What's new

Who carrys a 1911 daily?

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm trying to decide between the 3'' or 4'' Kimber models. It will be my daily concealed carry (using a Crossbreed Supertuck). The 3'' will be a little lighter but I also want to have lots of time on the range so the 4'' will be better for target (plus I can get the .22LR conversion kit).

I pay close attention to what I wear and that includes all fitted (not tight) clothing. For work and after work I am in dress slacks and a button down A LOT - other than that it's a pair of designer-ish jeans and a t-shirt/polo of some sort (no baggy cargos or loose jeans).

Once I start carrying I can have my clothing altered a bit to accomidate the IWB holster, but I'm more concerned if I opt for the preferred 4'' model I'll regret it. Thoughts?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wish I could give you more feedback. I thought long and hard on this and went with the 4". That being said, I haven't gotten around to picking up a holster or getting my CCW just yet (lazy as hell, plus the wife's not big on me carrying constantly). I figured the extra inch really didn't matter. Also, I you might focus more on Pro vs Compact rather than focusing on the length. Plenty of folks carry full sized concealed, so it can be done. The Compacts have a shorter grip though, which is where you really have issues with concealment. Since you are looking at the Crossbreed, I wouldn't really worry. No one's going to be seeing that pistol regardless of which one you choose.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Also, I you might focus more on Pro vs Compact rather than focusing on the length. Plenty of folks carry full sized concealed, so it can be done. The Compacts have a shorter grip though, which is where you really have issues with concealment.
Great info Jason

I have the Kimber 4" Pro Carry and it is fine for conceal carry....I also thought hard about the 3" and am glad I went with the 4"
Since you carry the 4'' model, is there any chance at getting away with ankle carry? I'm sure there will be times when I can't work the crossbreed into what I'm wearing so I'm trying to think of a backup holster option.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Since you carry the 4'' model, is there any chance at getting away with ankle carry? I'm sure there will be times when I can't work the crossbreed into what I'm wearing so I'm trying to think of a backup holster option.
I'll let Mike answer for himself, but I would be surprised if that was a possibility. It's not a huge hunk of metal, but it's still a sizeable pistol. Obviously your clothes and body build would determine, but I would say the most fit part of my body is my lower leg (lol) and I'm pretty darn sure I couldn't pull it off.

i do. para-ord p-14 limited
You carry ankle carry? Just clarifying, if so, then I guess my guess is wrong. lol.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the military moved me to Germany, I carried almost daily a Compact CDP in a Milt Sparks VersaMax 2 holster. The Compact has the 4" barrel. I've never had any issues with the length of the barrel - hat is more likely to print or show is the grip of your weapon.

The VersaMax 2 looks similar in shape to the SuperTuck. For me, the VM2 is a very comfortable holster, extremely well made. I'd buy one again, but I probably will never have to as Milt Sparks makes an awesome holster (handmade in Boise, ID).

The Compact CDP does have a pretty decent kick with the 4" barrel. So for the sake of practicing, the extra inch is definitely worth it. With an IWB holster, it won't make a difference as far as showing. It's the grip you have to worry about.

Definitely get the .22 conversion kit! I have it, and it's an awesome accessory to the weapon. It will save you money in the long run, and the mechanics of shooting is what's really important to practice. Mine is surprisingly accurate, and fun to shoot.

Stay safe, stay armed, don't move to Germany. Although they're ashamed of Hitler, they seem to agree with his idea of an unarmed populace...

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
My CC is a Ultra-Carry 2 .45. I love it, but I don't carry daily.

It definitely can protrude if you're wearing semi-close fitting clothing. If it's that much of a concern, go with a Sig pocket gun.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to get away with that is if you are morbidly obese and have ankles the size of fire hydrants.

I can't think of any time my IWB holster didn't work. You just need to get over being self-conscious of the bulge.

Do you live in an open carry state? If so, I wouldn't worry much about accidentally showing. Sure, some old biddy might freak out, but if open carry is legal, you can't get in trouble if your shirt rides up over the grip or something.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
The only way to get away with that is if you are morbidly obese and have ankles the size of fire hydrants.

I can't think of any time my IWB holster didn't work. You just need to get over being self-conscious of the bulge.

Do you live in an open carry state? If so, I wouldn't worry much about accidentally showing. Sure, some old biddy might freak out, but if open carry is legal, you can't get in trouble if your shirt rides up over the grip or something.
Yup open carry is allowed just about everywhere so printing/showing shouldn't be a huge concern except causing problems with some of my left-winged friends

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carry a Kimber Custom CDP II everyday, its a full size gun but then again its in my on duty holster LOL. One thing for sure is you can not go wrong with a Kimber. I have carried the 3 in off duty and loved it but I also have my full size to take to the range when I just want to practice. The best beat seems to me to be the Kimber Compact CDP II. It has the 4 in barrel with the short grip of the Ultra. Like said above the grip is what you need to worry about showing, so that combo would work great for your needs. Also the CDP has the meltdown edges, all the edges on the gun is rounded off for concealed carry.

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I carry a Les Baer Concept VIII almost all the time, I personally don't trust Kimber for life and death...owned plenty of them.

You may want to look into the bobtailing of the mag-wel if your worried about clothes catching

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
I like to carry my Colt Defender but not during the summer time. combat accurate, Lightweight, .45acp stopping power and fairly easy to conceal. I'd recomend them if you are in the market for a 3'' 1911.

The Colt Defender may be getting retired, as I'm starting to like Glocks more and more though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I carry a Les Baer Concept VIII almost all the time, I personally don't trust Kimber for life and death...owned plenty of them.

You may want to look into the bobtailing of the mag-wel if your worried about clothes catching
I have shot a Les Baer before and it was a great gun, probaly a little pricy for most. If I ever had a gun that I didn't trust for life and death I would have only owned one of them not plenty of them. Guess maybe you have a gun shop or deal in them, legally of course. Added that because it just sounds bad, dealing in guns LOL.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You carry ankle carry? Just clarifying, if so, then I guess my guess is wrong. lol.[/QUOTE]

no, small of my back, ccw permit para is skinnier than my h&k usp

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we want to get into a life and death reliability discussion, let's just end it here...

Wilson Combat.

Speaking of Wilson Combat, buy their magazines - don't use the one that came with the Kimber, or any 1911 for that matter. Well, okay, when I got my Kimber 10 years ago, everybody said to get the Wilson Combat mags. I don't know if Wilson Combat's quality today is what it was ten years ago, but at the time, they were the gold standard for 1911 magazines.

As far as their 1911s are concerned, don't bother looking unless you're prepared to pay at least TWICE what you would pay for a Kimber. Their CQB Compact (Compact CDP equivalent) starts at $2,575. As I understand (from ten years ago), all the parts that go into their weapons are milled from single billets of steel, not molded. (yes, metal parts can be machine molded) So far less chance that something will break in the moment of truth.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
As far as their 1911s are concerned, don't bother looking unless you're prepared to pay at least TWICE what you would pay for a Kimber.
:popeyes::popeyes::popeyes:

I am planning on keeping everything uner $1,200. Tell you what, I'll give you my fiancee's number and you get to explain to her why I need to spend that much on a single gun. :grin:

EDIT: Before calling her, could you update your will stating I get all your cigars in the event of an accident?