What's new

Would you smoke these moldy cigars?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased some Monte #2's recently. I've purchased a LOT from this vendor before. When they arrived, most of the cigars have a small amount of mold (see images). All but about 7 sticks have similar amounts of mold as indicated in the pics. The vendor says he would replace if returned, but considers this to be very very mild and recommends that I wipe them off and store them in the humi and it will never come back. Would you keep these? After being wiped off, will something like this spread or spread to other cigars in the humi?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
yeah, mold usually doesn't go away they easily in real life. it doesn't look BAD, but i would be worried. have you inspected the feet of the cigars? a little on the capis one thing, the possibility of it being in the filler is a whole different game.

good luck with it.

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
White mold is okay. Just wipe it off and make sure humidity and temp is correct. As long as it's not on the foot, you will be fine.

On second thought, you better send them to me just to be sure. :)

Rating - 100%
53   0   0
If he will replace at no extra cost, then I would just get some different ones and not have to worry about it. I assume you spent a good amount on them and you should expect excellent condition. Thats just what I would do.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
I don't mess with mold, not worth it. Personally I would just get a refund cuz I would be concerned that if I sent them back he would just wipe the mold off and send them back to me. I would also not buy from that vendor again because if he's telling you to wipe the mold off and smoke then I can't trust him to not sell me moldy cigars that he just wiped the mold off

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the offer is to return, id return.. I dont mess with mold or the chance for it to spread since its active..

Fox

BoM May '07
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
I wipe them off with a soft, clean cloth lightly dampened with distilled water, then put them in a dry box for a few days. I use grain alcohol (ethanol - Everclear) to thoroughly clean the original box and let it air dry for a few days. I then put the smokes back into the original box, place them in the humidor and leave them alone for a month and then smoke them. Never had a problem with mold spreading elsewhere in decades of smoking. I DO NOT put them in a singles drawer where they can contact the wood directly, just in case.

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I wipe them off with a soft, clean cloth lightly dampened with distilled water, then put them in a dry box for a few days. I use grain alcohol (ethanol - Everclear) to thoroughly clean the original box and let it air dry for a few days. I then put the smokes back into the original box, place them in the humidor and leave them alone for a month and then smoke them. Never had a problem with mold spreading elsewhere in decades of smoking. I DO NOT put them in a singles drawer where they can contact the wood directly, just in case.
Same method I have used, and the cigars smoked perfectly each time.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
It seems to happen in the paper-lined boxes most often... I prefer to relocate to a cab-style box unless long-terming it. Look - just wipe them off - cigar smoking is not for the germ-phobic! how many people touch that cigar before you place it between your lips?? Wipe em off & check them every so often. If the mold was blue, green or black - than get rid of them asap - do not smoke, but white = wipe & light.

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Colored mold is from bacteria. White mold is from water vapor

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2 because, you know, I love Tapatalk 2.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
Good question & short answer = I don't know. White mold is the beginning stage resulting from stagnant humidity - when caught early enough, it can simply be wiped off (capped head) & in my experience doesn't change the taste of the cigar. Only ever happens in a paper lined box to me - I pull them from the box & place in another non-paper lined box and it doesn't come back; other times I've just left the lid cracked in the humidor so that the air can circulate a bit & never had a problem. Just my .02 - take it for what it's worth.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Get a refund if you are concerned. If a refund isn't possible, I'd wipe and burn without much of a concern. Or send to me. :)

strife

Watcher of the Sky
Rating - 100%
107   0   1
I once smoked one that had purple mold and I lost a day. Or was that a mushroom, can't remember.