What's new

Wife/GF VS. Smoking

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Donk you should get her drunk sometime and then offer her a cigar. Now it could have been the fact we were in Rome, but I think it was just the wine talking, my wife was loving my cigar while we were walking home to the hotel. She even asked one. I gave her a little CC Monte Cigarillo which was a mistake because they really aren't good. She didn't like it and tossed it. I just need to get her blasted again and give her a petite cabiguan or a La Ricky N0.5. Give it a try her inhibitions may disappear.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Kelly, my wife is pretty good about my cigar smoking perhaps its because I usually smoke at the lounge and so the house never smells of cigar smoke but she is a sweet heart and buys me cigars for birthdays/valentines etc.. a few compromises need to be made my wife doesn't like smoke be it cigar/cigarettes/sheesha or BBQ so I respect that and keep my smoking out of the house which gives me time to wind down, relax and network.

Your girl might not feel as strongly about you smoking cigars as perhaps she does about the smell coming from the house may be her issues are more to do with the amount of time you spend online browsing cigar related sites/boards. Either way you need to talk to her and tell her that being an adult you are well aware of the health risks of smoking. We're not stupid its not as if we didn't know of the health risks associated with smoking we choose to do it because of our love of the habit and the joy we get out of it. If she feels most of your time is taken up by the hobby perhaps you need to dial back some of the hours you spend online at cigar sites and spend more quality time with her when home. My wife's biggest issue after marriage was the amount of time I spent online after I came home and in a way she was right.. now that I've dialed back the time spent online she's happy with the extra attention she gets and I get even more cigars as gifts.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
My wife occasionally gives me the "you stink" comment after smoking a cigar but she supports my hobby because she knows I enjoy it. She even got me a gift certificate to my local B&M last year for father's day. Surprised the shit out of me.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Kelly as you read all of the guys here that are in mutual loving relationships, doesn't it make you wonder? I don't mean that in a bad way bro... What I mean is for us guys that are married or have been in long lasting relationships our ladies are in total support. NO they may not like the smell but they sure as hell want us HAPPY! Just like we want our ladies HAPPY! Happiness is what makes a relationship, right? Happiness is part of being in love and loving one another right? I'm sure if you wanted to pick your lady apart you could find things that she does is not healthy, right? Maybe she doesn't excercise enough, eat right i.e. crappy foods like fries, doughnuts, hot dogs, etc... I mean if you get down to brass tax on this someones mental happiness leads to a long lasting life! You should tell her if she keeps it up you'll be coming to Illinois to herf more because it makes you happy and you want to live forever:smokingbo

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I generally smoke downstairs...but if my girls are off at school I might smoke in my office upstairs. My wife enjoys the smell of a cigar and never says a word. I suppose she sees this as the least destructive vice I have ever had...lol. She rarely complains about purchases unless Im getting absurd and blowing our agreed upon cigar budget. (*cough* like the last 3 months...lol)

I'm not sure if I'm the best person to give relationship advice...but I couldn't be with a woman who nagged me...especially about cigars. I needed a woman who can let a man be a man...not always agreeing with what I do...but not busting my chops about it. My wife lets me know how she feels then its done. I either choose to change my behavior or not. And honestly, most of the time I will compromise because she doesn't bust my balls about it.

Life is too short to not be able to smoke a good cigar guilt free.

As for the cigarettes...she should have kicked you in the head for that. :agreesmil

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Donk:

After a long, miserable marriage and a couple of subsequent girlfriends, I learned a valuable lesson that you need to impart to your current g/f. There are no rules that apply to every relationship out there. For every supposed rule you can cite (don't cheat on your spouse), I can find you a couple who thinks the rule is stupid (hey, honey, how about a threesome tonight?) Fact is, whether you SHOULD smoke cigars and pipes is not the issue. The point is that you DO. The issue, then, is whether she is willing to tolerate your smoking, without nagging about it. Either she is or she isn't. If she is, great. If she isn't, then she needs to find a guy who meets her criteria, cause it ain't you.

Women marry men hoping they will change, and they never do; men marry women, hoping they won't change, and they always do.

Before I got re-married, my wife and I sat down to go over our mutual expectations. Me: I officiate basketball, so I'll be gone a good bit in the winter months. Her: Great, I like time alone. Me: I smoke cigars, and I'm not going to quit. Her: I love the smell of a good cigar. Please just smoke outside until we get your mancave finished.

Young people think it's enough to just be in love. Those of us who have been there know that it takes a lot more than that.
That's the truth right there.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
If she hates smoking there is really no real answer. Live with it or decide your priorities. My wife accepts it, accepts my purchases and my time with the guys. I know she doent like it but finds it far superior to my scotch years.
LOL...I truly laughed out loud when I read that. I think my wife would agree. :yes:

BGC

Zach
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
My girlfriend is a Nurse, and has never smoked a day in her life. Nothing not ever, Exept she thinks its ok to smoke Weed! Go figure! So to her smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your body, well after drugs. So getting her to smoke with me is out of the question. Although I wish she would that would be awesome.

Weed has far more chemicals in it than tobacco and it's a drug. I suppose she's for the "medicinal marijuana".

RigilKent

RigilKent
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
well technically nicotine is a drug also. donk i may not be the best at giving advice but like a few have said just sit her down and talk to her about it. does she know that you even have this issue? a quick little talk can clear up a lot of things in my experience. good luck man and keep us posted

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Take Dolemite's advice:

"Buy that bitch a bus pass!"

Since I've been with my wife, I've:

• Quit Drinking
  • Quit smoking cigarettes
  • Quit smoking weed
  • Quit going to bars
  • Quit riding my bike
  • Cut way back on sugar (I've had 1 DrPepper in the last 6 months)

I'm running out of shit to give up to appease her. I draw the line at my cigars (2-3 a week is hardy going to kill me anyhow)

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
Take Dolemite's advice:

• Quit Drinking
  • Quit smoking weed
  • Quit going to bars
  • Quit riding my bike

I'm running out of shit to give up to appease her. I draw the line at my cigars (2-3 a week is hardy going to kill me anyhow)
Sounds like it's time to revolt!

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Take Dolemite's advice:

• Quit Drinking
  • Quit smoking weed
  • Quit going to bars
  • Quit riding my bike

You should just start it all again so she has to start over. It will take a while to get back to the cigars.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
My girlfriend is a Nurse, and has never smoked a day in her life. Nothing not ever, Exept she thinks its ok to smoke Weed! Go figure! So to her smoking is one of the worst things you can do to your body, well after drugs. So getting her to smoke with me is out of the question. Although I wish she would that would be awesome.

Weed has far more chemicals in it than tobacco and it's a drug. I suppose she's for the "medicinal marijuana".

gonna thread jack here for a minute..

The big problem I have with your point here is that there is not one documented case where Weed has caused lung cancer, mounth cancer, or any of the other cancers that tobacco has casued or can cause.

Are you not for Med Marijuana? Why should a cancer patient have take some phamacuetical drug when a natural product can make them feel better? If someone suffers from insomnia, should they just take Ambien every night? That is a highly addictive drug, with major side effects, but is prescribed by Drs like it's pez. What about a chronic pain sufferer, maybe they should just eat some vicodin all day every day, I'm sure that's a good way to handle it. Just ask the Pharm companies....$$$$ If your Dr were to write you a prescription for an ailment would you trust that he was making an informed educated decision on what to give you? Well Dr's are prescribiton marijuana..My guess is they are making educated informed decisions. But that's just me. Personaly I just like how it feels...And it does not damage my liver or my attitude like a half bottle of scotch does.

Rant over, maybe I'll start a thread just for this debate.