What's new

What's the weirdest term you've heard to describe how a cigar tastes

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Groooooss. Makes me think of the buttered popcorn Jelly Belly, which always ruins the handful! Always!

Rating - 95.5%
24   1   0
Haha all those beat my dads. Especially the pencil lead... 

I still don't understand the point all the intricate descriptions from cigar reviews. I swear the reviewers taste palate must be on steroids to taste, a hint of lemon, grass, chocolate, hickory, coffee, etc... All in one cigar lol.
I totally agree. Sometimes I think they're talking out they're asses!lol

Oh yeah, how the hell do you taste Earth? I didn't know Earth had a taste!

D Quintero

Fumador
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
molasses - syrupy sweet . personally, a comparative term ive used best is , cotton candy - airy sweet .

pencil lead i get alot is from the more , 'twiggier' jlp sticks smoked , then cola and dirt ... yum !

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
Haha all those beat my dads. Especially the pencil lead... 

I still don't understand the point all the intricate descriptions from cigar reviews. I swear the reviewers taste palate must be on steroids to taste, a hint of lemon, grass, chocolate, hickory, coffee, etc... All in one cigar lol.
I totally agree. Sometimes I think they're talking out they're asses!lol

Haha. I think they should just go by the basics like mild bold smooth etc.. I right down either it was great, good, so-so or don't ever think of buying this again in my little cigar notes lol

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I swear the reviewers taste palate must be on steroids to taste, a hint of lemon, grass, chocolate, hickory, coffee, etc... All in one cigar lol
I've tasted all of those. Most of them (save for the hickory) were present in the Daruma Mutante, for example, IIRC. And my palate isn't all that spectacular.

If you've ever been on a farm, or worked in a yard, you get it. Earthy soil... it's rich, fragrant... it's just earth, man!

Haha. I think they should just go by the basics like mild bold smooth etc.. I right down either it was great, good, so-so or don't ever think of buying this again in my little cigar notes lol
Most reviewers do that as well, but the little specific flavor descriptions make a big difference to me. For example, I do like a hint of citrus in some of my smokes (like the Montecristo GE, it has a bit of lemon/citrus that makes it awesome), but I don't like the citrus tea flavor (like in the Daruma Mutante, for example). Those little distinctions make a big difference in whether I like a cigar or not.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I think that one probably has to do with the smell. Like, you know when you light a match, and you smell that sulfur so strong you can taste it? The same kind of thing happens with flint. I think that's often what's coming across with some of these... more of a sensation of whatever is being described, as opposed to an actual on the tongue taste. Since a lot of our sense of taste comes from smell, that would make sense, I think...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Some of us at the herf were having this same conversation. CWS had the best by far: Wet horse blanket.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Crushed ants?? My sides hurt...

I guess I can see where a certain culture may encounter a multitude of crushed ants, so many that the smell can actually be detected.

But the taste?

So sorry if I offend, but that is just ridiculous.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A persons sense of taste relies heavily on their sense of smell. I know quite a few people that can't taste anything unless it is extremely spicy or potent because they can't smell.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Well at least some of those are edible... I still struggle with the leather thing
Ever smell a leather jacket? You get that in taste or in the aroma.

Strangest one I heard is cumin. It is a spice, but it is something that is rarely used and hardly ever spoken of.
Yeah I get it but still ...and I use cumin all the time lol

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Cumin? Not used? Looks like some pour soul has been eating bland Mexican food.

I have actually got Cardamon and Cumin before... different sticks, of course.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Some of us at the herf were having this same conversation. CWS had the best by far: Wet horse blanket.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
Ha. That was beer. Best would be "hobo's ass" from One a Day

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
I'm certainly guilty of describing wierd notes from time to time. However, this one makes me giggle everytime..."Black Cherry jell-o made with redhots and applesauce".

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I'm certainly guilty of describing wierd notes from time to time. However, this one makes me giggle everytime..."Black Cherry jell-o made with redhots and applesauce".
That doesn't sound too bad, actually. In food or in a cigar. I love the blast of black cherry I get from GH#5's.
Recipe?