What's new

Woofador: Herfdog's wine fridge wineadore build

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Very nice score. I keep checking my local craigslist for a great deal but haven't found one yet.
Yeah I checked several times on Craiglist and Kijiji (Its the biggest online add site in Canada) and didn't find anything I tought were "deal" - I even saw the exact same model as this one for like 150$...

I was once in Windsor and lit an American dollar on fire to prove a point, that Canadians will reach into flames for American moolah!

Congrats on the find :)
but... try to burn a canadian dollar, just for fun...

Last edited:

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Ok... I originally tought I had a compressor model. Mainly, because there's a radiator. you know, compressor, radiator...
here's what it looks like when I remove the back cover.

But, then, the inside cover hides a heatsink.

That's the heatsink for a thermoelectric unit. Sooooo its a watercooled thermoelectric wine cooler??

I'll quote @jkittle99 - not only did I score a nice thermoelectric unit, but I now have the incredible hulk of thermoelectric wino's!!

I am letting it run for a test on temperature, but it seems that the thing keep running pretty much all the time, so we'll see when it reached a "cool" temp if it keeps running.

I also removed most of the chemicals scent with baking soda and water. Will see tomorrow how it goes.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Woke up to a wino nearing 60 degrees (hard to tell with this cheapo non-calibrated imprecise hygro/thermo meter...) but the fan still running. Tuning the thermostat would change the fan speed, but not stop it.

Now, I think constent airflow ain't a good thing is it? @sofc ?

I am pretty sure I can splice/tweak the system somewhere to get a slower fan and higher temp - I think we're aiming for 70 right?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Mine runs pretty much all the time with no issues. Once you get it filled up the air flow is very gentle. If the humidity is correct, I can't see a problem.
Thanks for that tidbit of information.

Also, is 60 a good temp? The specs says it ranges between 50 and 65, but it seems the lowest setting leaves it around 60. (or the cheapo digital thermometer is off by 5. That's totally possible too.)

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
That's an awesome deal! I need to channel your bargain finding skills down here.

Excited to see it online and decked out! :D

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Thanks for that tidbit of information.

Also, is 60 a good temp? The specs says it ranges between 50 and 65, but it seems the lowest setting leaves it around 60. (or the cheapo digital thermometer is off by 5. That's totally possible too.)
I run mine at 65/65 so I'm not sure about 60. Someone else may have to jump in on that one. Is it turned all the way up? Might want to get a different thermometer just to double check.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I run mine at 65/65 so I'm not sure about 60. Someone else may have to jump in on that one. Is it turned all the way up? Might want to get a different thermometer just to double check.
I will try something tonight. The knob can revolve more, but it also "clicks" as to turning something on/off - but I don't think its actually turning something on or off by doing so. Maybe I can pull it to the clicker and get the 65.

Otherwise, if its a potentiometer, I'll just tap on it and see if I can trick it into another value. I might even be able to get a nice 70.

That is - if 60 isn't a good value.

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Question for the humidity gurus (@sofc ?)
This is a rather big unit, documented as 35 bottles, with 7 shelves on which you can put 5 bottles each. How much kitty litter should I put in there?
the unit capacity is 3.1 cu ft (as seen on the label on the back)

Thinking similar to beads, heartfelt and 5356.8 cubic inches
https://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp
calculates it at 10 ounces (.65 pounds? that sounds little.)

Should I go with about a pound of KL?

I am wanting to start getting the humidity under control, as soon as I have a nice 65-ish temp.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I use about a pound in my 2.5cu and it is plenty. I would recommend Mimi kitty litter if you can get it. $4 for 4 lbs compared to around $40 a pound for heartfelt. They will start around 60% eg so a few sprays is all it takes.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I woukd go with alot more than a pound especially if you are going to be cooling with it. RH will drop when that thing kicks on. You cant have too much in there.
I have to agree with this. I'd start with 2lbs spread throughout. Honestly, aside from taking up space, too much won't hurt anything.

Also, from what I've read, 60 degrees is about the coldest you want to keep your cigars. I would try to keep it from going much lower than that. If it's not hot out where you live (or your home in air conditioned) you could leave the unit turned off. It won't affect the seal on the door...

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Question for the humidity gurus (@sofc ?)
This is a rather big unit, documented as 35 bottles, with 7 shelves on which you can put 5 bottles each. How much kitty litter should I put in there?
the unit capacity is 3.1 cu ft (as seen on the label on the back)

Thinking similar to beads, heartfelt and 5356.8 cubic inches
https://www.heartfeltindustries.com/calculator.asp
calculates it at 10 ounces (.65 pounds? that sounds little.)

Should I go with about a pound of KL?

I am wanting to start getting the humidity under control, as soon as I have a nice 65-ish temp.
I would go with 2.5 pounds but what the hell do I know?

herfdog

I am no rocket surgeon
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I use about a pound in my 2.5cu and it is plenty. I would recommend Mimi kitty litter if you can get it. $4 for 4 lbs compared to around $40 a pound for heartfelt. They will start around 60% eg so a few sprays is all it takes.
I have to agree with this. I'd start with 2lbs spread throughout. Honestly, aside from taking up space, too much won't hurt anything.

Also, from what I've read, 60 degrees is about the coldest you want to keep your cigars. I would try to keep it from going much lower than that. If it's not hot out where you live (or your home in air conditioned) you could leave the unit turned off. It won't affect the seal on the door...
I would go with 2.5 pounds but what the hell do I know?

I already have a 12$ worth of whatever name it was at wallmart unscented silica cat litter, I just want to put an approximative good value so there's enough left to add if I spray too much. Also, it is my understanding that its more about surface than volume.

I am testing the wino at its extrême valut to see what temp I get. I hope for 65 for our hot summer. The digital thermometer tests within 1 degrees of my heating system, so I say its a good approximation; I want it at 65 in the fridge, while I keep the room purposely near 75.