What's new

Wood sources for smoking

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
There is a huge firewood place near my house off of Topanga Canyon. They have piles of wood literally two stories tall, and you can buy in smaller quantities as well as cords. Lemme know what you are looking for...Maybe I can grab some for you and bring to the Socal Beach Herf. :thumbsup::

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
There is a huge firewood place near my house off of Topanga Canyon. They have piles of wood literally two stories tall, and you can buy in smaller quantities as well as cords. Lemme know what you are looking for...Maybe I can grab some for you and bring to the Socal Beach Herf. :thumbsup::
Wait a minute... you can't bring the water or the sand, but you can bring the wood? What's up with that?! :dunno:

I might take you up on that. Before I do, I just noticed a firewood spot close to my house that is tucked up against the highway. I'm gonna cruise by and see what's going on there.

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Wait a minute... you can't bring the water or the sand, but you can bring the wood? What's up with that?! :dunno:

I might take you up on that. Before I do, I just noticed a firewood spot close to my house that is tucked up against the highway. I'm gonna cruise by and see what's going on there.
LOL...Happy to help if I can. LMK,

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
I buy coal and premium smoking woods, shells, etc from a place called "Settergrens" in MPLS. Oddly enough, I went to high school with the owners daughter.

If WM, Lowes is on my way - I'll stop there for lump.

I get my other woods from the back yard :)

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Well, this was only from last Fall, so it's not been dead for too long to resurrect...

I buy a lot of mine at BBQ-woods.com for specialty woods (grape vine, apple wood, cherry...). For my regular charcoal, I've been using Cowboy Brand lump and really like it although lately I'm finding the pieces to be smaller than they used to be.

BUT, last year I discovered lump charcoal briquettes from Trader Joe's. They are 100% lump charcoal and the binder is 100% corn starch. No other chemical binders. You get the heat and lack of chemicals plus a consistent size of the briquettes. Granted, they don't seem to burn quite as hot as lump charcoal but, for most of my grilling needs, they're plenty hot.

Rating - 100%
65   0   0
Lump from Wegmans (east coast only)
smoking fruit wood from local orchard. I found that you can go to the local orchards and they give you woods for free

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
smoking fruit wood from local orchard. I found that you can go to the local orchards and they give you woods for free

Just got my first smoker the other day, this thread is interesting.

Never thought of going to local orchards for wood. Is there a certain time to do this?

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0

Just got my first smoker the other day, this thread is interesting.

Never thought of going to local orchards for wood. Is there a certain time to do this?
Yeah, good question. My local orchards are all an hour up a mountain, so I would hate to drive up there and come back empty handed...

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Rating - 100%
42   0   0