What's new

Wine Cooler seal issue...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK. So believe it or not, I'm a dumbass. Yeah, yeah, I know, no reason to agree now. :nono:

So, after all of my troubles, after all my attempts at figuring out how to fix my damn humidity issue with my Haier, I finally decided to check the most basic of basics. :thinkidea The seal. And guess what? It isn't perfect. :disappoin

I took a flashlight and ran it around the outside of the seal while looking in through the glass front. The bottom left corner (when facing the cooler) just barely doesn't seal. Add this to the drain hole in the back and I have to assume that warmer, higher water content air is entering through these two spots and keeping the humidity higher than it should be within the cooler.

So, I'm here to ask for help. I've sent an email to Haier to see if they have a recommended fix. I really don't want to have to unload the damn thing (not sure where I'd even put everything), pack it up, and take it somewhere for warranty work. Anyone have any ideas on how to correct that seal issue? Something I can stick to that corner that will take up that gap? Anything?

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Damn that sucks Jason, all that trouble you had and turns out it was the seal. Argh...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Not really Mark? I think there is some of that there, but it's just the same kind of gasket you see on all coolers like it? :dunno: I believe there may be one behind the gasket to pull it close and I'm going to test that a little when I get home tonight. If that's the case I will see if that corner shows any "magnetism" so to speak. If it does I'll probably just figure out a way to attach a small piece of steel to the corner so that it pulls tight right there...

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK, not on your life...Go talk to the :wifey: about that one.
(I figured that was a better response than :nono:...less raunchy)

Second line, I'll take that under advisement.

As to your last, :dunno:, you don't really want to start that do you :lady: ? I mean really, :crackwhip more than I do.

Now, if you'll excuse me...:sadstare: .

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
JW is the bottom left the hinge side or not. If not I would try a slight adjustment on it like they do on car doors that don't seal too well. Put a smal piece of 2x4 on the side opposite the crack and push in slightly at the crack to make up the difference. It won't take much and should not harm the glass either. The door is just racked a little bit. If it is the hinge side you'll need to reverse the door to make the correction.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Not the hinge side bro', but I wish I had more of a clue what you are talking about! :rofl: Where's the "durrrrrrrrr!" emoticon? Not very mechanically inclined here. I'm going to mess with it some when I get home and see what I can see...I'll post more later.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
LOL Mike.

Todd, no go on Foam Tape bro'. Makes the issue worse.

Mark, yes it's got a magnetic strip on it, but the problem is right where the corner is at the point. It seems to want to "curl out". I have a long ass strip of magnetic tape so I tried to fix it with that by cutting a couple small pieces and sticking them on the corner. All that did is move the problem spot to the ends of the strips of tape. I worked with the corner to see if I could get it to straighten out, but I don't know how much good it did or if it will even last. I suppose I could just add one strip of mag. tape all the way around...:dunno:

AZsteelman

April 2006 BoM
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
it's HAMMER TIME! nail that sucker shut!

seriously, if you could figure out how to just "jimmy it" a little to straighten out the sprung door, it would be fine...not there to help, but thinking helpful thoughts!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Jwrussell said:
LOL Mike.

Todd, no go on Foam Tape bro'. Makes the issue worse.

Mark, yes it's got a magnetic strip on it, but the problem is right where the corner is at the point. It seems to want to "curl out". I have a long ass strip of magnetic tape so I tried to fix it with that by cutting a couple small pieces and sticking them on the corner. All that did is move the problem spot to the ends of the strips of tape. I worked with the corner to see if I could get it to straighten out, but I don't know how much good it did or if it will even last. I suppose I could just add one strip of mag. tape all the way around...:dunno:
Can you return it?

Did you try putting the foam tape all the way around the door?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
No, really don't think that would work Todd. Think about putting that foam tape all the way around where the seal on your refridgerator meets the fridge. Just don't see how that would really help. If anything I think I'd stick that magnetic tape all the way around it. I've been working with the corner and it's looking alot better. Much flatter to the cooler. The real test will be in a bit when I turn the lights all off and hit it with the flash light. There was just the tiniest crack on the bottom the last time I checked. I might try a little bit of electrical tape down there if it won't flatten.

I doubt I could return it to Lowes and even if I could, I don't think they carry this one anymore. Still not a peep from Haier on the email I sent which kind of irritates me.

I know a few bro's on here have coolers. Anyone block the drain hole in the back? And how?