What's new

What's Being Drank This Weekend

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
SMWS bottling 29.118 "Surprise!" by Laphroaig. 16yo & 121pf.
It may have been addressed before but I'm curious... do you think SMWSA is worth it? I'm afraid of paying the membership and then when a bottle comes up that I want, it won't be available because there are so few bottles compared to members. Plus, I'm not sure how many different bottles come to the membership each year. Effectively you have to buy an option on whisky - which I'm not adverse to, I just hear mixed views on the value of that option compared to its cost.

Part of the appeal, I suppose, is that once you've made it through the bulk of the standard bottlings, these one offs are a fun way to try a different take on an old favorite.

LigaPrivadaFanboy

Unrepentant Hoarder
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
SMWS bottling 29.118 "Surprise!" by Laphroaig. 16yo & 121pf.
It may have been addressed before but I'm curious... do you think SMWSA is worth it? I'm afraid of paying the membership and then when a bottle comes up that I want, it won't be available because there are so few bottles compared to members. Plus, I'm not sure how many different bottles come to the membership each year. Effectively you have to buy an option on whisky - which I'm not adverse to, I just hear mixed views on the value of that option compared to its cost.

Part of the appeal, I suppose, is that once you've made it through the bulk of the standard bottlings, these one offs are a fun way to try a different take on an old favorite.
Fuck yeah it's worth it to me. I'm a crazy drunk scotch whore. Never had an availability problem. 10 new bottles come out every month, mostly speysides and islays. You like those? PROFIT! You're not buying options. You get your bottles in < 1 week, shipped from Maspeth, NY.

Flavors are deeper, more complex and higher prrof at same time than store-bought stuff from the same distilleries.

edit: it's not cigars - takes MONTHS to sell all bottles of a popular release. Bought maybe 15 bottles so far.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Fuck yeah it's worth it to me. I'm a crazy drunk scotch whore. Never had an availability problem. 10 new bottles come out every month, mostly speysides and islays. You like those? PROFIT! You're not buying options. You get your bottles in < 1 week, shipped from Maspeth, NY.

Flavors are deeper, more complex and higher prrof at same time than store-bought stuff from the same distilleries.

edit: it's not cigars - takes MONTHS to sell all bottles of a popular release. Bought maybe 15 bottles so far.
Good feedback... my biggest concern was availability but sounds like that isn't an issue...

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Had some Glenlivet last night with my Oliva Serie V. Tonight a simple rum and coke. Not sure if there will be a smoke or not.