What's new

Who carrys a 1911 daily?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If we want to get into a life and death reliability discussion, let's just end it here...

Wilson Combat.

Speaking of Wilson Combat, buy their magazines - don't use the one that came with the Kimber, or any 1911 for that matter. Well, okay, when I got my Kimber 10 years ago, everybody said to get the Wilson Combat mags. I don't know if Wilson Combat's quality today is what it was ten years ago, but at the time, they were the gold standard for 1911 magazines.

As far as their 1911s are concerned, don't bother looking unless you're prepared to pay at least TWICE what you would pay for a Kimber. Their CQB Compact (Compact CDP equivalent) starts at $2,575. As I understand (from ten years ago), all the parts that go into their weapons are milled from single billets of steel, not molded. (yes, metal parts can be machine molded) So far less chance that something will break in the moment of truth.
I use Wilson Combat magazines in my gun. But I will add when at the range I also carry the ones that came with the Kimber and have never had any problems with them.

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I hate Kimber as well. les baer!!! That's impressive. Do they live up to the hype?
yep!

I have shot a Les Baer before and it was a great gun, probaly a little pricy for most. If I ever had a gun that I didn't trust for life and death I would have only owned one of them not plenty of them. Guess maybe you have a gun shop or deal in them, legally of course. Added that because it just sounds bad, dealing in guns LOL.
nope, not a dealer or shop owner.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I'm surprised to see there are some that wouldn't trust Kimber. I know there is a break-in period but I imagine you all shot them more than enough to get passed that. What kind of problems did you encounter?

TommyGunz

BoM June 2011
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
I'm surprised to see there are some that wouldn't trust Kimber. I know there is a break-in period but I imagine you all shot them more than enough to get passed that. What kind of problems did you encounter?
FTF, nose-dive's, stove pipes, erratic ejection straight over the top into the face, non-complete loading.

I put over 2K rounds through the kimbers I owned and it was not the debate between internal and external extractors...they were just lemons. Every time it was verified and all handguns were taken back by Kimber with replication of the issues. After 3 in a row, I wrote them off. I know plenty of people who love theirs, just not for me. I won't carry a gun until I have put over 500 rounds through it with various ammo, making sure that it will eat all of it. (and yes, I have over 50 magazines and I alternate them to make sure it is not that issue)

I usually don't get into discussions about weapons online due to so many people being passionate about what they own. So, I will just throw out there a few that I have learned to trust and have proven to me to be reliable every time in the 1911 frame.

Les Baer
Ed Brown
Sig Sauer
Wilson Combat

Best of luck,

TG

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
FTF, nose-dive's, stove pipes, erratic ejection straight over the top into the face, non-complete loading.

I put over 2K rounds through the kimbers I owned and it was not the debate between internal and external extractors...they were just lemons. Every time it was verified and all handguns were taken back by Kimber with replication of the issues. After 3 in a row, I wrote them off. I know plenty of people who love theirs, just not for me. I won't carry a gun until I have put over 500 rounds through it with various ammo, making sure that it will eat all of it. (and yes, I have over 50 magazines and I alternate them to make sure it is not that issue)

I usually don't get into discussions about weapons online due to so many people being passionate about what they own. So, I will just throw out there a few that I have learned to trust and have proven to me to be reliable every time in the 1911 frame.

Les Baer
Ed Brown
Sig Sauer
Wilson Combat

Best of luck,

TG
Good info here. I know what you mean about staying out of online discussions involving firearms. People tend to get very defensive and attack the owners of "not doing it right." Sounds like you've put quite a bit of extensive through your 1911s so I trust your judgement. Hopefully I won't encounter the same. My only personal experience with Kimbers is through my sister's full sized 1911 but it is a DREAM to shoot.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I'll let Mike answer for himself, but I would be surprised if that was a possibility. It's not a huge hunk of metal, but it's still a sizeable pistol. Obviously your clothes and body build would determine, but I would say the most fit part of my body is my lower leg (lol) and I'm pretty darn sure I couldn't pull it off.

You carry ankle carry? Just clarifying, if so, then I guess my guess is wrong. lol.
No way on the ankle carry. I usually only carry the Kimber 1911 during winter and cooler weather so I can conceal it better. During warm weather I carry the Sig P238 .380

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I carried a S&W Government model 1911 summer and winter for awhile in a crossbreed. I never had an issue. Of course, I am a more....generously sized individual :rofl: