What's new

What Makes Cubans Different?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, these may seem like dumb questions but you know what they say about dumb questions...

Is there any non-Cuban cigar that tastes like a Cuban cigar?

I mean, to me, there really is a huge difference. Granted, I'm pretty new to all of this but I haven't found anything that compares to a real Cuban. And it's not just about the flavor - the non-Cubans I've smoked leave a strange taste in my mouth for a few hours after. The Cubans leave a taste, but a very pleasant one. Is there something to this, or have I just not had a good non-Cuban cigar? The reason I ask is that I've heard some people say that this whole Cuban cigar thing is a lot of hype and Cuban cigars are over rated. I'm to the point that I don't ever want to smoke a non-Cuban again. Am I missing something?

Evan

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
IMO you are not missing anything, in fact you have discoverd what many of us here have discovered......CC's are better than NC's.
I have had NC cigars that I have enjoyed, but not as much as CC's. I currently have approx. 25 boxes and 200 singles of which 2 are NC.
No hype.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Cuban cigars have a distinct flavor to them...because Cuban tobacco has a distinct flavor. As does Domincan, Nicaraguan, Honduran, Brazilian, Italian, Cameroon tobaccos.

Whether you like a certain tobacco is subjective and up to you.

For me Cuban tobacco has less of a metallic flavor than certain others. I dislike Honduran tobacco as it leaves my palate dry..usually Honduran filler has a dry, metallic, and "airy" quality that I dislike. Domican tobacco is almost always "smooth" and usually unintrusive on the palate. Usually leaves me with little in the way of aftertaste..unlike Honduran. Nicaraguan filler and to a lesser extent, it's wrappers, have a distinct spicy character according to my palate that my flavor profile agrees with. Usually leaves a long aftertaste, perhaps a little more tannic than other tobaccos though due to it's inherent strength. Most of the stronger cigars I smoke are from this country or Cuba. Nicaraguan tobacco also has a creamy character that I distinctly enjoy...more creamy than Dominican and also shared with certain vitolas from Cuba. Cuban tobacco usually has a spicy creamy flavor as well...but usually not as smooth as Domican to me, to my palate's taste. Tastes unrefined when young, mellows away the spice when aged. Cuban tobacco has a certain "taste" to it, just as the other countries do that I mentioned.

To me, personally..as my flavor profile dictates I like Nicaraguan tobacco and Cuban tobacco the best. I like Dominican tobacco only when I want a mellow, unintrusive cigar..one that doesn't "talk" to me. I dislike Honduran tobacco altogether and will almost never buy Honduran tobacco.

Now, these are just my experiences and opinions. I notice tobacco from a certain region all share certain qualities and flavors...but different brands from that region vary...if they didn't there would be no reason to have different brands. You may notice Padron being a bit more spicy than CAO..even though they are both from Nicaragua....but they (at least to me) share a certain flavor profile. Montecristo may not be as full flavor and full body as Punch or Bolivar....but it will share a certain flavor profile that you won't get with a Fuente. You will find that a HdM Excalibur will have a certain flavor that you won't get with a Padron...and etc etc etc...you see what I mean.

So, in the end..it's not what country produces the "best" cigar. It's what country produces the cigar you like the best. Smoke what you like and like what you smoke. I wouldn't limit my taste to just one country, but I'm not you. All countries have different flavor profiles to offer...it's just choosing one or two flavor profiles that you like the best.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said. I think my biggest opportunity is that I haven't smoked enough to be able to classify the different flavors into different regions. There just seems to be "something about the Cubans" that I like. I sincerely wish I could find it in a NC (it would likely be more inexpensive and certainly easier to get...)

I go into a local cigar store and say that I really like this or that in a Cuban and they say, "try this, you'll like it" and it's not even close. It's like ordering a Coke and they bring you a Pepsi (or vice versa) and think it's no big deal. It's just not the same.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
ejchron said:
I go into a local cigar store and say that I really like this or that in a Cuban and they say, "try this, you'll like it" and it's not even close. It's like ordering a Coke and they bring you a Pepsi (or vice versa) and think it's no big deal. It's just not the same.
If it wasn't grown in Cuba it's likely not to taste like Cuban tobacco. Just the same I've never found any Cuban that tasted anything like my beloved Padrons. Every region has a unique flavor profile that either agrees with your palate or disagrees. What your palate agrees with will become more developed with time. If you only like Cubans, then only smoke Cubans. Nobody is going to look at ya strange. And if they do, tell them to mind their own...everyone's opinions and palates are different.

MichiganM

The One, The Only
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
cvm4 said:
It's the TWANG :drool:
Ya know, it's funny. I've talked to people that have noticed a "twang" and I've talked to people who haven't. I've smoked a good number of Cubans...enough to discern the flavor profile they offer and have never noticed a "twang"...whatever that means. I like them all the same...just never noticed such a thing. Flavor's good though. The Bolivar PC's I've had have had a distinct flavor...I can only describe it as a nuttiness...a sweet and salty kinda thing...but I don't know about "twang". Just my .02.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
They have made very big strides in the past couple of years with a few smokes. There are several very small brands that are so tough to find it's not worth mentioning because who knows if you will be able to continue to get them months/years from now.

However, Tatuaje & the Habana Leon (and to some extent the Havana Soul) have come very close to getting there (about 80% imho).

Just my $.02 though

~Mark

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
In my opinion, Cubans absolutely have a nicer flavor. And, not only that, it's the aftertaste, or finish that I feel is far superior and unique to Cuban tobacco, which is why I find Cuban cigars to be more enjoyable and prefer them to any other cigar, bar none.

My 2 cents.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Tatuaje is about as close as I have seen to matching the taste. I like other NC's for the flavors they present, Opus X, Padron 1926. They are very good cigars but no twang!! The twang gets me every time.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Hmmmm, I can't really add much that hasn't been said. I think I am going to smoke one of the Tatuaje Tainos Jags sent me witht he wife soon and let you guys know how close I think it is to the Cuban flavor.

BTW, where is he?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I'm with Fredneck and whoever first mentioned the "twang". The aftertaste on a Cuban is FARRRRRRRRRRRRRr superior the finish on a NC.

Jason, as to the "twang"? To me it's just that one thing that Cuban's have that other cigars don't. I don't know how to describe it, but I bet you know what it is and have tasted it, you just don't associate it with the word "twang". :dunno:

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea where is Jags? Haven't seen him around.

JW's right on. It's tough to describe and you just know what it tastes like.