What's new

When you gettin here Rev?

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Most of you don't know what these ingredients mean...

But Rev.B does!

It'll be ready in 3 days Bry... Bring your appetite! :)

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Ooooh...I know what that is!!!

You guys are in for a treat at the Redneck Rendezvous!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Haitian Pikliz... kinda like a spicy/hot vinegar based cole slaw... absolutely AWESOME as a topper for burgers, brats, etc.. awesome kick ass on pork, morning eggs, etc..

This batch is a "test".. I bumped up the garlic content a little bit to see how I like it.. assuming it is good.. I'll replicate and make about a gallon of it for the HERF..

Good eating.... once warm weather hits I normally keep a batch of this on hand all the way through the spring, summer, and into the fall.. its a perfect companion for just about anything that comes off the grill :)

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
Would you be willing to part with the recipe Dave? I'm looking for some good slaw that would pair nicely with pulled pork for the summer.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Haitian Pikliz... kinda like a spicy/hot vinegar based cole slaw... absolutely AWESOME as a topper for burgers, brats, etc.. awesome kick ass on pork, morning eggs, etc..

This batch is a "test".. I bumped up the garlic content a little bit to see how I like it.. assuming it is good.. I'll replicate and make about a gallon of it for the HERF..

Good eating.... once warm weather hits I normally keep a batch of this on hand all the way through the spring, summer, and into the fall.. its a perfect companion for just about anything that comes off the grill :)

Nice, very close to kim chi, love that as well. makin my mouth water.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Would you be willing to part with the recipe Dave? I'm looking for some good slaw that would pair nicely with pulled pork for the summer.

Its actually really simple to make.. I've "tweaked" the recipe several times over the years... but the basics are:

1 head of cabbage (traditional is green cabbage.. but I occasionally will use a red cabbage.. it makes everything a pretty wild psychadellic pink color.. and tastes a little bit sweeter than the green).. chopped pretty finely (like cole slaw)

1 sweet yellow onion chopped finely

1 carrot.. grated very finely

5 fresh cloves of garlic.. finely minced

1/2 tea spoon of salt

2 tea spoons of black peppercorns

6-8 Scotch Bonnet peppers (can be replaced with habaneros if you cant find SB's) finely minced (seeds in)..

1 liter of distilled white vinegar...

mix up all of your ingredients.. put them in a glass or plastic container (I usually use a 1 gallon pitcher).. DO NOT use a metal container.. pour in vinegar until the contents are completely submerged...

refrigerate for 3x days (longer is better.. this stuff will stay "good" for several weeks.. you are essentially pickling all of the veggies)..

then eat!

great topper.. or can be eaten as a side dish.. awesome on just about any protein you can imagine.. I havent eaten it with fish much.. but it kicks ass with pork, beef, chicken, eggs, etc..

if you need to turn down the heat a little bit.. pull all of the seeds of the peppers before you mince them..

some people like it a little heavy on the garlic side.. some like it with less.. some like to chop the carrots rather than grating them in order to add more "crunch"...

just play with it a little bit and see what you like...

but.. if you like "slaw" type dishes.. and like "heat".. this stuff is EXCELLENT (IMO)...

I used to spend a lot of time in Haiti.. one of the housekeepers/cooks that we employed down there was simply outstanding in the kitchen.. she taught me how to make it in the late 1990's.. Ive been eating it regularly ever since :)

Ill be making up a large batch for the HERF.. if anyone wants to give it a try before going home to make an attempt of your own :)