What's new

Wineador Humidification?

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Had a wineador and now on a cabinet. I do have a pound of HF, but I found that not to be enough. Rather than buying more I went the KL route and haven't looked back. Used the money I saved to buy some sticks. Have fun filling the wineador!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
No need for the packs at all, they will really add no benefit, you also don't need fans in a winador, if you plug it in it will use the internal fan as normal (remember to plug the drain), I know people that have used winadors unplugged for years that have never had an RH problem, toss in 2 or so pounds of beads (I use shilila's..erm I mean HF beads).

-A

Rating - 100%
137   0   0
I use beads, and up until a few months ago used a active system. I took the active system out and relied on the beads and any boveda I got with a package just thrown in there.

Im gonna agree with alex on this; if you can keep it closed and are looking for long-term aging, then beads are the way to go (even if its slightly less then they suggest).

If you want it as a daily reach in maybe grab a few more beads to keep it steady, or combine with a smaller active system to get it back up to 65% immediately after closing the door (shouldn't be a necessity if you go in less that 3 times a day) But that being said the first few weeks you will be opening it about 30,000 times a day to look at it :) the urge goes away dont worry

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
i use hcm beads and boveda packs. The boveda packs are mainly just for my piece of mind, to me they ensure the hcm beads stay at 62rh and also to help distribute the humidity. I trust boveda packs more than my digital hygrometers (I have a few and all give me different readings in the same place). The reason I use HCM beads over HF or KL is primarily due to the reduced maintenance (never have had to recharge them, but the boveda packs kinda ensure i dont need to) and no risk of over humidifying the beads and having a spike in humidity (that issue is easily avoidable though).
This exactly
i am firmly in this camp. italics added for my emphasis. knock wood, but have had ZERO issues with storage since i went this route.

also, recommend sud-dividing the beads into small packs in differing areas, especially if you are not going to be running the unit (mainly the fan). it helps distribution. go out and buy media bags, i just really hate the look of the "panty pack" of beads.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
If you have a local pet store, check for fish tank filter media bags. I'm doing mine up with KL and four of those, 4"x12", that I got from Petco around $2.50/ea.
Total KL route < $15
Rupe, I'll be contacting you soon about a more in depth startup procedure. :)

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
i use hcm beads and boveda packs. The boveda packs are mainly just for my piece of mind, to me they ensure the hcm beads stay at 62rh and also to help distribute the humidity. I trust boveda packs more than my digital hygrometers (I have a few and all give me different readings in the same place). The reason I use HCM beads over HF or KL is primarily due to the reduced maintenance (never have had to recharge them, but the boveda packs kinda ensure i dont need to) and no risk of over humidifying the beads and having a spike in humidity (that issue is easily avoidable though).
This exactly
i am firmly in this camp. italics added for my emphasis. knock wood, but have had ZERO issues with storage since i went this route.

also, recommend sud-dividing the beads into small packs in differing areas, especially if you are not going to be running the unit (mainly the fan). it helps distribution. go out and buy media bags, i just really hate the look of the "panty pack" of beads.
Good point by java. I have 4 different bags of beads throughout my 34 vinotemp and bovedas anywhere else

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm using an Edgestar/Koldfront 28 which has a smaller internal volume than the Newair 280, but used the HCM calculator and guidelines and ordered twice as much as it recommended, but in smaller bags so I could spread them out. I use a temperature controller to keep the temp between 65-70, and have a set of drawers/shelves from Forrest and about half the humidor is filled up with boxes (some of them empty). I also plugged the drain.

In my experience, the biggest thing is getting as much properly seasoned cedar in there as you can to help stabilize the humidity. The empty cigar boxes help by both taking up empty space and being made of cedar. I had issues getting humidity stable until I got all that cedar in there and as much empty space taken up as possible. Until the humidity got stable, I used Boveda packs along with the HCM beads (both 65%) but once I was holding right at 65% and recovering quickly, I removed the Bovedas and it's been solid ever since with just the HCM beads.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have 2 lbs of 65% beads and 2 Boveda packs in my 28 bottle wine cooler, 1/2 lb of 65% beads and a Boveda pack in my desktop. I have 2 fans in my wine cooler for air circulation and that's it. A good hygro and patience is all you need. The fuller your cooler is the less beads you need. I keep telling guys to fill their coolers full of boxes, if you only have a couple full boxes get a bunch of empties and fill up the dead airspace. It is a lot easier to maintain humidity in a full cooler than a half empty cooler.