What's new

When did you realize you weren't a newbie?

Kimyounil

They call me Mike.
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just a random thought. For some of you BOTL's who have been around the block, when did you realize you were no longer a newbie? For the newbies like me, what is your goal to overcome your newbie status?

For me I'd like to be able to write a decent review and maybe be able to blow smoke out of my nose.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Hmmmm....it's an interesting question, and my answer to it is pretty straightforward. Please don't take straightforwardness for rudness.

When I stopped worrying about being a newbie.

That's not meant as a zing, but it's pretty much the truth. At a certain point you realize what you want out of this hobby and that the learning never really stops, like the Tubadude mentioned.

When I first started I was obsessed about everything, constantly reading about new things, checking hygrometers, worrying about this or that. After a while, as my knowledge base started to grow, I stopped worrying so much and just started enjoying things.

Good luck on you journey!!!

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
When I started hanging out with you guys and became able to hold my own when talking cigars with the owner of the local B&M. I eventually started to be able to slip in tidbits about different special releases and stuff that even the owner of the B&M didn't know about yet, and I think that's the point where I realized I wasn't such a newbie.
But compared to most of you FOGs, I haven't even gotten started yet. I'm always finding out more information about cigars.
Would I consider myself a newbie when compared to most people? Hell no. But I also know that there's so much more about cigars out there than I can even conceive, and when I judge myself based on that I think I might be a newbie for a good 10-or-so more years.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I am not a "newbie" anymore. Even winning BOM June 2006 I was still very new to cigars, I felt like a newbie.

Maybe it was when I outgrew the 28 bottle Avanti wine cooler that was packed with boxes and had to get a coolidor that I no longer felt like a newbie. As far as knowledge and understanding about cigar, I have a LONG way to go and hopefully continue to learn like a newbie.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I never liked the newbie title. It can be applied in two ways; 1) new to the site and 2) new to cigars. A newbie that is new to the site is someone who is building their reputation for trades, sales etc. Gaining trust as it were. We all go through this period everytime we sign on to a board. I think BOTL is a little more open and accomodating to newbies to the board. Ask good questions, dont be too pushy and your not a newbie long here. A newbie to cigars is my favorite person. Someone who is just delving into this wonderful past time with all its rich history. I love people who ask me about cigars and enjoy sharing my favorites. This is a true newbie.

When do you stop being newbie? I agree with Jason...when you stop obsessing about it and begin to participate. Share your favorite cigar with the group. Tell us a cigar story that you enjoy. Ask questions when there is something you dont understand. Participate. I have been smoking cigars for a long time and learn things that are "new" to me every day from others. Some with more history some with less. You may know about a cigar I have never tried which becomes my asolute favoriite. Then who is the newbie?

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
good question....to be honest...I don;t know

I still very much consider myself a 'newbie'. truth be told, I have learned a TON since I found this board...but I have an eternity to go. I have begun to appreciate this hobby for what it is, like many have stated, something to be enjoyed and not obssessed over.

that being said, do I consider myself a newbie...absolutely, and will for a great deal of time i'm afraid. (but I'm fine with that)

Ratbert

BoM Oct '07
Rating - 100%
107   0   0
I'm still a rookie and am always finding new aspects of smoking that make me ask questions and make me think. I'd be damned disappointed if I thought there was nothing new out there for me to learn about cigars.

BTW Chuck, your response was a minor masterpiece! Nothing much to add after that particular bit of wisdom!