What's new

Which Manning?

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
As an Indy resident and season ticket holder, I know I'm on edge until we finally get an answer on Peyton. With the direction Irsay is going in the coaching department it looks as if he is just ready to start a whole new era of Colts football. With that said it looks as if they will take Luck and let 18 go. If it were up to me I would trade that pick for other picks down the line and some defensive guys, but I'm no pill popping millionaire so who knows.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I can't stand Eli, but I also hate The Beatles, yet I can acknowledge that they are the most important pop music band ever. I think RonC summed it up very nicely in the original post. I do disagree with Ron somewhat on his claim that the Colts sucked when Manning was at the helm. They did suck for a time...but the teams that he piloted to the championship and successful playoff journeys did not suck. Bob Sanders, Freeney, Harrison, great O line, and many others, etc...

You were pretty much spot-on with your analysis though, Ron. I just think the Colts were a great team for several years under Manning.

crispy_monkey

REZ PLZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure this is biased and off topic, but put any of them..lets throw in Rogers and Brees as well..under center for the Bears and do they make more of a difference than Cutler? Dude gets alot of heat, but seriously..talk about having nothing to work with. Please God let the Bears get this off season right for once.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
I can't stand Eli, but I also hate The Beatles, yet I can acknowledge that they are the most important pop music band ever. I think RonC summed it up very nicely in the original post. I do disagree with Ron somewhat on his claim that the Colts sucked when Manning was at the helm. They did suck for a time...but the teams that he piloted to the championship and successful playoff journeys did not suck. Bob Sanders, Freeney, Harrison, great O line, and many others, etc...

You were pretty much spot-on with your analysis though, Ron. I just think the Colts were a great team for several years under Manning.
my main point is that if you compared the 3 teams without regarding the quarterback, the Colts come in last. There is no doubt that even without Brady, the Pats had the better all around team for the past 10 years. I would also say that during the Eli era, the Giants have had the better team. And while Manning had a real good team for perhaps 3 of his years, I think that he elevated the talent around him for more than Brady or Manning had too.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Sure this is biased and off topic, but put any of them..lets throw in Rogers and Brees as well..under center for the Bears and do they make more of a difference than Cutler? Dude gets alot of heat, but seriously..talk about having nothing to work with. Please God let the Bears get this off season right for once.
I've always been a fair-weather Bears fan (born in DeKalb, Ill.) and I agree with you. They can't seem to get over the hump, no matter what...If I were an NFL player, I'd want to be a Bear :)

I think the '85 Bears were the best team ever. I loved that crew..

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Id have to humbly disagree.....just take a look at the receivers brady has had to work with. I can only think of Moss right now as an elite receiver that he's had. Welker was dumped and Brady has made him a top receiver, Branch thought he was elite left - sucked came back and is decent again. Payton has always had a top receiving core to work with and Eli to me has gotten pretty fortunate in his 2 sb's. First gift with the stickum on Tyrees helmet, then this year id give him marginally more credit, but overall Eli is pretty inconsistant. He even admited this year the touchdown that almost hit mayo in the head he didn't see him there. dude led the league in int's last year. I have to see more from him.

Brady
Payton
Eli
my response is there is more to a team than just recievers. I think the Pats have had a huge edge in the overall "Team" as compared to the colts.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
my main point is that if you compared the 3 teams without regarding the quarterback, the Colts come in last. There is no doubt that even without Brady, the Pats had the better all around team for the past 10 years. I would also say that during the Eli era, the Giants have had the better team. And while Manning had a real good team for perhaps 3 of his years, I think that he elevated the talent around him for more than Brady or Manning had too.
I'll buy it. Peyton Manning is/was a field general like no other.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Very debatable... The Colts have had 2 Defensive MVP candidates Bob Sanders (won it in 2007) and Dwight Freeney. They've had a decent O-line anchored by Jeff Saturday, excellent WR's in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, great RB play from Edgerrin James etc. Manning, Harrison and James were the top 1-2-3 combo in the entire league for multiple years. It's only been the last couple years where their "team" hasn't been that great...

The Pats never had a great RB in Brady's tenure, they didn't have a great WR in Brady's Super Bowls... Moss/Welker was after. They were known for their no-named defense for their Super Bowl days, although their LB's and Seymour became pretty damn good/known.

I personally think Brady is the tops of the ones being discussed. Peyton is by far the best pure QB mechanically/intellectually speaking, but I give weight to the intangibles and knack for winning that Brady has that Manning doesn't. Manning is great at game planning and knowing what needs to be done, but he just never had that extra intangible that Brady has.

And no, I'm not a Pats fan... LOL

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Very debatable... The Colts have had 2 Defensive MVP candidates Bob Sanders (won it in 2007) and Dwight Freeney. They've had a decent O-line anchored by Jeff Saturday, excellent WR's in Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne, great RB play from Edgerrin James etc. Manning, Harrison and James were the top 1-2-3 combo in the entire league for multiple years. It's only been the last couple years where their "team" hasn't been that great...

The Pats never had a great RB in Brady's tenure, they didn't have a great WR in Brady's Super Bowls... Moss/Welker was after. They were known for their no-named defense for their Super Bowl days, although their LB's and Seymour became pretty damn good/known.

I personally think Brady is the tops of the ones being discussed. Peyton is by far the best pure QB mechanically/intellectually speaking, but I give weight to the intangibles and knack for winning that Brady has that Manning doesn't. Manning is great at game planning and knowing what needs to be done, but he just never had that extra intangible that Brady has.

Good points, no doubt. Damn, I never thought I'd spend so much time pondering this one...:)

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I love when people say that Eli has been lucky in his Superbowl wins....come on get real.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

iCraig

Cigars, hockey, and beer.
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
I love when people say that Eli has been lucky in his Superbowl wins....come on get real.

Really? You don't think they got a bit lucky this year? A few badly dropped passes go the other way and that game has a different outcome. Pats were also without a 100% Gronkowski, so that's one major threat gone due to bad luck on a tackle.

They were 9 and 7 in the regular season and couldn't beat some of the worse teams in the league. But, no, not lucky I guess.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Really? You don't think they got a bit lucky this year? A few badly dropped passes go the other way and that game has a different outcome. Pats were also without a 100% Gronkowski, so that's one major threat gone due to bad luck on a tackle.

They were 9 and 7 in the regular season and couldn't beat some of the worse teams in the league. But, no, not lucky I guess.
Yet they beat the teams they needed to beat when it counted. Please, move on....yes 9-7 mediocre I agree. 4-0 when it mattered.

crispy_monkey

REZ PLZ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luck?..These are supposed to be pros. The only Luck in the NFL will be drafted by Indy..which looking at the topic is a bit ironic. In all honestly though...teams do get lucky at times but..injuries? yeah they happen..the Giants lost a lot of their secondary early..heck Blackburn originally was cut, but then saves the day on that INT..the Bears lost Cutler when it looked like things were starting to click...stuff happens like that. The drops? Hey dropped passes are part of the game..its not because they were unlucky or God hates them and wants the other team to win its because they didn't do their job.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0

Yep, I guess the fact that time of possession was 66%-33% does not matter. The G-Men completely outplayed, out coached and out worked. Not to mention the Pats didn't have the defensive play calls.

And I am definitely NOT a Pats fan in case you can't tell!

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0

simply put, having an awesome passer like Manning really opens up the running game. can make a mediocre running back look like an all star. and a passer like manning can make good receivers great, and great receivers into Hall of Famers.

Last edited:
Rating - 95.7%
24   1   0
Peyton and Brady are legendary QB's and will go down as two of the GOAT's in the game.

Eli is not really even close to their level yet. The regular season does count, and Eli Supporters seem to ignore this. Eli has had 1 very good regular season in his career and the rest have been pretty meh, with one being pretty awful.

If Eli can get 4-5 more regular seasons like the one he just had, then we can have the conversation. But right now, he is a distant third.