What's new

Wineador noob questions

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
So I just set up my new wineador (unplugged) and I’ve got a couple rookie questions... should I seal off the the exhaust fan vent? If so would some taped up plastic wrap do the trick? Also what’s the deal with people using kitty litter... are they literally putting litter in a cup and occasionally spraying it with DW?

The thing is about your question it has been asked before, but it is good you asked it again. My reason I like respective questions is the Fourm Mmebership is in a constants state of change, and some people who have expertise on this subject could be in Tahiti on vacation, and can not reply.

I am not a Wine-A-Dor expert but will put in my two cents on treatment of wood. Spraying, or soaking is OK if you do not mine wood warping.

I personally cringe where I hear some B & M clerk telling some newbie, to just wipe down a new humidor with distilled water, full the humidity holder gizmo with distilled water, and then put Cigar in it as it is ready to go.

My reason is talking to real experts, and knowing wood & water produce warpage after direct wet contact. I am a big fan of Boveda's 84% for seasoning, or just putting a Tupperware with distilled water in it humidor, and leaving the humidor alone for 14 days so the seasoning is slow. If the Tupperware is empty at 14 day, maybe another week is nessessary. If it is down but still has distilled water in it. Your are good to go.

My next step would be to put in (1) Boveda your choice of RH you want, Per 25 count of capacity, then a calibrated RH Gague, NO STICKS close lid and check RH in 36 hours. Should be at desired RH..

Honestly we, or I should say most know aging Wine, Beer, Booze or Cigars takes time. So it would be a good idea to prepare your Wine-A-Dor by slowly infusing the Cedar with mossture slowly.

Just go slow, less chance of screwing something up. JMHO. (y)

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I ended up sealing the fan vent from the inside and adding another Boveda because the RH wouldn’t go over 55. Which isn’t surprising seeing as my house is riding right around 10-15% right now. So hopefully it’s up to where I need it before I leave for Colorado. If I had to guess I’d say max I could squeeze 150-200 sticks in there and right now I’m up to 5 boveda packs.
check your hygro to make sure it hasn't moved. They do that. Should be no need to seal the fan. It's not a vent. It's just to move the air in there. It's peltier, not compressor.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest going to YouTube and subscribe to Boveda's Channel. They also have a podcast you can subscribe. They do a periodic half-hour show if you want to listen. If you want to watch and listen, they post the video-cast of the same show on their YouTube channel.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
[ Right now I’m just using four Boveda packs( 1 per box seemed logical for some reason) but ok will definitely seal off the vent tonight and see if that helps the humidity. If not then I’ll either grab some litter or beads to add to the mix.
I have a Newair 400-count (which is a good deal larger than the one in your photo) with 6 boxes and probably 200 loose sticks. I have two 320 gram Boedas, one on the top shelf and one on the floor of the wineador. It holds RH perfectly well with seemingly no depletion to the Bovedas in nearly three months. The seal on the unit is excellent.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I have a Newair 400-count (which is a good deal larger than the one in your photo) with 6 boxes and probably 200 loose sticks. I have two 320 gram Boedas, one on the top shelf and one on the floor of the wineador. It holds RH perfectly well with seemingly no depletion to the Bovedas in nearly three months. The seal on the unit is excellent.
I’m fairly certain the one I bought was the cheapest new piece of garbage available... but on a positive note temp is steady and rh is creeping upwards after I sealed it up a bit. This thing was just full of gaps which I’m assuming was the issue.