What's new

Wood sources for smoking

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
Where does everyone get their wood and lump coal? I've been using the stuff sold at the local butcher which is mesquite lump coal and wood chips for my 'analog' smoker (no auger, no pellets, no heating coil - just an offset firebox), but I'm thinking there's got to be a better place.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Lump from Walmart/Home Depot/lowes/menards. And wood I buy half a cord a pop of hickory and half of Apple from a guy on Craig's list.

brandoncpm

BoM Nov '13
Rating - 100%
231   0   0
I get my lump charcoal from lowes and I get apple wood and pecan wood from the Charcoal Store (they are on amazon as well). Get hickory wood locally

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Lump from Walmart/Home Depot/lowes/menards. And wood I buy half a cord a pop of hickory and half of Apple from a guy on Craig's list.
I do the same as JJ. I used to buy wood in a giant bag at Academy Sports for $10. It worked great, until I found legit good wood. This stuff was Kiln Dried or something like that. I just never went back to the bag stuff, once I had the good stuff.

But this part of Arkansas allows us to either one, get it in our own back yard, or two, go get it from the neighbors back yard. Wood a plenty.

rev.b

Master of Mayhem * BoM 1/14
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
I severely trimmed 'hacked' up an apple tree of my moms so I use it, oak and pecan. Sometimes hickory and or pear depends on availability and taste at the moment.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
There is an Ace hardware store I frequent that usually has 1 big sale per year on big bags of lump. I hit up the Lowes/Home Depot sales for Kingsford.

Wood, I usually check craigslist. I loaded up on apple one year and cherry the other.

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
I buy oak in bulk.. and use that as a base.. rarely use charcoal anymore at all...

then use a variety of other woods for smoke/flavor.. depending on the mood... cherry, pear, apple, mesquite, and hickory are the most common.. normally just buy those in bags at the grocery store.. or prune a couple of branches off trees in the back yard (that is.. until the dogs ate my pear trees...)...

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
From the way y'all are talking, I am beginning to think that I should give up my year-round awesome weather and move to a place that actually has trees other than palms, and palms, and palms, and pines... :dunno:

I guess I am stuck with the cherry wood bags at Home Depot... We don't grow Cherry in San Diego.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
As my wife says the only thing a palm tree is good for is making a hurricane look worse then it really is.

You can't score some good Hickory out there?

Rating - 100%
66   0   0
If you have a Ranch Market close to you, they have good deals on Mesquite charcoal. If not, you could always check the Temecula area for orchards selling off wood. I I'm pretty sure there are still a few almond groves around that should sell wood at the end of the season.

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
Mesquite is such a bitter wood I cant imagine ever using it to smoke. I know you Southwestern guys use it but not everyone can be perfect.

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Craigslist.

Always someone selling, or giving away hickory, or pecan wood, and usually for very decent prices. Those are the two woods I use most often. For apple I just buy it in chunks at Lowes.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
If you have a Ranch Market close to you, they have good deals on Mesquite charcoal. If not, you could always check the Temecula area for orchards selling off wood. I I'm pretty sure there are still a few almond groves around that should sell wood at the end of the season.
Yeah, my mesquite charcoal from the local butcher is from Sonora. $15 for 25 lbs. And I don't know when you've been to temecula last, but it is all tract-homes and vinyards now... Think I'm going to hit up Julian for applewood.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
http://www.thewoodshedoc.com/

Its a bit of a drive for you but its 100% worth it if you need hard wood for smoking. I get all my stuff from there and honestly its awesome. The owner is a bbq junky and they will cut what you want and need to order if its not already assuming they have it. You can always call to check stock and see what they have that isnt listed.