What's new

Why a new cutter?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does a particular method of cutting matter for cigars? And is that why particular cutters are better than others?

I have been using an old cutter that was issued to me from a cigar store without charge. Not wanting to spend money on a cutter since I now had one, I never thought of buying one. But after reading some of the threads here, I want to reconsider. I just want to know the exact reason why some cutters are better.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
The sharper the cutter, the cleaner the cut. No one likes a ragged cut that leaves tobacco flying around and/or getting in your enjoyment of the cigar. Search the site and you will find people use, Palio, Swiss Army Knife, Xikar and others. The Palio seems to be the hands down fav with a great cut and life time warranty. The Xikar also has a lifetime warranty and can be used with one hand. The point to focus on is sharpness and double blade. Cutting should be doe quickly. DOnt be hesitant. Cut that sucker. if you go slow, you will most like get a poor or ragged cut.

Types of cuts tend to be preferential. I like cutting a torpedo at a slight angle. It gives me more suface area but still a reasonable draw surface. When I cut a standard cigar I cut as little as possible to get the draw. 1/8 of an inch usually does it. My 2 cents.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
The sharper the cutter, the cleaner the cut. No one likes a ragged cut that leaves tobacco flying around and/or getting in your enjoyment of the cigar. Search the site and you will find people use, Palio, Swiss Army Knife, Xikar and others. The Palio seems to be the hands down fav with a great cut and life time warranty. The Xikar also has a lifetime warranty and can be used with one hand. The point to focus on is sharpness and double blade. Cutting should be doe quickly. DOnt be hesitant. Cut that sucker. if you go slow, you will most like get a poor or ragged cut.

Types of cuts tend to be preferential. I like cutting a torpedo at a slight angle. It gives me more suface area but still a reasonable draw surface. When I cut a standard cigar I cut as little as possible to get the draw. 1/8 of an inch usually does it. My 2 cents.
More like a nickel and worth every penny!!:hysterica Good advice Chuck!

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Because you get more "cool" points!

Seriously though they offer you a much better cut than any cheap cutter will.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I love my SAK, it gives a great cut. Not many things drive me crazy than a bad cut on a cigar and spitting out bits and pieces for awhile afterward. :argh:

JRL

Formerly known as Jeeper
Rating - 100%
81   0   0
I have a Xikar and i love it. Gives me a nice clean cut everytime and hey it looks good too.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
ive used a xikar and love it! although for 9 out of 10 smokes i have a dbl blade guiliotine that i got for 10 bucks from cuban crafters. for smaller ring gauges, i have a nifty little little notch cutter thats sharp as hell and does a decent job. for fat cigars i have a vector punch that i couldnt do without. just my .02

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
ive used a xikar and love it! although for 9 out of 10 smokes i have a dbl blade guiliotine that i got for 10 bucks from cuban crafters. for smaller ring gauges, i have a nifty little little notch cutter thats sharp as hell and does a decent job. for fat cigars i have a vector punch that i couldnt do without. just my .02
When the airlines were going crazy about cutters, I always kept a punch on my key chain. Great alternative.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
The cut is very important.

If you dont get a good cut, that end of the cigar is doomed and will be a bother while smoking the whole way through.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I'm a big fan of my Palio and the Xikar. I also use a puch cut every now and again. I used to punch more, before I had my Xikar or Palio, because it was a better cut than the cheap cutters I had.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Sharp cutter = clean cut

Without a good, clean cut, you could very easily end up with a mangled cut, diminishing the smoking experience with bits of tobacco flaking off in your mouth, or worse having the end literally unravel in your mouth.