What's new

Whats your price point?

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Ive been listening to some podcasts lately and something that comes up often is the complaint about prices. I get that taxes can drive prices sky high in places like Chicago (I hear they are really bad there) but then theres the ones I hear complaining about prices that to me seem low (under $12 a stick) and are good to great smokes.
So what Im wondering... on average, whats your price point for:
  • low (previously mentioned as good)*
  • medium (previously mentioned as better)*
  • high (previously mentioned as best)*
(* my previous use of the terms good, better, best was not intended to mean that those cigars were better or worse than others.)

Mine are as follows:
  • low - $2 - $6
  • medium - $7 - $14 (this is where most of my money is spent)
  • high - $15 - $??
Thing is Ive had few cigars in the 20s/30s that were better than a sub $15 smoke. As I think of it only two to be honest but those land in the ultra premium category or are heavily taxed Cubans (which Im not taking into consideration in my scale above).

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not following. I'm interpreting this as you are saying that the best smokes in your opinion are north of $15, but then in your last paragraph, you say you have had some sub $15 smokes that are better than higher priced cigars. I must be reading something wrong

3/5King

Shwing!
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Well hot damn, were you looking inside my brain this morning? Yes Chicago taxes are brutal, well anywhere in Illinois. I was thinking about this topic this morning, after finishing a Don Carlos 2006 that I paid around 38.00 for....sick right? The cost was not justified by the experience. Yes it is a good smoke but as you said, many that are as good or worlds better (IMO) are sub 15$...even sub 8$ for that matter. I do get the risk and efforts it takes to keep some of the aged tobacco that go into some of these sticks 40+ years old. That somewhat justifies the cost but the leaf, to me, does not justify the efforts and risks taken to keep it that long. It doesn't hit some super high mark that puts it 3-4 times above another smoke. anyways, my price points.

Everyday smokes - under 5$ (I try for under 4 really)

Most I want to regularly pay for premium sticks sub 10$

What I will pay for sticks semi regularly, if they're worth it - sub 15$

Do I think cigar prices should be so high, no. But it's what the market bares.

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
don't usually buy singles so mine would be box/bundle prices.

once or twice a month - $1-$1.5 for Garo I got on Cbid.
once or twice a month - something over $250 a box
rest of the time - boxes in the $150-$250 range that I typically pay 15-20 percent less for.

(only exception would be cojonu wet packs that are around $300 a box and there's no rhyme or reason for smoking those. Gone through a box in a few weeks, other times have not had them for months)

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I'm not following. I'm interpreting this as you are saying that the best smokes in your opinion are north of $15, but then in your last paragraph, you say you have had some sub $15 smokes that are better than higher priced cigars. I must be reading something wrong
No, not saying that at all. Keep in mind I wrote "on average" in my post. Let me see if I can clarify my thought...
I mentioned that there were only two above that $15 price point that were worth it. What I should have said was this... Ive had a few that were just over $15 that Id pay that again but few (only a couple) that were in the 20/30 range that were worth it at all.
I find that most of what I smoke lands in the "better" range and now that I type this out I probably should not have used "good, better best" I should have used "low, med and high". Ill go back and change/adjust that post... sorry for my lack of brain power this morning.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get to smoke more than once per week, so I tend to focus on the $7-14 range. I buy mostly singles and 5 packs. If I smoked every day, I'm sure that my price range and quantity would change. I've bought a few pricey sticks like BBMF's and just can't bring myself to smoke them.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I've distilled my collection down to only sticks I really enjoy. The prices range from 6 to 36...honestly I can't tell you the higher priced is always better...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
given current costs and distribution structures a fine cigar in the US will typically cost around $8, and truly top flight exceptional cigars will exceed $12... you may find a sub $6 cigar you love, but you need to understand you are buying sirloin not Delmonico.

Personally I think the best strategy for getting the best cigar for your money is to find something you like and wait for its sales to wane, then buy it in bulk as it heads down the path to discontinuation.

I know a ton of folks will argue my assertion that you need to spend so much, but they are wrong. The best tobaccos, with the best sorting, fermentation, aging are only rolled by the best torcedors and subjected to the highest standards of quality control. And this simply costs more than making a good handmade cigar.

2 more points:

- If you find something you enjoy that costs less, great, enjoy it - I am no cigar snob, I love a good hamburger as much as the next guy.

- Way too Many cigars in the marketplace are overpriced IMO for what we as consumers are receiving, we pay for filet yet receive sirloin.

STS

btubes18

The Thing
Rating - 100%
149   0   0
given current costs and distribution structures a fine cigar in the US will typically cost around $8, and truly top flight exceptional cigars will exceed $12... you may find a sub $6 cigar you love, but you need to understand you are buying sirloin not Delmonico.

Personally I think the best strategy for getting the best cigar for your money is to find something you like and wait for its sales to wane, then buy it in bulk as it heads down the path to discontinuation.

I know a ton of folks will argue my assertion that you need to spend so much, but they are wrong. The best tobaccos, with the best sorting, fermentation, aging are only rolled by the best torcedors and subjected to the highest standards of quality control. And this simply costs more than making a good handmade cigar.

2 more points:

- If you find something you enjoy that costs less, great, enjoy it - I am no cigar snob, I love a good hamburger as much as the next guy.

- Way too Many cigars in the marketplace are overpriced IMO for what we as consumers are receiving, we pay for filet yet receive sirloin.

STS
Great post! Agree fully with it except I think there are some very good cigars under the $7 mark. Illusione R and Nica Rustica come to mind.

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
Ssaka, no one is wrong...because this is all based on opinion.
Naw his assertion is that u in fact have to pay more for the better rollers, tobacco, and qc because of the costs attached to those services. Doesn't mean you can't get what you think is a good stick for cheap but an inexpensive stick just won't contain product subjected to the same standards. At least that's what I got from it.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ssaka, no one is wrong...because this is all based on opinion.
My post wasn't based on opinion, it is physically impossible to make a truly top shelf cigar at a profit point that allows for sustainable consistency for less than $12 retail in today's market. And regretfully this is becoming the bottom side of the cost to price window given current inflationary pressures.

Can you make a good cigar for less? Yes, but not one the caliber of Opus, Liga, Padron Annis or the like consistently.

Anyone that thinks differently doesn't know enough about tobacco, factory operations, and/or the cigar business.

Mistaforty's interpretation of my original post is correct.

BR,

STS

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I really enjoyed the Ave Maria Reconquista, but I wouldn't spend near that on a normal basis. I typically try and stay below $40 for a fiver. While I'm out on this "adventure," I'm trying to expand my palate and try as many new cigars as possible, but I also want to have a couple extra to trade with buddies, or just to smoke again myself. You make a great point though!