What's new

Who's Looking to Try Double Edge Razors?

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Used to shave everyday....but with all the prep and lotions and razors and time spent...I just grew my beard and now I use a Beard and Mustache Trimmer....saves me at least a few hours a month to do things I really like doing...sleeping and smoking cigars.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I use a '66 Gillette Super Speed with Derby Extra razors. Shave soap is Mama Bears, http://mamabearssoaps.com/.
Like @ChuckMejia said, I also get up a little earlier every day to shave. But, it is worth it and I will never go back to disposables either.
I made the switch from Derby Extra to Feather blades a couple of months ago. I like the feather blades better. Sharper and a one pass cut. I'm getting less razor burn.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I made the switch from Derby Extra to Feather blades a couple of months ago. I like the feather blades better. Sharper and a one pass cut. I'm getting less razor burn.
I've heard this from several people. I'm definitely picking up Feather blades next time!
I have very sensitive skin and have yet to find a cartridge razor that really fits the bill. Do DE razors cause less irritation?
There's a learning curve,but after you pass that you will see less irritation. A good aftershave (Clubmans for me) helps as well. Good luck!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I have a full beard but I keep it trimmed and shaped. I use a badger brush, shaving soap or cream and old Gillette razors dating back to 1910. Occasionally I will use an old Shick injector as well. I love the results and have been doing this a very long time. Favorite soap is Mama Bears Hydrogen and Old Taylor Sandalwood. Favorite cream is T&H Almond and Rose and Castle Forbes Essential Lime Oil. Finished off with either Clubman, Old Spice or Aqua Velva aftershave it's the perfect way to start the morning.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
I've heard this from several people. I'm definitely picking up Feather blades next time!

There's a learning curve,but after you pass that you will see less irritation. A good aftershave (Clubmans for me) helps as well. Good luck!
A good preshave oil helps, too... lubed up skin burns less after you rub it.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I have very sensitive skin and have yet to find a cartridge razor that really fits the bill. Do DE razors cause less irritation?
Absolutely. Because I have to shave everyday for work my skin was getting really irritated if I wasn't using a new cartridge too often and that was costing a small fortune.
Switching to a DE was the best thing I ever did, less irritation, a closer shave, cheaper and now that I've got it down to a fine art it doesn't actually take any longer with a brush and cream than it did with foam and a cartridge.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
For me there is less irritation because you can get a close shave with one pass. I never got that with a cartridge.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Been DE shaving since November 2013. Every other day.

Settled on a 70's adjustable black beauty and feather blades. When I travel for work (5-10 times a year) I bring a disposable, and every single time I wonder how I shaved like that for years.

I'll never go back to cartridge shaving again.

Oh and Floid Blue aftershave. So. Friggin. Good. True it's 50 a bottle, but I've had it 2 years now (it'll probably last 2.5 years). Don't let the price scare you, it's a LOT of aftershave.

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
What shaving soap/cream do folks use?
I get my best shave with this Triumph & Disaster stuff, less irritation and doesn't clog the razor but it's £18 for 90ml which is extortionate.
I've been trying some Proraso stuff recently and it's a lot cheaper but it clogs quite badly.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What shaving soap/cream do folks use?
I get my best shave with this Triumph & Disaster stuff, less irritation and doesn't clog the razor but it's £18 for 90ml which is extortionate.
I've been trying some Proraso stuff recently and it's a lot cheaper but it clogs quite badly.
Try Barrister & Mann. Awesome stuff, cheap, SUPER EASY to lather.

Stirling shave soap is also a favorite of mine!

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0
I was one of those kids with a mustache since elementary school and a beard early in high school. I grew my first beard at 14 because I hated shaving. My best friend's father was the last straight razor barber in my hometown, and out of that, I was always curious about straight razors. At 20, I asked him to set me up with a straight razor. I still wear a beard, but shave my neck, and trim along my cheeks, and only shave 2 or 3 times a week. So I've been using a straight razor for 35 years, or so. I've tried other options a few times, but they all caused more pimples and ingrown hairs than a straight razor. My younger son inherited my beard, maybe even heavier. He knew my experiences, and eventually came to me to inquire about a straight razor. I recommended he try a DE first. He's been using one for a couple years now, with very good results. In addition, truth be told, it's more fun.
On an interesting side-note, in my younger days, upon learning that I was proficient with a straight razor, I've had more than one adventurous young lady ask me to shave them with it! (And I'm not talking mustache.) I never charged a fee, but a generous tip always seemed to follow.
The generous 'tip' part made me chuckle. Thanks for the laugh brother.

I started shaving with a DE this year and I friggin love it. I like a wee bit of stubble on off days and can get away with it at work so I only have to shave twice a week, but like others have said it is a nice relaxing ritual more so than a hateful chore like it was with cartridges.

I like the Jack Black beard lube as a preshave. Not sure if I'm using for the proper application, but find that I like it better than the Blue Proraso I was using before. Also, not a fan of pre lube oil.

I'm not as fussy with soaps/creams and enjoy the Taylor Old Street, Proraso Green (because it cools) and Art of Shaving Sandlewood.

I also am not a fan of splash aftershaves and found that the Proraso Blue is ok, but really enjoy the Grooming Lounge cream I've been using.

Tried a variety pack of blades when I first started and landed on the Persona Hospital Grade. Not sure if it's the same as the Israeli's that Sean mentioned, but I tried regular Persona Blue (IIRC) and wasn't a fan. I thought the Feathers were good too when I started, but really got a good feel for the Persona. Might have to revisit the Feather as I was still 'newbish' when I tried them.

For technique, I never really found much info on that. I've settled on a downward first pass which gets 97.3% of everything, relather and an upward pass for the final 2.7%. My face rivals a newborn's ass twice a week now. Couldn't be happier..!

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I do a three pass. First with the grain, second across, and finally a third against the grain. All are done with no pressure. The most important thing with a DE razor is technique.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I received a SFR last night from Mr. Guy. Inside was a Gillette handle and head with a nice variety of razors. I'll try to get a pic up this evening. Right now I have to get ready to go work overtime.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I remember years ago in a college class talking about how Mr. Gillette was a pioneer in the concept of "loss leader". That is, selling something at a loss so you can hook a customer forever on a consumable to make a profit.

I've been shaving with a straight razor ever since.

That sucker has paid for itself a couple times over through the years I bet.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I fell down the wet shaving rabbit hole a couple years ago, and amassed a collection of about 50 or so DE/SE/Injectors and about 15 Straights. Along with approximately 50 soaps/creams and 7 brushes and 20 or so aftershaves. in the last few months I've relaxed on my acquisition disorders and haven't bought any new shaving gear. Well, truth be told I just started buying cigars and whisky instead. lol

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Been shaving with a DE (old gillette from the 30s ish) or straight razor for about 10 years now, using cartridges now is just not good enough. Like soaps from straight razor designs and Pre De Provence mostly.