What's new

Why would a retailer do this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Sorry but they just keep doing fd up things as a shop. Let us not forget the "firecracker"

http://www.2guyscigars.com/Firecracker-042429/

Dpg right...nope...look closer...

They had some great times and great smokes but seem to continue to lower their standards on what is acceptable more and more. The candy cigars is just disgusting and if it gets to the FDA....we will see a lot of those pics in the near future.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Great guys for sure, cant say I like what I'm seeing with this product though. The worst part is that this is not the only product that has come out recently that is a problem given how we are trying to separate ourselves from cigarettes and underage sales.

Yeah, Alec Bradley put out a candy bar cigar that looked like the Wanka bars. I think it's an event only thing, but still.

Great job on the Oktoberfest BTW, Dread.
Thank you sir, its an honor to be able to sell Oktoberfest along with the rest of the Quesada families products. They are incredible people. I actually forgot about the AB wonka bar, I was referring to other products that I wont name but clearly put us in danger of being lumped in with big tobacco. What AB does with the candy bar isnt nearly as big of a concern since it isnt actually for sale.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Sorry but they just keep doing fd up things as a shop. Let us not forget the "firecracker"

http://www.2guyscigars.com/Firecracker-042429/

Dpg right...nope...look closer...

They had some great times and great smokes but seem to continue to lower their standards on what is acceptable more and more. The candy cigars is just disgusting and if it gets to the FDA....we will see a lot of those pics in the near future.
This x2. It's bullshit really. Who In their right mind would approve this?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This for me says I am a struggling B&M that needs to do whatever it takes to make money! I'll stick to a more professional B&M. I mean there website is lame. Cartoon characters real classy.

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
When we are trying to exempt cigars from FDA control, and one of our arguments is that they are not marketed to children, why do this?

http://www.2guyscigars.com/brand/Hand-Rolled-Cigars/

or this

http://www.2guyscigars.com/brand/Smokin'-Cigar-Bars/

I know logic dictates these are not being marketed to minors as they are sold in a store where minors are not allowed. However, why give any excuse when the stakes are high as they are now? Can you imagine what this will look like to a third party who may have to vote on decision that will affect our right to buy cigars?
I agree, this is above and beyond..........

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
IIRC, when I was at one of their shops while visiting Darkman, I believe they had a cigar that was wrapped to look like a Hershey's bar, or something like that.

Poor choices when it comes to keeping cigars away from the FDA.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
This for me says I am a struggling B&M that needs to do whatever it takes to make money! I'll stick to a more professional B&M. I mean there website is lame. Cartoon characters real classy.
Making cigars look like candy? Really? if that doesn't draw the ire of the FDA and give them cause to claim that the cigars are being marketed to children I don't know what will. What's next, Hot Wheels brand cigars?

Not to mention the misspelling in the firecracker ad. "new cigars that match up to your pallet" Pallet? Really? Taste is controlled by your palate. A pallet (sometimes referred to as a "skid") is made of wood and you stack boxes on it for shipping.

I don't think that those cigars would match my pallet in the least bit.

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Making cigars look like candy? Really? if that doesn't draw the ire of the FDA and give them cause to claim that the cigars are being marketed to children I don't know what will. What's next, Hot Wheels brand cigars?

Not to mention the misspelling in the firecracker ad. "new cigars that match up to your pallet" Pallet? Really? Taste is controlled by your palate. A pallet (sometimes referred to as a "skid") is made of wood and you stack boxes on it for shipping.

I laughed. Hahahaa

King Kill 33

BoM Dec '13
Rating - 100%
367   0   0

I intentionally misspelled palate the other night in reference to my own. I laughed when I saw this Rupe! Too funny.

KK33

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
They may have the right to make them, however we have the right to speak our piece against what they are doing and inform them we will spread the word against supporting their shop until that sort of packaging is discontinued. my .02
money talks, and silence speaks volumes. this one here bares repeating.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I must be ignorant because I don't really see the issue with this. Who brings their kids to a cigar shop, or let's them browse a cigar shop's website?

That is the only place a kid will see these things other than in someone's personal humidor, in which case it is still a parenting concern, and not an issue of advertising to children.

I don't know... I understand all the BS going on out there with the FDA, and whatnot,1 but I don't see these particular products becoming a highlighted point of interest in their case against smoking.

I'm probably wrong, but as I said, I may just be ignorant to some facts that are out there. This is just how I see it right now.

What was wrong with the Firecracker cigar? Viaje's TNT, C4, and Shotgun Shells are awesome.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I must be ignorant because I don't really see the issue with this. Who brings their kids to a cigar shop, or let's them browse a cigar shop's website?
Logically you are correct. Unfortunately the FDA is about as illogical as it gets and will do whatever it takes to regulate any form of tobacco within its reach. Basically the industry needs to be doing everything in its power right now to make sure that nothing even remotely looks like it is being advertised towards minors.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0

That is the only place a kid will see these things other than in someone's personal humidor, in which case it is still a parenting concern, and not an issue of advertising to children.

I don't know... I understand all the BS going on out there with the FDA, and whatnot,1 but I don't see these particular products becoming a highlighted point of interest in their case against smoking.

I'm probably wrong, but as I said, I may just be ignorant to some facts that are out there. This is just how I see it right now.

What was wrong with the Firecracker cigar? Viaje's TNT, C4, and Shotgun Shells are awesome.
Because they can say that candy is directly marketing to children, candy cigarettes gave them huge amounts of ammunition.

KGD

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Don't get your panties all wrapped up. The republicans control the House and as long as we control one of the legislative branches or the white house, you won't see things hit the fan that poorly. It's when you get democrats in control of all branches, that shit hits the fan and the liberal wackjobs start pushing for extremities like this. Otherwise, you'll only see things go this far at a hyper-local level.

Vipes

Manimal (Manny)
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Don't get your panties all wrapped up. The republicans control the House and as long as we control one of the legislative branches or the white house, you won't see things hit the fan that poorly. It's when you get democrats in control of all branches, that shit hits the fan and the liberal wackjobs start pushing for extremities like this. Otherwise, you'll only see things go this far at a hyper-local level.
Remember Kev, you the people control nothing you only think you do

Rating - 100%
90   0   0
Its been said in this thread a bunch already, but this is ridiculous. I'm surprised these got released.

The other thing that kills me is the Ortega Mini Cigars. The packaging looks just like a pack of cigarettes. How did nobody think that was a bad idea? The industry is fighting the government and one of their key arguments is that premium handmade cigars shouldn't be treated the same as cigarettes in regard to regulations. Then someone comes out and creates a brand packaging that looks EXACTLY like a pack of cigarettes. Sometimes it seems like the industry can't get out of its own way.

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Its been said in this thread a bunch already, but this is ridiculous. I'm surprised these got released.

The other thing that kills me is the Ortega Mini Cigars. The packaging looks just like a pack of cigarettes. How did nobody think that was a bad idea? The industry is fighting the government and one of their key arguments is that premium handmade cigars shouldn't be treated the same as cigarettes in regard to regulations. Then someone comes out and creates a brand packaging that looks EXACTLY like a pack of cigarettes. Sometimes it seems like the industry can't get out of its own way.
Agreed. Also, the emergence of premium cigars in the foil and thick plastic pouches at convince and grocery stores being sold right alongside cigarettes. I know it's mainly the big two but there are a few others. Conversely, if you want to be premium, act like you want to be premium.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

Agreed. Also, the emergence of premium cigars in the foil and thick plastic pouches at convince and grocery stores being sold right alongside cigarettes. I know it's mainly the big two but there are a few others. Conversely, if you want to be premium, act like you want to be premium.
Just saw that the other day... Floored. That makes no sense.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

ATL

BoM 10/12, 9/13, & 8/14
Rating - 100%
342   0   0
Here is a link to David Garofalo's facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/david.garofalo.35

Here is the message I sent him, feel free to copy and paste it with your name if you're so inclined. He comments on the cigars on his page.

Dear Mr. Garofalo,

As a premium cigar smoker and a past customer of yours, I must tell you how disappointed I am with your decision to sell the candy themed cigars. While it is certainly your right to do so, and I defend that right, I think it is in poor taste and questionable judgement given the present situation with the FDA and premium cigars.

I thank you for all you have done for the industry and applaud your hard work but I hope you will reconsider any packaging that could potentially be used by the FDA to garner votes that would place premium cigars under their control. I know this is a major concern of yours as well. I have listened to you speak of it often on The Cigar Authority, this is why I was so surprised when I received the email highlighting these two cigars.

While I know that logic has rarely made a difference with those who want to lump all tobacco products together, I think that candy themed packaging is inappropriate and worse, ammunition for those who want to regulate our beloved hobby.

Respectfully Yours,

Status
Not open for further replies.