What's new

Whats so special with Tatuaje Cigars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rating - 100%
46   0   0
everyone has different tastes. I really am not one of those who chases all the LE's, but if I had to choose one NC brand to smoke for the rest of my life - Tatuaje would probably be my choice
Just the regular brown line is sublime with 5+ years on them. Plus he makes all of my favorite sizes in blends that mirror my tastes almost perfectly
Just my 2 cents

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Kinda shocking to me, you haven't had any being a BOTL member since '12.

But, what evs. Briefly, to me what makes the cigars special early on was Pepin and that tobacco being used. As time went, the introduction of new lines/editions, and in addition to that the brand and customer relationships Pete has with retailers and more importantly his final customers. Lotta respect to him and the cigars are enjoyable too, imo.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
BOTL - I gotta throw in my .02 here...

"What makes Tatuaje cigars special?" In my opinion, everybody that is in business today--who is considered "boutique"--owes a great deal to Pete Johnson and what he's created with Tatuaje. I don't think any one person single-handedly has changed the face of the premium business over the last dozen or so years, more than Pete/Tatuaje. Before Tatuaje, I'd argue that there was no such thing as "boutique." Prior to 2003, brands like CAO(!) or Rocky Patel were considered the 'boutique' brands (lol). Back then, there was no Illusione, Warped, RomaCraft, Crowned Heads, etc., and Drew Estate was still known for 'infused' cigars only.

Allow me to share a true story with you all. It was 2003 in Nashville, TN, and we were at the annual RTDA (what is now the IPCPR) trade show. As I'd done for the past 7 years (I first met Pete at the Cinncy RTDA in '96), I sought out Pete to see what "was good out there" (to smoke). Pete actually had 2 cabs of un-banded cigars...he handed one to me and said, "dude, try this--it's MY cigar." The moment I lit it and got into it, I literally thought to myself, "GAME-CHANGER." The blend was what would become Tatuaje (brown label). And it was AMAZING--unlike anything I'd smoked to that point in my young career in the premium cigar industry.

Now think about this: Tatuaje came out at a time when there was no twitter, instagram, Facebook, etc.--the only way you got your word out there was via Cigar Aficionado magazine (and then Cigar Insider). Further, the brand launched with pretty much zero advertising--at a high (for the time) price point--with a brand name most people could not even pronounce--and with very understated packaging. The success of Tatuaje built rapidly and SOLELY by word of mouth. It was THAT good.

And for my money, it is STILL that good. Hats off to my brother-from-another-mother, i.e., Mr. Pete H. Johnson. Bravo bro.

Cheers.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've made an intro post, more than one I think as another pointed out I've been here since 2012.

And who's begging for anything? I didn't ask anyone for anything! That comment was a joke from 2012 when I was just getting started with cigars and was talking about having only 20 cigars in a Wine-a-dor (a bit overkill most would agree)! I even followed it up stating that I was joking, so thanks for taking a comment from 4 years ago out of context.

Sorry for asking a legitimate question about a cigar.

Last edited:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cigars are like women....you either like em or you don't and one comes along every day to choose from. I've had enough Tats and frankly I don't understand the hub bub about em. The price and taste aren't in my wheelhouse so I smoke other cigars. So many choices and I'd rather smoke something I like than whoever is marketing them. I don't buy or smoke cigars because they are marketed like a McDonalds $hitty hamburger...so many hobbyists just feel the need to get on the cigar band wagon of what is the next prized cigar. For those who love Tats....that's not a bad thing as long as your smoking them because you like em...I'd rather spend money on cigars I love.

Deadman

What
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, Ill regale you guys with a story.

As some of you were implying that I was somehow panhandling for cigars, I was letting my temper get the better of me and was a bit fired up.

BUT then I realized this is BOTL, yall do a lot of "freebies" for people and Im sure other people have tried to take advantage of that in the past. Before I came to this level headed response, I called every shop in town hunting down tat's and found a place that had em, and went to pick me up some. However I did not come home with any, as this shop goofed and put the Liga's right next to them, and I havent had a Liga in ages.

So, without further ado, my rebuttal to anyone that assumes I was "fishing" for sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.