What's new

Wineador Journal

Nas

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
keep' em coming guys im gonna make this my personal sticky for when my drawers come in. i still got about 17 weeks prolly (knew i was in for a long wait, not complaining just anxious), just ordered last month, i havent even unpackaged my fridge, if i did i'd go bananas everyday

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Nas, if you have a large cooler or some other vessel to season your drawers in when they finally arrive, there's no reason you couldn't crack that fridge open and get moved in. It really is nice not having to worry about temperature fluctuation, expecially as the summer heat creeps in, even if you're temporarily using cigar boxes or tupperware for trays...
Even if you don't have a big cooler to use, you can always stash your cigars in a few gallon ziplocks for your seasoning period! I just know I couldn't wait for my drawers to come. I had to get in there!

Nas

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Nas, if you have a large cooler or some other vessel to season your drawers in when they finally arrive, there's no reason you couldn't crack that fridge open and get moved in. It really is nice not having to worry about temperature fluctuation, expecially as the summer heat creeps in, even if you're temporarily using cigar boxes or tupperware for trays...
Even if you don't have a big cooler to use, you can always stash your cigars in a few gallon ziplocks for your seasoning period! I just know I couldn't wait for my drawers to come. I had to get in there!
i do currently have a 48qt, if i read correctly ur saying i should season it, throw all my coolidor boxed sticks in the fridge once its setup, then use the cooler for the drawers? Brilliant!!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i do currently have a 48qt, if i read correctly ur saying i should season it, throw all my coolidor boxed sticks in the fridge once its setup, then use the cooler for the drawers? Brilliant!!
Have to agree with cgraunke here....

I would move into that fridge ASAP.

I wouldn't let temperature control you could be using now go to waste, that's me though.

I would at least get a head start on cleaning it though simply b/c some people do it in 5 days but it took me about 1.5 weeks before I felt mine was clean as I would do something to it then let it sit like that for 3 days, etc.

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Good scrub w/ baking soda/dw
Wipe clean w/ dw
Good rub w/ vinegar
Wipe clean w/ dw
Fill with trays of activated carbon/charcoal from fish filter section of pet store (more surface area, the better) and let run for a few days.
Intersperse above steps with sitting open/airing out as desired.
This should leave you as close to scent free as you're going to get.
There really is nothing to season as nothing in there holds humidity. But if you're adding new empty boxes from your B&M you could season them first. Otherwise, if everything going in is already at your desired RH, let 'er buck!
(I'm assuming kl/beads/boveda from your current storage will be moving in with the cigars. If adding new RH media, that will also factor in to "seasoning" )
Any questions? Just ask!
Good luck! 👍😆

Nas

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Good scrub w/ baking soda/dw
Wipe clean w/ dw
Good rub w/ vinegar
Wipe clean w/ dw
Fill with trays of activated carbon/charcoal from fish filter section of pet store (more surface area, the better) and let run for a few days.
Intersperse above steps with sitting open/airing out as desired.
This should leave you as close to scent free as you're going to get.
There really is nothing to season as nothing in there holds humidity. But if you're adding new empty boxes from your B&M you could season them first. Otherwise, if everything going in is already at your desired RH, let 'er buck!
(I'm assuming kl/beads/boveda from your current storage will be moving in with the cigars. If adding new RH media, that will also factor in to "seasoning" )
Any questions? Just ask!
Good luck! ����
just copied this cheat sheet, thanks clint

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow, I really feel like I'm not supposed to own a wineador.

2 months after ordering drawers, they came. Styrofoam was melted to the sides but luckily, sandpaper removed it.

So the long awaited time has finally come. I screw the handles on, stick the drawers in, take these few photos, and 5 minutes later, the digital read out goes blank and the door starts making a loud chirping noise.

I bought it used and apparently it chose the actual minute I put my drawers in to crap out. Fan wasn't spinning and I unplugged to try to re-boot it but it just started chirping again.

I'm guessing I need to locate someone who can work on these locally.

Here's the pics...the bottom of the false front doesn't go as far down as I would prefer but that seems like the least of my worries now.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, the false front is in lowest possible slot.

I have been researching this morning and it looks like vinotemps are known for this. It seems to be an electrolytic capacitor, which I have been reading is less than $1 at Radio Shack.

This however involves soldering which I don't have tools for.

Also, Vinotemp sells brand new circuit boards for $50. This will cover all your basis in the rsre chance it's not the other $1 fix, but unfortunately, replacing the whole board also requires some soldering.

Im going to ask around for someone who could come over and try the cheap capacitor fix and hope that works.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible you got shipped a false drawer from the wrong model?
No, I just have a really weird wine cooler.

It's a 16 bottle.

It seems people usually only have a 12, 18 or 24

So 16 is an odd size.

I gave him the measurements, and he said while he hadn't done a Vino 16 bottle that he could recall, the measurements that I gave him turned out to be a very common measurement that he made.

he said it was the exact measurements of the NewAir281.

So I ordered, but he doesn't ask for the measurement for the front of the false bottom drawer.

It didn't even cross my mind. I assumed he had asked me for everything he needed.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm convinced my hygro is off on temp, but so far, this whole KL has been testing my patience.

When my hygro reads 65 degrees, I can't get my wineador to retain any humidity. If you read my last post, after achieving 65%, I realized the reading on my Vinotemp was wrong. I realized that I had to adjust cooler at a setting well below 65 to achieve that temp.

Anybody know if there is a certain temp where air stops really holding moisture? I had a bowl of DW only with my hygro reading 65 degrees, and the RH would not rise.
So Jeff I just got a 16 bottle koldfront unit. I am having a similar problem. Once I turn on the unit to cool the temp off the rh drops like 10%. Just goin from 70 degrees to 68 degrees it drops like this. Any helpful hints??? Right now I have 2 dishes with kl and a bowl of distilled water. Maybe just more seasoning time??? Thanks for any help guys.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm convinced my hygro is off on temp, but so far, this whole KL has been testing my patience.

When my hygro reads 65 degrees, I can't get my wineador to retain any humidity. If you read my last post, after achieving 65%, I realized the reading on my Vinotemp was wrong. I realized that I had to adjust cooler at a setting well below 65 to achieve that temp.

Anybody know if there is a certain temp where air stops really holding moisture? I had a bowl of DW only with my hygro reading 65 degrees, and the RH would not rise.
So Jeff I just got a 16 bottle koldfront unit. I am having a similar problem. Once I turn on the unit to cool the temp off the rh drops like 10%. Just goin from 70 degrees to 68 degrees it drops like this. Any helpful hints??? Right now I have 2 dishes with kl and a bowl of distilled water. Maybe just more seasoning time??? Thanks for any help guys.
There is never a good reason to have DW and KL in at the same time.

First get your temp set where you want it, somewhere around 65 degrees is best. My confusion in setting mine up, was I had to learn I had to set my fridge to 50 something to achieve 65 on inside. Point is set fridge to whatever you have to put it on to make your hygro read 65.

So only after your temp is set and you are done adjusting temp can you begin to focus on your humidity.

DW only, leave only DW until you hit 80% RH.

When you hit 80, take the water out, put only dry KL in right out of bag, do not squirt it.

Wait for days, your RH will drop and it may even bounce a little but you are waiting for it to stop moving. Hopefully it stops on 65 or below, but wait for it to prove that its staying on that number. If it has been on 63 for 12 hrs, wait, give it 24 hrs, if it is stuck on its lowest number for at least a day, then give it a few squirts and wait for another 12 hrs. Do this until you raise it back to 65.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I gave him the measurements, and he said while he hadn't done a Vino 16 bottle that he could recall, the measurements that I gave him turned out to be a very common measurement that he made.
He made me drawers for a 16ct in early 2011. I had him do three full drawers and a fourth "drawer" about two inches deep. The nice thing about the 16 bottle is that there's a slot at the bottom.

Last edited:

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
To the guys that ordered the drawers for the NewAir did you get full ventilated option, just rear ventilated or is that not necessary?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
You guys are messing with me here. I was just online looking at kijiji and there is a Danby DWC350BLP for $100. I just don't know if it's a thermo electric one like I need.