What's new

Where did everyone migrate to?

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I remember the days of always having botl open in a browser and refreshing constantly with new content/people being active almost 24/7. Did everyone move to Instagram? That discord thingy? Facebook? Grow up and have families?

What replaced the forums? Or people just not as active in the cigar scene online as a decade ago?

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Not to sound like a dick, just an honest question....
I see you post your cigars for sale, but don't see you post cigars your smoking, get involved in the games, banter etc...
So what changed for you?
I'm on Instagram and Twitter and still involved on this site nearly everyday. I have days/weeks were that involvement goes to a minimum, but I always continue to contribute.
I love this group and have made some great friends here, so I can't leave it.
This topic came up a few months ago in a lotto thread where a member who lost his desire to contribute complained about "Where did everyone go?" and "This place aint what to used to be."
I have no idea why this happens, but if people like you and others I see on the "members online" list don't get active and contribute, it will never get back to the way it once was.
Don't just login....login and share what you got going on. We would all love to see more of you Gavin!

I wish you would rethink your box pass too. I was stoked for that!

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
137   0   0
Wasn’t enough interest in the box pass unfortunately :banghead:

Seemed like all I was doing was logging in to play 2 games for a while, used to have a plethora of content to interact with and to but to be fair logging in a seeing minimal movement and moving on doesn’t help. For a while I took a few stabs in the dark without reply’s, but to be fair this was a reply so that’s something :giggle:

Didn't think anyone was on twitter, Instagram I can see as a replacement, I post what I smoke there cause it’s easier (for shame I know)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Not to sound like a dick, just an honest question....
I see you post your cigars for sale, but don't see you post cigars your smoking, get involved in the games, banter etc...
So what changed for you?
I'm on Instagram and Twitter and still involved on this site nearly everyday. I have days/weeks were that involvement goes to a minimum, but I always continue to contribute.
I love this group and have made some great friends here, so I can't leave it.
This topic came up a few months ago in a lotto thread where a member who lost his desire to contribute complained about "Where did everyone go?" and "This place aint what to used to be."
I have no idea why this happens, but if people like you and others I see on the "members online" list don't get active and contribute, it will never get back to the way it once was.
Don't just login....login and share what you got going on. We would all love to see more of you Gavin!

I wish you would rethink your box pass too. I was stoked for that!

I don't know about that but I do see you starting to sound these guys in a few

....I've been wanting to get rid of some old dusty smokes that have been taking up room.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I try to post at least a little something every day, even if I generally only light up a stick on weekends. I think things are cyclical...I remember it being more active here a couple years back. The core of "usual" posters seems to be fairly unchanged since I've joined, which is cool, even if I am still fairly new. Though it would be cool to see it like you described, with 24/7 postings.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I have no doubt this is the most active of the remaining sites, glory days days of the forum seems to be waning. I assumed after two weeks into security certification being expired it was a 50/50 it would get renewed.
You guys are keeping it alive, doing the lords work. I will do my best to help instead of loading and looking without posting (my dirty pastime) there is only so much scrabble and change a word I can take before I’m burnt out :LOL:

Havanaaddict

Mr. Salomones
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Yep what Tom says, when I pop on and I see What's new 333 posts in the past few days :oops: thats a crap load! But yes it is a lot slower then years ago. I try to post in what I smoked and what am listening too but I have a really old macbook pro (late 2008) and don't know enough to wipe it and reload a newer OS so everything I do is a pain in the ass. I can't see some of the posts in the what am listening too and it takes 5 or 6 ttys to open Youtube:banghead: Now that I am not buying cigars every week maybe time for a newer (used) mac:giggle:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I remember the days of always having botl open in a browser and refreshing constantly with new content/people being active almost 24/7. Did everyone move to Instagram? That discord thingy? Facebook? Grow up and have families?

What replaced the forums? Or people just not as active in the cigar scene online as a decade ago?
The same thing is happening in some of the FB groups. Instagram seemed to be popular, but it gets old watching a bunch of peacocks posting cigar and watch shots with no interactions. I mean, yay another over saturated and moody shot of mediocre stick in a dark room with a knife and bottle of bourbon, but no description just hashtags.

Reddit has a couple of decent groups. However, it looks like finding a discord server is the way now. I just don't enjoy that style. It is like the old AOL chat rooms and there is not a good way to archive it or make sure info is available for more than a few minutes or hours before the chat advances too far to make searching worthwhile.

Plus, unfortunately a lot of the folks that helped build places like this are passing on.

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I like the media integration on Instagram, it’s very easy to post pictures and videos. I’m just not a huge fan of getting ED advertisements every other post (not sure what Facebook thinks you need but I have too many children so I’ll take some ED at this point (y) )

The Reddit sphere of things seems to be geared towards brand, new, smokers, and people that want to know whether or not the Cubans they bought Mexico or fake…. So it’s just a bunch of pictures of fake Cuban cigars.

I Downloaded discord, opened it up. It was instantly confused. It’s very busy and seems hard to navigate…. So I didn’t even try. I’m not an 80 year old shut-in but I sounds likes it.

We definitely have a unique set up on BOTL, I just miss times where you could post up where you were going for the weekend and there was enough people here that would give you a shot at having two or three guys meet up with you (reading back the last sentence sounds super gay, but I’m sticking with it)