What's new

What Makes Cubans Different?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ejchron said:
The Cubans leave a taste, but a very pleasant one. Is there something to this, or have I just not had a good non-Cuban cigar? The reason I ask is that I've heard some people say that this whole Cuban cigar thing is a lot of hype and Cuban cigars are over rated. I'm to the point that I don't ever want to smoke a non-Cuban again. Am I missing something?

Evan

Cuban cigars definitely do have a particular taste that differentiates them from cigars from other countries. They are richer, thicker (the smoke), more concentrated. Smoking a cuban cigar compared to a non cuban cigar is like drinking a regular $3 red wine compared to a Grand Cru Classé from Bordeaux. They're similar (made from grapes, matured in oak, etc.) but yet there are differences so vast it would take a lifetime to name them all ;)

IMHO, the main reason you get told there is a "hype" about cuban cigars is that there is an embargo on Cuban products in the USA and people experience cognitive dissonance. Another cause I'm aware of is the cost (people often dont want or cant spend the extra money on premium cigars). And last but not least, I wouldnt be surprised if everybody's sensitivity werent the same; IOW, some people just cant taste the difference.

The two main factors that objectively differentiate the Cuban cigars from NCs are the climate ("cool" month of January just before harvest) and the soil.

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Well, I share the opinion of most here that there is a distinct difference between NC's and CC's. I think it is the tobacco, soil, and climate together that make the difference.

I experimented and asked my wife to hold several CC's and NC's under her nose to see if she could tell a difference. After going through about 10 CC's and 5 super premium NC's she was spot on in picking them out just by smell (with eyes closed). In her words, the NC's smelled of stronger tobacco and rather harsh in her opinion. The CC's smelled more like floral, or spice depending on the stick and lacked that harsh tobacco smell. I thought is was interesting as I don't have a sensitive enough nose to pick them off. She definitely thought Cohibas smelled the most floral and oddly enough the more age they had on them the more the floral notes came though. She smelled a few RASS and really smelled the strong spice in them. I thought it was an interesting take from someone who has never smoked a cigar or cigarette in her life. She actually likes the aroma of CC's quite a bit except when I light them up then her favorable opinion fades.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, there is nothing that compares to the forbidden fruit and there's no comparing them to others. The smooth silky wrapper, the rich taste, clouds upon clouds of blue smoke, and the aroma before you torch up says it all. l Agree with N2ADVNTURE, the Tatuaje's do show show some subtle similarities, but very little. BTW, those are good smokes!
Theres nothing that comes close! Slide open a cab or a box of cubans and run your nose across the top layer. The pre-light aroma is intoxicating!! There are a lot of Non's out there that i smoke but none of them compare! Rather spend the same amount of coin on a box of Boli's. Im done! Greg