two, calm knowledgeable staff who does not hawk over you (I don't need someone rattling off a bunch of bullshit to me like when you go to starbucks. They talk about 80 mph. Drives me friggin nuts), and finally good company.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
in addition to my tons of room comment earlier, I'd add hours (as mentioned above), selection (need to have unique/HTF sticks or I won't shop there), and sanitation (keep the ashtrays clean, bathrooms clean, chairs clean, bar clean, etc.)

raspol

No problem.
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Clean, comfortable, spacious, with adequate ventilation, not overly loud, nicely appointed decor (no multi colored chairs, folding chairs, or tons of crap on the walls), a good number of ashtrays, a flat panel or two, calm knowledgeable staff who does not hawk over you (I don't need someone rattling off a bunch of bullshit to me like when you go to starbucks. They talk about 80 mph. Drives me friggin nuts), and finally good company.
Sounds like Old Havana.

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Knowledgeable staff.
Friendly staff.
Hot chicks.
Beverages or at least BYOB
Hot chicks.
Good selection of cigars.
Willingness to work with you to get something if they don't have it.
Hot chicks.
Proper ventilation system.
Good People.
Hot chicks.
Nice relaxing decor.
NHL Center Ice package.. (I wish...)

I think that about covers it.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
for a real answer I'll give you....

-Spacious Lounge. I don't want to sit shoulder to shoulder with any of you guys.
-Over sized Leather chairs. Cloth holds the stink
-Spacious Humidor. I don't need 500 facings, but enough room to walk past somone with out rubbing my junk on them.
-Knowledgeable staff, I think this is a pipe dream. How many of us have had a guy with 200K in inventory, tell us that mold is plume? So as long as they only soeak when spoken to, I am happy.
-Earlier I said BOOBS, this is for real. Hire a girl who likes to smoke cigars, and is willing to learn about the basics, she should offer to cut and light my cigar, and then do it properly. Do not put you Aunt Hilda in this job, she needs to be personable, and good looking, with huge boobs.
-You are going to have to have some of either General or Altadis, I lean toward Altadis as the lesser of 2 evils. They offer too many lines the uninformed smoker will ask for.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I like knowledgeable and friendly staff. A good core group is something I need as a writer who spends most of his time in a small studio. Good selection is always nice, so hopefully they'll carry Tat black, Red, Brown, and for kicks, Padron LOL! Chess board might be nice. And yeah I second the hottie but she needs to be intelligent. None of this dumb blonde shit that giggles and shakes her tits for cash. I don't smoke cigars to get away from women (except when I'm attending RWA or RT) but to be around people.

Find me a mix somewhere between Grants in SF and Mission PIpe in Pleasanton. You know what I loved? La Salle Cigars in Montclair, Oakland. Cool staff, good humidor, nice beer/wine/port selection, they did tastings and had events. I've been through four shops now and still run into the old La Salle crowd.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's as follows
Ventilation
Seating
Selection n knowledgeable staff

Pretty much in that order

The initial lounge referenced has always had amazing service and knowledge of a great humidor so I am personally very excited about the growth of the shop.
Grego

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First is selection as that says alot about the passion of the owner.
Second is ventilation. I normally don't like smoking indoors but hate poor ventilation.
Third is the staff. There are some real pompous jerks in the business. There are also some great folks to sit and smoke with.

I would buy from a jerk if his selection was great, but would not smoke in his shop.