What's new

What's in your Cabinet? (Bourbon)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
With all of the talk about Bourbon recently, figured I'd start this thread:

What's in your cabinet? Opened, un-opened, whatever, JUST BOURBON!

For me:
1.75L of Knob Creek...half empty already...damnit.
Woodford Reserve, probably 60% full. Sorry, but I don't see the attraction with this stuff. It's OK, but nowhere near worth the price.
Makers Mark...actually at a friends house, but on it's way back to my cabinet as soon as he brings it by. I like this for a lighter bourbon. Not my favorite, but it works.
Eagle Rare 17 yr...just picked this up. Have had 2 pours and I haven't passed judgement on it yet, but I liked the second pour.
George T. Stagg 2006...reserved space, working on getting at least a case of this in the cabinet and I'm on my way there if everything works out.
George T. STagg 2005...again, reserved space. One bottle that I've procured thorugh a trade. Can't wait to compare the two bottlings.

On the short list to pick up:
Buffalo Trace
Eagle Rare 10 yr
Bakers...figured as it was awarded Worlds Best American Whiskey/Worlds Best Bourbon I should give it a try, especially after reading some tasting notes on it that make it sound right up my ally.
Russell's Reserve...just because...I mean look at my name!:smokingbo

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Let me know if 19.99 is a good price for the Eagle Rare 10 yr 750ml. I was thinking about picking some up this weekend but I want to know if that is a good price or not before i do.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
With all of the talk about Bourbon recently, figured I'd start this thread:

What's in your cabinet? Opened, un-opened, whatever, JUST BOURBON!

For me:

Woodford Reserve, probably 60% full. Sorry, but I don't see the attraction with this stuff. It's OK, but nowhere near worth the price.

I hate that stuff,

but that being said,

I have a bottle

plus knob creek

and one other i dont remember what it is though..

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Let me know if 19.99 is a good price for the Eagle Rare 10 yr 750ml. I was thinking about picking some up this weekend but I want to know if that is a good price or not before i do.
That's the going rate. They also make it in smaller bottles if you are just looking to "taste" it. I think they run right at $12 or so.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, quick Bourbon lesson. There are blended bourbons. They must be 51% straight bourbon and then they are mixed with neutral spirits. Then you have Single barrel, which is what it sounds like and small batch which only uses...well, small batches to blend :wink:
There are very strict rules on what can be called Bourbon and what can't as well as how it is produced. The Crown Royal you mention above is not Bourbon. It's a blended whisky that probably has bourbon in it and definately has bourbon-like whisky blended in.
For Bourbon, at the very least, 51% of the mash must be corn. Most run in the 65%-75% range. They must be aged at least 2 years in New white oak barrels that have been charred. No additives are allowed for color or taste. De-Ionized water is used to cut down to whatever proof the Bourbon is bottled at.

Also, Jack Daniels is also not techinically a Bourbon. It is a Tennessee Whiskey. It is charcoal filtered before being aged, other than that it certainly starts out the same way.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Oooooooooooohhhhh...Andrew, nooooooooooooooo. LOL.

Put that bottle away in the back of the cabinet and go pick up some Makers Mark, Knob Creek, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10yr, Evan Williams Single Barrel, or any other number of good, fairly inexpensive Bourbons to start out with. Let your palate get aquainted to the stuff before you go attacking it with GTS! :rofl:

Seriously, I love the stuff, but I started right off with Knob Creek wich alot of people feel is too strong. And it's just over half the proof that GTS is.

If you do decide to start off with the Stag, just don't let it deter you from trying other Bourbons. Also, if you love the stuff on first taste, good luck to you, you'll be ruined! LMAO!