What's new

What was that one cigar?

Rating - 100%
112   0   0
For me, it wasn't so much of the cigar as it was the experience.

I was studying in Scotland at the time, my parents came over to visit me. While they were there, my dad and I sat on a balcony overlooking the ocean while smoking a Partagas series P #2. Probably one of the best memories I have.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
For me, it wasn't so much of the cigar as it was the experience.

I was studying in Scotland at the time, my parents came over to visit me. While they were there, my dad and I sat on a balcony overlooking the ocean while smoking a Partagas series P #2. Probably one of the best memories I have.
Great story, thanks for sharing that.

pabloj671

Banned
Rating - 92.9%
15   1   0
i kinda grew up around cigars... my Dad smoked regularly and i would get in to his humidor and snag one... MISTAKE!!! not only did i get sick, but i got WHOOPED!!!! we're island people... it was a TRIBAL ass whoopin! but i still went back... so by the time i was a Junior in high school, my pops would lay a smoke on me every now and then, when it was father son time i.e. fishing, driving around or just at the beach... i still remember the Bolis, davis, dunhills and cohibas... some stuff i dont remember, even some of those gas station bands... later, who knew i'd be the one sending stash home to him now... he's still got some vintage thunder stix for me tho... but i think the stick that sealed the deal was, even tho i was a committed smoker, was a Davidoff Chateau Margaux i was gifted from the Old Man when i made Staff Sergeant... ive had and have a good amount of aged sticks but i'm still chasing that unforgettable flavor and nothing beats the great experience of having some smokes with good friends!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I smoked mostly RyJ and cohiba from gas stations at first. As I learned more I kept reading about OpusX. I asked a local B&M owner about it and he brought me in one with a few years age on it. Needless to say rocked the boat and I've been chasing that experience ever since.

Herfin' Harg

BoM March 2012
Rating - 100%
142   0   0
OR (and really even the second release with the bands) Camacho Diplomas - circa 03 or so. Strong, medium body, flowery ligero twang and complex smokes. I'd push my mother down the stairs for another one of those.

Shitty local tobacconist back in the day (iirc, his favorite sticks were the paper-wrapped el rey del mundos - and I can remember him saying that the CAO Brazilia was the best cigar he'd ever had), and I smoked a lot of trash before I worked my way up to the gems.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Great topic. I messed around for the first year or two in the hobby. Most of the guys I smoked with were golfers that weren't big enthusiasts. So there was a lot of NC Monte's & RyC and occasional fuente's mixed in with a lot of bundled sticks. Some I liked more than others, but none blew me away. So one day while getting prepped for a big golf trip, I just went crazy at a shop and bought a bunch of brands I hadn't tried based on the owners recommendations.

Later that day on the course, I had a JdN Clasico Churchill Maduro that completely changed what I thought was possible in terms of cigar favor enjoyment. That was six or seven years ago and it probably wasn't until 2010 that I allowed myself to smoke anything that wasn't a Nic puro or a CC. After that first JdN, I bought boxes of clasicos and became a big DPG fan. Also got a lot of Oliva sticks.

I've learned to love Dom rep, Honduran and tobacco from other places (still struggle with costa rican though). But that JdN and the big, savory "nicaraguan" flavors i got from it definitely changed me from a guy that simply smoked cigars to a real enthusiast. Will definitely remember that one moment as "the one" where I got seriously hooked.