What's new

Wow, NewAir 400 on sale at Sams online

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I'd Check the rh before you way over humidify it with five bowls of distilled water and over humidified beads. My drawers alone kept mine at 60 something rh without any seasoning. Why take it higher than need be just to bring it back down if your sticks are already at your preferred rh and you have beads and bovedas for the same? If it's stable where you want it, adding sticks at the same rh won't mess it up, no point in loading just a few at a time. When it's ready to load, might as well just load it up.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I'd Check the rh before you way over humidify it with five bowls of distilled water and over humidified beads. My drawers alone kept mine at 60 something rh without any seasoning. Why take it higher than need be just to bring it back down if your sticks are already at your preferred rh and you have beads and bovedas for the same?
Was 40% out of the box. Only following directions, taking 5% over what is desired (70%) before loading. Maybe the wet beads are overkill to begin with, but I thought that could help my boveda from drying out too fast.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I did find that as the unit cooled down the humidity dropped pretty quickly. Looks like my friend Velorok is doing it the easy way, put the dw in and forget about it. I nursemaided? mine the first evening, keeping an eye on it and wetting the KL as need but it's holding great now. So far so good.

I think I'm going to stay with big trays of KL. I normally dry box my smokes with a 62% Boveda a couple of days before smoking anyway so if it runs in the high 60s I'm fine.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I did find that as the unit cooled down the humidity dropped pretty quickly. Looks like my friend Velorok is doing it the easy way, put the dw in and forget about it. I nursemaided? mine the first evening, keeping an eye on it and wetting the KL as need but it's holding great now. So far so good.

I think I'm going to stay with big trays of KL. I normally dry box my smokes with a 62% Boveda a couple of days before smoking anyway so if it runs in the high 60s I'm fine.
Wouldn't the rh go up if the temperature dropped? Assuming the same amount of water is in the air, cooler air can hold less, thus the relative number should raise, right?

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
RH will drop while the unit is running.

I also noticed that when my fans kick on, my hygrometers read lower than they should. I'm assuming its from the air movement across the hygrometers causing a false reading. It springs back shortly after the fans shut off. The RH will fluctuate more on an empty unit than a full one.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am opening the unit to wet the kl so you can't assume a closed system. Just put some new Zederkoff hygrometers in the cooler. I hope they just take a couple of hours to acclimate because they are showing some weird numbers. The two hygrometers I've been using and the analog hygrometer provided with the Newair are showing great numbers.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I am opening the unit to wet the kl so you can't assume a closed system. Just put some new Zederkoff hygrometers in the cooler. I hope they just take a couple of hours to acclimate because they are showing some weird numbers. The two hygrometers I've been using and the analog hygrometer provided with the Newair are showing great numbers.
My analog built into the drawer is about 15% lower than my calibrated hygrometer. Which one to trust ?

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
@Boudie how's everything holding up? I got a reading of 70% last night (as per manufacturer's recommended 5% over where I want to hold) and loaded up. Was holding ~62% this morning which I'm fine with. Wonder how long it'll take to climb back up? The cigars I put in were probably 72° or so, so the cooler had to work all night to bring the temp down to 65°. Had to set it to 61° to get there. All in all I'm very pleased thus far.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The analog is running at 68% and my digital hygro is at 60%. Still struggling to keep the temps down. I finished loading it this morning and rearranged to allow better air circulation. I think I just need to give it some time to settle down. The Zederkoffs I bought are still running low. Nothing to be concerned about at this time so I'll just let it run and not open it for 24 hours.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
The analog is running at 68% and my digital hygro is at 60%. Still struggling to keep the temps down. I finished loading it this morning and rearranged to allow better air circulation. I think I just need to give it some time to settle down. The Zederkoffs I bought are still running low. Nothing to be concerned about at this time so I'll just let it run and not open it for 24 hours.
As a general rule you can pretty much ignore the analog hygrometers that come built in.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pretty much where I am, stuck in the low 60s. I placed some open pans of distilled water on the shelves and dampened the KL. I also moved the unit away from the wall and placed a fan to blow air against the cooling fins. My temps are holding better now.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Velorok,

Now that you have had if for a couple of weeks, what do you think? Is it holding humidity and temp the way you want?

I find mine tends to run low on humidity around 62 with KL and only drops room temp about 13 degrees. If the house is at 80 the Newair is at 67 or 68. Still within the parameters but not quite where I want it to be. I did add a couple of computer fans on a timer and they helped even everything out.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
Velorok,

Now that you have had if for a couple of weeks, what do you think? Is it holding humidity and temp the way you want?

I find mine tends to run low on humidity around 62 with KL and only drops room temp about 13 degrees. If the house is at 80 the Newair is at 67 or 68. Still within the parameters but not quite where I want it to be. I did add a couple of computer fans on a timer and they helped even everything out.
Sounds about right, they'll usually cool to about 10-15 degrees below room temp. Need to watch what computer fans you use, the first set I installed raised the temp quite a bit in the short time they ran.

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Velorok,

Yeah the temp is holding great, right at 65°. Humidity is still slowly rising, holding at 63% the last few days; up from the dip it took down to 55% when I put all the empty boxes in. I've got four large 65% boveda in there, and a bunch of the little 69% which should help get that final boost up to 65% without my 65s drying out. But yeah so far I am pleased. I do wish the fan was a little quieter. I keep it in my bedroom and I definitely notice it when I'm going to bed.