What's new

Who has been into pipes lately?

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
I will kick this thread off...

I have been enjoying some VA flakes such as Gawith Full VA flake, Best brown as well as GLPs Jack knife plug out of my Mastro de Paja bent brandy. Let's not forget the Golden Sliced and the Bulls eye flake.

I have also been enjoying some of my favored English blends such as Penzance, 965, Chelsea Morning and Squadron Leader out of my Barling Canadian.

WhiteWolfIndulgence

Prince Sascha
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Out of my Savinelli Duca Carlo, C@D's Star of the East, And So To Bed, Chelsea Morning, Captain Earle's Nightwatch.

Been experimenting with some cavendish, black and gold in another full bend Italian pipe but I'm not a huge fan. Have some aromatics I go through occasionally but I prefer English.

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I've been seriously considering pipe smoking but haven't a clue where to start. Hell I wouldn't even know where to buy the pipes or tobacco! Time to start reading older posts here.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I've been smoking Tudor Castle, Hamborger Veermaster, St James Flake, FVF, HoTW & absolutely loving Solani Silver Flake - smoke these through a dark rusticated Savinelli (I think it's a 606).

I usually use my Winslow for Latakia blends one of my favorites is Mac Baren Vintage Syrian, but I love GLP Odessey, Nightcap (Very similar to the HH, but not quite as good IMO), Balkan Sobranie SM, Penzance, GLP Abingdon...

I've also been enjoying Stonehaven, and Burley Flake on occasion.

I currently use only 3-4 pipes out of the 9 or so that I have. Been dreaming about picking up a Ser Jacapo, Castello, Mark Tinsky or maybe even an Ardor for late night book reading...

:thumbsup:

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Funny I haven't had the urge to pick up any of my pipes this year. When I do it is usually some VaPer or Stonehaven. I just got a tin of Royal Yacht in that I am wanting to try.

diesel

Banned
Rating - 91.9%
78   5   1
I haven't had anything more than 1 bowl of Stonehaven. Been searching it down for a while. I have had the chance to nab some of other very good blends in my early venture with pipes. I came across a mint of Penzance too!

Did you guys try any GLP Jack Knife plug?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had anything more than 1 bowl of Stonehaven. Been searching it down for a while. I have had the chance to nab some of other very good blends in my early venture with pipes. I came across a mint of Penzance too!

Did you guys try any GLP Jack Knife plug?
The jack knife plug was great. Very meaty/ketchupy tobacco flavor.

Fia

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have been into pipes for about 10 years. What I like to smoke depends on my mood. Sometimes quality aromatics in my meers. English blends in my briars mostly in the cooler months (even in Hawaii we have those :halfgrinw). If not those, then some type of burley blends. I prefer Italian briars such as Ardor, Rinaldo, Radice, etc.

Havent been smoking my pipes much lately. Just busy with cigars but I have been wanting to pick them up again.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I love pipes. I love the taste, the smell, the idea of collecting pipes. Unfortunately, I just can't seem to really get into them because I'm so young. People give you odd looks when you smoke a pipe. Cigars I tend to smoke at bars with outdoor seating or out on my pool patio deck at my apartment complex. These places aren't ideal for a relaxing pipe smoke.

However, down the road when we buy a house I will be sure to install a smoking room (or at a minimum have a private deck) and I will certainly be able to get into the hobby full force without having to constantly explain myself to others

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been a pipe smoker for about 13 years or so. Recently my go-to 'baccy has been coming from my collection of Iwan Ries stuff - Dr. Bradley, Bald Headed Teacher, International and a few others. If you haven't given Iwan Ries a shot yet you might want to, they put out some really tasty blends. Love my McClellands VA blends but haven't been smoking them recently for some reason. Just ran out of one of my favorites - Hoggarth & Gawith Rum Plug. Great smoke, I need more soon. As a matter of fact, I've let my Lake District supply dwindle to almost nothing. Gotta do something about that.

I've got a fair sized collection of pipes to choose from but lately I seem to be either smoking my Tinsky, Boswell or one of my Stanwell's. I'm only smoking a few bowls a week these days so they get plenty of rest.

Hmmm...a bowl of the good Dr. sounds pretty good right now, come to think of it....

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I get to work about five feet from Russ Ouellette, Blender of the Hearth & Home. I get to smoke all his new blends. I've really liked his Sweet & Savory and Magnum Opus blends. I'm still relatively new to pipes as I am a cigar guy, but its nice to have someone who can tweak a blend to your specifications sitting right next to you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get to work about five feet from Russ Ouellette, Blender of the Hearth & Home. I get to smoke all his new blends. I've really liked his Sweet & Savory and Magnum Opus blends. I'm still relatively new to pipes as I am a cigar guy, but its nice to have someone who can tweak a blend to your specifications sitting right next to you.
That' pretty cool. I've had a few of his blends, I think my favorite was Louisana Red. Still have some Anniversary Kake which smells great but I just can't seem to find any flavor in. I stopped into the store with a buddy a few years ago, nice joint.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
The Anny kake is the best seller. Its definitely a smooth smoke. Some people do find it to be a bit bland. When I smoke it, I get a hint of cocoa. I know he doesn't add any cocoa to it, its just what I taste.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I like the H&H stuff - very cool that you work with Russ - I've been meaning to explore more of his stuff - I hope to stop in up there sometime!

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I've been smoking a pipe for about a year now. The different flavors are amazing, sometimes I blend them up with various other brands. I collected about eight pipes to date, but since it's starting to heat up Im going to retire mine until fall season.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I like the H&H stuff - very cool that you work with Russ - I've been meaning to explore more of his stuff - I hope to stop in up there sometime!
If you come in during the week we are always here. Don't work on the weekends though. If anybody does want to come in, let me know I can show you around the operation.

BTW if you like lakeland style tobaccos, Russ has created the Lakeland Brickle. Its a 8 oz pressed slab of tobacco. Its light and flowery. Its gotten some great reviews.