What's new

Who's Looking to Try Double Edge Razors?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've tried a couple shave creams including sensitive skin ones, nothing really seemed to change. I'll start working my way down the list and see what works. Thanks for the info!
And if that don't work, try a DE.i know a lot of guys that had the same problem as you and now don't simply by switching to a DE.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Serious shaving guys, I have a question for you. I'm bearded so I don't need to cover a lot a ground when shaving, or shave daily. I have always had this issue with redness and occasional ingrown hairs on my neck where I shave. I don't do anything but shave with a cartridge razor and shave gel and have never used anything else. Is there a lotion or aftershave or something that would help with the irritation so my neck doesn't get the redness?
Good suggestions already, another question for you. With the cartridge, how many blades? One of the easiest ways to reduce irritation is to reduce the number blades on the cart. Each swipe over the skin increases the risk of irritation. If the cart has, let's say 3 blades, one swipe of the razor is 3 swipes of blade. Hit the same patch of skin twice with the razor, that's now 6 passes of the blade. I think you get the idea there. To add to the folly of multiple blades, ingrown hair is the reasult of the hair shaft growing back under the skin. If the old marketing of "lift and cut" was accurate, which it wasn't, multi-blade cartridges guarantee ingrowns. As mentioned before, the "easiest" way to avoid irritation and ingrown hair is by switching to double edge or single edge safety razors. There is a learning curve involved, mostly due to the fact that modern cartridge razors have a hinge to negate any ill-effects of holding the handle at a less than ideal cutting angle to the face. With safety razors, you have to maintain the angle yourself.
So as far as hardware is concerned, look to reduce the number of blades you're using and you should see results. Replace your blades often as well. Nothing causes the face as much havoc as old dull blades.
On the software side, don't skimp on quality products. Also, don't be afraid to try new things. What works well for one guy can cause nasty reactions on another. Some guys report great irritation and ingrown hair reduction if using an exfoliating product before shaving, think of it like starting with a rougher sandpaper and working down to a smooth finish. A shave brush to work in the lather works well for that, even if you don't have products that are made to use one. I think most Target stores still carry a very nice entry level brush by Van Der Hagen. Of course Amazon has tons to choose from, and there are several very nice wet shaving specific sites with all kinds of top notch products.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
@Wasz - @Mr. Guy nailed it.

My ingrown hairs were eliminated when I switched to a DE (double edged safety razor) precisely because one swipe with the razor was just that - a single swipe.

Technique is important. Do you shave before or after you shower? I always recommend afterward, as the hot water will help soften the whiskers as well as hydrate your skin. And, a top-quality shave cream or soap will help, too. Those gels are atrocious. I find they dry my skin out.

Here's my process for wet shaving. I'll admit, it's a long process but, for me, the real enjoyment in shaving is the ritual involved (same reason I love lighting cigars and pipes):
  • Fill my shaving bowl with hot tap water and then submerse both my blade and my brush in water
  • Shower
  • As soon as I get out of the shower, I apply a pre-shave oil. BTW, not everyone likes a pre-shave oil but pretty much everyone agrees that, if you have never used one, at least give some a try. A lot of pre-shave oils can also double as a leave-in beard conditioner.
  • Pour the water out of the shaving bowl and shake the brush dry
  • Add a bit of shaving cream to the bottom of the bowl (amount depends on type/concentration of cream) and about a tablespoon of water. I use a puck of shaving soap from Catie's Bubbles, so this is a bit different from how I add soap to my bowl.
  • Use the brush to whip the cream into a good lather
  • Lather my face up, and make my first pass with the razor, shaving with the grain.
  • Once done, re-lather my face and make the second pass, shaving against the grain.
  • Wipe my face clean and immediately splash on my Clubman Pineaud aftershave tonic (it's an astringent and will help clean your skin as well as sanitize any tiny nicks). If there is a small nick (very, very rare), I use an alum block on it.
  • Now I clean up my shaving kit, put it away, wipe down the counter, etc. This gives my face a minute or two of rest.
  • FInally, I apply a non-scented aftershave balm (Men+ line from Dove) to remoisturize my face.

I have a goatee so I don't need to shave my entire face, either. But it's not the amount of real estate that matters, but rather the quality of the shave and being satisfied with the results. So don't think that there's no reason to get quality products but, rather, rejoice in the fact that they will last longer for you than they will for us!

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
...A shave brush to work in the lather works well for that, even if you don't have products that are made to use one. I think most Target stores still carry a very nice entry level brush by Van Der Hagen. Of course Amazon has tons to choose from, and there are several very nice wet shaving specific sites with all kinds of top notch products.
Of course, should you need help spending your money, let us know! :angelic:

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
@Wasz - @Mr. Guy nailed it.

My ingrown hairs were eliminated when I switched to a DE (double edged safety razor) precisely because one swipe with the razor was just that - a single swipe.

Technique is important. Do you shave before or after you shower? I always recommend afterward, as the hot water will help soften the whiskers as well as hydrate your skin. And, a top-quality shave cream or soap will help, too. Those gels are atrocious. I find they dry my skin out.

Here's my process for wet shaving. I'll admit, it's a long process but, for me, the real enjoyment in shaving is the ritual involved (same reason I love lighting cigars and pipes):
  • Fill my shaving bowl with hot tap water and then submerse both my blade and my brush in water
  • Shower
  • As soon as I get out of the shower, I apply a pre-shave oil. BTW, not everyone likes a pre-shave oil but pretty much everyone agrees that, if you have never used one, at least give some a try. A lot of pre-shave oils can also double as a leave-in beard conditioner.
  • Pour the water out of the shaving bowl and shake the brush dry
  • Add a bit of shaving cream to the bottom of the bowl (amount depends on type/concentration of cream) and about a tablespoon of water. I use a puck of shaving soap from Catie's Bubbles, so this is a bit different from how I add soap to my bowl.
  • Use the brush to whip the cream into a good lather
  • Lather my face up, and make my first pass with the razor, shaving with the grain.
  • Once done, re-lather my face and make the second pass, shaving against the grain.
  • Wipe my face clean and immediately splash on my Clubman Pineaud aftershave tonic (it's an astringent and will help clean your skin as well as sanitize any tiny nicks). If there is a small nick (very, very rare), I use an alum block on it.
  • Now I clean up my shaving kit, put it away, wipe down the counter, etc. This gives my face a minute or two of rest.
  • FInally, I apply a non-scented aftershave balm (Men+ line from Dove) to remoisturize my face.

I have a goatee so I don't need to shave my entire face, either. But it's not the amount of real estate that matters, but rather the quality of the shave and being satisfied with the results. So don't think that there's no reason to get quality products but, rather, rejoice in the fact that they will last longer for you than they will for us!
Pretty much my routine minus the pre shave oil and the final aftershave balm. Been working good for me for many years.