What's new

What's in a College Degree?

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
The value of a college degree really depends on the type of degree. You can go get a sociology or philosophy degree and that won't do you any goddamn good. Then there are engineering, science and math degrees which help immensely. Business degrees also help but I know less of the business world than most anyone here. I know this much, my degree (biotechnology) helped me get my job at Victory, but I am far from doing gene insertions into the brewing yeast. I run a centrifuge and filter and remove unneeded yeast from fermentors. Not a whole lot of biotechnology with valve flipping and button pushing but it was relevant to the job.

As more and more people are given free or low cost rides to college by the federal government/state governments our society has become increasingly credentialed. With the credentialed mentality jobs that did not require a degree now require a degree. To me it seems that the B.S. or B.A. today was the equivalent to a high school diploma 20-30 years ago. How long until a graduate degree is the new bachelors?

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
What's in a college degree? It gets you to the interview stage. Companies don't hire face to face it's done computer, fax, email you got to look good on paper. It's a "buyers market" companies don't want to sift through 50 applications with majority going straight to the trash so more requirements thins out the crowd. It sucks getting laid off and I don't know what field your in but you might want to consider going and getting your BA. You'll have a degree and tons of experience making you stand out.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm not HR, but I've managed people for many years and done a fair amount of hiring. Some thoughts....

1. High unemployment means this is buyers' market. Screening for degrees skinnies the list quickly.
2. Hiring 22 year old with a degree probably means lower salary cost than hiring you.
3. Manager can assume with some degree of certainty that degree holder is a 'learner', thus more likely to be 'trainable'.
4. Degree indicates commitment and dedication attributes.
5. Not sure what field you're talking about, but recent degree in field might indicate current knowledge - even unrelated degree might indicate higher comfort level with current technology.
6. More apt to be comfortable with change - almost certainly true of younger, recent grads
7. Almost certainly would have had some successful class work in language, writing, communication.

I'm thinking largely of recent college graduates here, but, many of this still applies to anyone who stuck it out and got their degree. Another class of applicants that gets an instant foot closer to being in the door are servicemen and women who left military on honorable terms. They bring similar dedication and commitment traits, but may not necessarily be as good with 'change'.
Sorry to hear about your situation. I'm quoting Dave from above, as that is the Human Resource perspective that medium and large companies have. In a buyers' market, HR and execs believe that you get better candidates/employees with this approach.

I have made a number of hires, without degrees or a degree different from the "HR requirement". Most have been very successful. For the no degree hires, I have had to go to bat against HR and justify the hire. I had to have personal knowledge of the individual and their work habits/performance....Or one of my key employees had to be sponsoring them with solid back-up. This is one reason why networking within your industry can be so important.

Good luck and start touching base with your past acquaintances to look for referrals or opportunities. Remain positive...at least outwardly. No one wants to hire someone that is down on their luck.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Sorry to hear about your employment situation brother.

Been there myself (twice now)

Being also in IT Security degrees don't mean much - mine is in physiology.

While there are others I work with that don't have a degree it will hinder how far they go in some companies, per company policy

I am not sure what industry you in, but in mine your outside activities go a long way - speaking at conferences, publishing research or knowledge via blogging, social media, user groups, volunteering for events, going to conferences, etc...

I've accidentally found myself talking to people high up the food chain over a beer on more than one occasional post these activities. Best way to get past HR pre-screen and not just be a piece of paper IMO. Besides I'm all for sharing ideas and experiences so that's the additional upside.

Just my two cents

Good luck bro

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was a Plant Manager before I retired and in my career I played significant roles in HR along with almost every conceivable position there is in upper Management. College degrees tell a manager many things and if anything it let's them know that the aspiring candidate put in the "time" where others end up quitting. Managers and HR staffing often engage in writing up job descriptions to hire those where vacancies come up. Not every job needs a college degree esp. in a job market where it's really about experience. There are different ways for prospective employees to make themselves hireable and what separates you from the others is what you bring to the job. Certificates play an important role as well and those who go to specific institutions to get degrees in IT and other things are showing initiative and that is what managers look at. We also look at history of employment as that tells us another story...stability and attention to detail ensures that managers won't have a turnstile operation in place. Longevity is key and in this day and age most workers tend to change jobs like they do their underwear and it's just not about filling a spot...it's about ensuring that the spot be filled by competent people who will be there everyday..on time and not bring to the position any drama with their personal lives. What managers love is somebody who can make an immediate impact with the job...where it makes the managers life easier...this is what makes the prospective candidate heads above the others.

On job interviews one needs to know facts about the industry or the Company to which they are applying. Impressing any hiring staff is another key component to getting a job...let your interviewer know that you took the time to investigate the company and what they have done...give facts and figures so the interviewer knows you took the time to do some homework.

I had one person come in and tell me that they would work for 2 weeks for free...and if I didn't think he was a "keeper" then I wouldn't lose a dime on this and with that kind of initiative it made me look at his character along with his resume'.....what made the difference to me was that every candidate was basically the same only this guy put everything on the line for the job...I hired him and he ended up being one of my best employees. Being able to see things through a different prism can sometimes let you see the hidden things that most HR people can't...think outside the box.

Rating - 100%
165   0   0
A degree is only worth what you put into it. If you just go to college just to get the piece of paper than you're less likely to get your monies worth. As a Poli Sci major and a Communication Studies Minor I learned critical thinking skills, and also improved at communicating my thoughts and ideas verbally and on paper. Jobs typically can't teach you these skills as they expect to already have them. One of the reasons I am good at what I do is due to the fact in college I had professors who challenged my ideas, and encouraged me to think for myself rather than regurgitate only what they said. Trust me, everyone gets something out of their college education, sometimes you don't realize the skills you've learned.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Seems to me that a degree is more about the achievement and shows sticktoitivness. The fact that you saw it through says a lot to employers (hence the many people working outside of their major) I.e. if I train you to do this you will see it thru and become good at it if the other factors or talents for said job also exist

Tiburon

Apprentice BOTL
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
It's supply and demand. With unemployment what it is today, employers can demand whatever skill set they choose.

I'm a pharmacist. Walked the graduation aisle three times and have 16 years of experience. Today, they're pushing young grads to do a one year residency where they get a lot of experience but make next to nothing.

When I was trying to get out of the place I was before my current job, I applied for jobs all over the area and despite three degrees and 16 years on the job I was told that without a residency I wouldn't get a job. I got very fortunate getting my current job but the fact is that even in healthcare, half of graduates aren't employed a year after graduation.

All supply and demand.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Everyone,
sorry i have been out of the loop on this. i have been hustling resumes and such. i thank everyone for there kind words. This is why i love the cigar community. i am trying to stay positive guys and still going at it hard. i hope everyone is doing great. i am willing to relocate for work and dont mind traveling as some of you know just trying to get my resume out all over. once again i thanks everyone.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
From my experience, it depends on what field you are in. If you are an office related person such as lawyer, engineer, Etc.. You need a degree. Why? Because they can. I have a degree in architectural and mechanical design, Its an associates Degree but it doesn't mean shit. To find a entry level drafting position are becoming more difficult to find. If you are in a field based job such as IT, Electrician, Etc. Experience still rules over degrees. Although more and more employers are looking for degrees. Mainly It does show a level of commitment and dedication it also show a level of competency. I mean seriously you need a associates degree or a bachelors degree to be a garbage man now. Seriously a garbage man!!

Rating - 100%
127   0   0
My wife got degree, worst mistake of our lives..... Now 35,000 in debt and she said she didn't learn shit. All of her skills have come from experience. I will say there are certain things college is good for just not things like business degrees.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
A lot of generalizations going on in this thread, which I understand because people have different experiences. Firstly, having a college degree can always help... all things equal between candidates, the person with a degree will more than likely get the job. Even having a degree in an unrelated field can help. And sorry Rex, college isn't good for business degrees??? Like any degree/program, it really depends on the person and how they apply themselves with the education/program they are going through. If someone gets a Marketing degree and doesn't have any desire to work for a company truly doing market research or other marketing activities, they will fall back on sales or something like that where someone can feel like their degree didn't mean anything. But still, that degree will help. Accounting is a business degree and do you think someone without experience/degree can get a job at a big accounting firm like Deloitte & Touche etc? I know a handfull of people that got a great job straight out of college with business degrees. I'm not ranting on you Rex, just have a lot of experience with business and know a lot of people that have benefited from business degrees.
Generally speaking business degrees are higher wage earning degrees as opposed to something like a arts degree that may have lower earning potential. I AM NOT KNOCKING ART DEGREES just expressing my .02 cents. The probability of paying off student loans is quicker with a business degree as opposed to a arts degree is significantly higher.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Way to much info I edited this...

All I will say Degree Good, Experience Good, Bandito Bad...

If you are a Degree holding experienced bandito you might be able to become president or atleast become a mayor.. :)

Last edited:

NOGILLS2

Navigator
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My $00.02 worth! My present job and the last job I had, the first requirement was minimum BA or BS. I applied anyway, I was shocked because out of 48 candidates, 47 with masters degrees and me. I got the job, because I had experience in the business, maritime. The boss said: " I can teach you MS word, Excel and PPT, I don't have time to teach them what you know!" I was amazed! The job I now hold is at a Community College, again BA or BS minimum, they came looking for me! Totally blew me out of the water! Amazingly they approached me nearly a year before my other job ended. I could not believe the timing. As the new job became available just weeks after the other ended. I have since found out that there were angels in the background, I didn't know about. The Chancellor of the college was looking for someone and spoke with a company I was trying to get on with and they actually recommended me for the job. This mystery company and I had been talking and I really wanted a job with them, but they were not ready to hire anyone new at the time. In the meantime unbeknownst to me, the two managements were talking, and my name came up. Needless to say I have been excited about this.
The awesome thing is I am creating the program.
I only say all of that is to say: If you can dream it, the only person that can stop you is you! If you can decide what you would like to do, go after it, persistence is the key! You WILL encounter much resistance but determination will see you through. I suggest you watch "The Pursuit of Happiness" with Will Smith! That should get you fired up!

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
To add to this - yes it depends on the field, and the experience, but it also helps in WHO you know and the network that you have. In my line of work certifications are also key and maybe even more than an MBA.

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Well, I am in HR. (Please don't throw anything hard at me. Itnhurts. Lol).

It's been said in this thread that HR does not set standards for advertised positions, or shouldn't. That's a fact. As stated, I have no clue what a good accountant would be, nor a janitor. We assist with the process and make sure hiring managers follow federal, state and local hiring laws.

To the ones that have said a degree shows an ability to learn, that there's some dedication, etc... with a candidate, I agree. My former Professional Engineer father in law used to always say, "a degree doesn't teach you shit except how to learn".

I really hate to hear about your situation and truly hope it gets better soon.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The value of a college degree really depends on the type of degree. You can go get a sociology or philosophy degree and that won't do you any goddamn good. Then there are engineering, science and math degrees which help immensely. Business degrees also help but I know less of the business world than most anyone here. I know this much, my degree (biotechnology) helped me get my job at Victory, but I am far from doing gene insertions into the brewing yeast. I run a centrifuge and filter and remove unneeded yeast from fermentors. Not a whole lot of biotechnology with valve flipping and button pushing but it was relevant to the job.

As more and more people are given free or low cost rides to college by the federal government/state governments our society has become increasingly credentialed. With the credentialed mentality jobs that did not require a degree now require a degree. To me it seems that the B.S. or B.A. today was the equivalent to a high school diploma 20-30 years ago. How long until a graduate degree is the new bachelors?
If youre smart enough to teach yourself applied math and have enough cash to start your own business then you probably dont need a degree. There are lots of successful entrepreneurs out there that do not have a college degree but that is the exception not the rule. They typically have an incredibly strong work ethic, eat; breath and sleep their business.